Author Topic: Local services  (Read 16199 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Disabled People.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 07:48:27 am »

First let me explain: people are disabled by the obstacles thrown up by the society they live in and NOT by any impairments they have from accident or disease; obstacles which are any barriers which discriminate against them.

I'm abled bodied and I'm discriminated in a major way when it comes to Parking. Everywhere you go in Llandudno there is an overabundance of free parking for the disabled and yet they are still allowed to ignore it, finding it far more convenient to abandon their vehicles on yellow lines and road junctions or any other inconvenient spot they so choose. How’s that for discrimination in action?  $angry$ $angry$ $angry$.....

Brilliant!!! Thanks for making Micox's ludicrous point completely valid by lumping all of "them" in together. I'm disabled and I don't even drive, never mind find it more convenient to abandon my vehicle on yellow lines  $good$  &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:34 am »
people are disabled by the obstacles thrown up by the society they live in and NOT by any impairments they have from accident or disease

Interesting view, but one with which I take issue. To take but one example, the Blind person is disabled.  Their disability has nothing whatsoever to do with "the obstacles thrown up by the society they live in".  Eyesight is essential for almost all organisms to function, other than bats, moles and many deep-sea species. In fact, if anything the opposite is true.  It's emphatically because society creates aids for the visually impaired that they can function at all.  It could also be argued that, for an example "of stigma and prejudice", it's really not necessary to look much further than your post.

Immense strides in accommodating the needs of the less-able have been made in the past thirty years. Things aren't perfect, partly because there are so many types of disability but - as a society - we do a lot more than some.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:02 am »
I suspect...  $drink1$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 11:30:39 am »
I suspect...  $drink1$

I suspect... the chip on Micox's shoulder is big enough to qualify for a disability allowance on it's own

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:32 am »
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 02:29:44 pm »
 ZXZ
Micox

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 07:01:29 pm »
I am disabled but in my short time on the forum I have never seen anything untoward on
disabilty. I myself have had two strokes two replacement hips and waiting on a new knee
joint and very deaf in both ears.there are many types of disabilty Iam one of the lucky ones.
micox why dont you say what is on your mind. with my disabilty it has been   twenty years.
with all due respect I see you are in a wheelchair.myself i have had no problems I have upgraded
to big four wheel scooter and yes I would like riders take a  test. I blame those days when my
mates and me would walk back from colwyn bay after missing the last bus after chatting the girls
up but found a nice lass in llandudno still remember her name pauline perrine those were days

thanks  romanjohn

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:07 pm »
There might have been the odd joke on the 'Dreadful Jokes' thread.... but other that, I agree, nothing!

Born to Run.... you are not disabled.  Other than your debilitating addictions to Facebook and Scottish football.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »
There might have been the odd joke on the 'Dreadful Jokes' thread.... but other that, I agree, nothing!

Born to Run.... you are not disabled.  Other than your debilitating addictions to Facebook and Scottish football.

I am disabled thank you Fester, Not all disabilities are visible - it doesn't mean they're not real. That makes you number 1 guilty person on the prejudice of disabilities on the forum!! (are forum that has several examples of such apparently)

In all seriousness though I so have a  neurological disorder, which means I cannot do things like write with a pen for more than a couple of lines or drive a car. To be honest and going back the the original point I can't say I've experienced any real prejudice or stigma since school, my employee for example has been brilliant, as have my colleagues in the rare times it may affect my work.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »
You can explain the finer points of this to me tomorrow night, when we play darts... and you will be writing many lines, but
in chalk!

Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:22 pm »
Speaking of which we are now joint bottom 6 points behind our closest rivals, I think some Detonation is in order tomorrow night  $good$

Offline tonyf

Buses
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »
My good lady wife and I had a very enjoyable 5 days back in the old town staying in a lovely little B&B on the Little Orme. We chose this B&B for 2 reasons, a good write up from trip adviser (we weren’t disappointed) and ample parking. We intended to leave the car and travel into and back from town by bus. I must stress that it was during the high temperatures experienced last month. So far so good, however some of the drivers were downright surly and uncooperative, one particular chap (we came across him twice) took a perverse pleasure in going past the stop you rang for to the next stop. We are both fit so it didn’t really matter except for the earache I got from my good lady. On another occasion with the temperature in the 80s, the bus stopped opposite the coach park for 15 minutes in the sweltering heat (3 passengers got off and walked, to where I have no idea) whilst the driver awaited his lunch break relief who eventually turned up in a car that the off duty driver then got in and drove off, unbelievable. After the fourth day we discovered a taxi from top of town to our B&B was £4.80 whereas the bus fare for 2 singles was £5.20? so guess what we opted for after that? much more pleasant! Just a gripe to get it off my chest really. However it was sad day, in my opinion when Crossville and to some extent the Red Buses ceased operating!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Buses
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 09:10:26 pm »
We've discussed this before, the buses are far too expensive, mainly because only a few have to pay! Surely a bus should be the cheapest form of public transport?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Local services
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »
A 7 day unlimited ticket for Arriva buses throughout North Wales and the North West of England is £19.00.  If you use it everyday that's a maximum of just under £3 a day irrespective of number of journeys.

Offline tonyf

Re: Local services
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »
 ZXZTo be fair, I wasn't moaning about the price of a bus fare (I've paid worse) but more the fact that without being informed, a bus can stop and await a relief driver who is 15 minutes late in the blistering heat just because of a lunch break. What about the well being of the passengers a lot of whom were elderly and believe me it was oppressively hot. What do you do, get off which 3 people did or hang on in the hope the relief will turn up soon? Bad management!