Author Topic: Subbuteo Table Soccer  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Campag Kid

Subbuteo Table Soccer
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:23:21 pm »
Does anyone remember the Subbuteo leagues that were around in the early 70s? There was a Llandudno league, another in Craig-y-don as well as one in Mochdre. The Llandudno league was run by Ron Beswick of Rhuddlan Avenue and his son Mark was a very good player. In 1974 there was a Subbuteo World Cup tournament held and there were knock-out games arranged to find the player to represent Wales at the finals in Germany. I was knocked out by David Lyon from the Craig-y-Don league and he apparently went onto the later stages in South Wales where he qualified for a trip to Germany!

Any other 'flick-to-kickers' out there with memories of Subbuteo?

Offline Trojan

Re: Subbuteo Table Soccer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:21:12 pm »
I used to play at friends' houses, but never played in a league.

David Lyon.....his family ran Lyons' Sports?

I remember the Beswick family from Rhuddlan Ave, they used to live at the top close to the junction with Bodnant Road. Malcolm Beswick I particularly remember - big Manchester City fan.

http://youtu.be/amMURhjDFfs

Offline Campag Kid

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:23:29 pm »
I'm not sure about the Lyon's Sport link, but yes, the Beswicks did live up towards the top of Rhuddlan Avenue. (Thanks for reminding me that it was Malcolm, not Mark). They were season ticket holders at Maine Road and I recall going with them to matches on at least a couple of occasions during the Rodney Marsh era.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:44:37 am »
I'm not sure about the Lyon's Sport link, but yes, the Beswicks did live up towards the top of Rhuddlan Avenue. (Thanks for reminding me that it was Malcolm, not Mark). They were season ticket holders at Maine Road and I recall going with them to matches on at least a couple of occasions during the Rodney Marsh era.

I think the family may originally have been from Manchester, Beswick is an area of east Manchester (M11) and ironically, Manchester City now play their home games in the area after moving from Maine Road.
I remember back in the '70's Malcolm drove a dark blue Triumph Herald, which was slightly customised inside. I always remember he had a Glasgow Celtic badge on display near the gear lever. I suppose it was one affinity we shared, with him being a blue and myself being a red.

Offline matthew.harrop@talk21.com

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »
Hi - I am selling a Subbuteo set I found in a charity shop in Llandudno - it is full of interesting stuff relating to Malcolm Beswick and all the other leagues mentoned here!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180945621794?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Matt

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 08:59:04 pm »
What a find!  D)

Which Charity shop was it out of interest?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:53:26 am »
I have since informed my brother-in-law living in Nuneaton as it was his late brother, David Farrell, who was the other named player.