Author Topic: Oxford, Highclere Castle and the Cotswolds  (Read 12661 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Oxford, Highclere Castle and the Cotswolds
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:51:44 pm »
We had a nice 3 day coach trip travelling to Oxford on the first day and had a sightseeing bus trip around this beautiful city. The following day it was a visit to Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey) and it's grounds and then onto Winchester where we had some time looking around there.
Coming home on the 3rd day, we stopped at the picturesque villages of Bourton on the water, Stow in the wold and Moreton in the Marsh before carrying on on our long journey back.
It was a busy 3 days but well worth it.

Offline Hugo

Re: Oxford, Highclere Castle and the Cotswolds
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »
Highclere Castle and Winchester Cathedral

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »
Bourton on the water

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:18:46 pm »
That's a great part of the country.  We also like Stow on the Wold and Burford which are not too far away from Bourton.   In fact there are lots of nice country villages in that area.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »
I've heard about Burford but never been there although it's supposed to be one of the nicest villages there. Have you any photos of it Yorkie that you could post here?
Another village I like in the Cotswolds is Broadway, it's so beautiful that it's unbelievable. 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »
Piccies of Burford which is essentially a one street village, and the Lygon Arms at Broadway, stay here and it is an experience never to be forgotten.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »
Thanks Yorkie,  I'm going to the Cotswolds in December so I hope that we can visit Burford as it does look nice.   

Offline hollins

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 06:27:00 pm »
I am pleased you have had a nice break Hugo and I have enjoyed reading about your trip and looking at your photos.
The villages of Lower and Upper Slaughter are also very attractive.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »
Yorkie, you've got good taste with the Lygon Arms in Broadway but I've just checked the prices   :o
I've been getting e-mails from the Four Pillars Hotel at the Cotswolds Water Park and they have had some good offers on so I'm a bit tempted to go there.   ?{}?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:13:24 pm »
It's been a few years since I was at the Lygon Arms, doubt I could afford it now on the olde pension!   ;) 

Another nice village is Moreton in the Marsh, although the whole area is worthy of a visit.    ;D
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:36:00 pm »
The Barcelo Lygon Arms sounds really good and who knows one day I may be able to go there.  We went on a two night D and BB basis and stayed in another 4 star Barcelo hotel in Basingstoke which was very good too.  Also included in the price of £125.00 with Voel Coaches was an excursion to Winchester and our admission to Highclere Castle and the grounds which we thought was very good value for  money.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »
The Barcelo Hotels in Spain and the Spanish Islands are very nice for holidays - not that we go to the Spanish Islands that often!   :D
Cicero

Offline emma p

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »
Looks lovely hugo.
My mom and dad had a holiday in the cotswolds, quite a few years ago now, but i know mom loved it. They hired a little holiday cottage and toured the area.
What was Highclere Castle like......i loved Downton Abbey.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:39:00 am »
It's really lovely Emma, in fact we went around the house twice.  It's not dark and dingy like a lot of old stately homes are. It was bright and cheerful and the main hall was unbelievable.  It was massive and was like an open courtyard as the roof  which was 3 storeys up was glass and the light just shone through and lit the place up.
No photographs could be taken inside and there is no guided tour around the house but instead they have guides in each room that tell you all about the history of the place.
The Queen when she visits there always stays in the same room but there are other rooms there which are equally as nice. Well worth. a visit and I'm looking forward to the next series on TV

Offline hollins

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:43:33 am »
Hugo, I don't know if you got fixed up for your Cotswold trip in December but I received this offer from Travelzoo this morning which may be of interest to you.
I have stayed at this hotel in Upper Slaughter. It is very good.

http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/local-deals/deal/5398