Author Topic: Local services  (Read 16129 times)

Offline chemirocha

Re: Dentists
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:41 pm »
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I need to go round and see what they're like. One of the problems is that it is difficult to try them because of the cost of the initial appointment - xrays and what not. Never mind, I need to bite the bullet - hmmm maybe not the best phrase to use about dentists!

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP)
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:30:20 am »
This may seem a stupid question and if it is then I apologise. :-[

I am aware the ALP at Llandudno Fire Station was relocated to Wrexham only a few days ago.

Had it still been based in Llandudno, it could have travelled along the A55 East and parked in the inside lane of the A55 opposite the distressed MV Carrier.

From there could the long ladder have been used to help rescue the seven crew members without the two helicopters being used?

Offline alw

Re: Aerial Ladder Platform (ALP)
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 09:21:02 am »

The ALP at Rhyl is now the nearest and was readily available.

There would be two operational problems that would rule out using the ALP for rescues at this incident.

1. the high winds would have either severely limited, or prevented it's use at all during the rescue phase.

2. lack of suitable hard standing - the ship is too far out from the A55 for the ALP to reach above it from there and the cycle track would not have been able to support the weight of the outriggers on the ALP.

Although these appliances are versatile, their main use is as a water tower and they actually operate within a very close envelope.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 10:11:11 am »
and thats another strong reason why thhe ladder should be still at llandudno , that part closed the other night , and the bangor side closed a few weeks ago ,if either one was busy, what would have happened ,mind you as iv,e always said station by glan conwy corner covers everywhere.

Offline coastal taff

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »
I have heard from a local Councillor that Rhyl have trouble manning their ALP.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »
Yes, taff.  If you look at the reports (links elsewhere on the topic) you can see that on at least 8 occasions in 18 months, the Llandudno one had to go to cover for Rhyl as theirs could not be turned out. That's only the times Llandudno was called not when the Rhyl one was actually unavailable.

Decision was loaded against Conwy.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »
It STINKS!  &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Karen and Derek

Re: Education in the 3 towns area
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:10 pm »
A new 'Super College'' has been formed by merging Llandrillo and Menai colleges, catering for 34,000 students!

See the article..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-16121419

When I first read Festers headline, it suggested to me that students had to take some classes at Llandrillo, then make their way over to Menai for additional classes.  :)

I must have been thinking of the two John Bright schools once upon a time. They were only about a mile apart though.

Karen.

Offline Bri Roberts

Re: Education in the 3 towns area
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »
2 x John Brights?    $good$

I didn't think you pair were that old.  :o

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 08:00:20 am »
Apparently, an Aerial Ladder Platform had to travel over from Rhyl to Llandudno to help fight the fire at the Tudno Castle Hotel in the early hours of Saturday morning along with two fire crews from Llandudno and another fire crew from Conwy.

What a good job the hotel was not full of residents as it would have been a few years ago over the last weekend in July.   

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:01 am »
Wasn't the fire on the ground floor?

"A fire service spokeswoman said the blaze was arson and was confined to one room on the ground floor."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 08:54:16 am »
If the owners emptied the building of its furnishings, it would be far more difficult to start a fire inside.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/07/30/arson-attack-on-derelict-hotel-in-llandudno-55578-31505132/

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »
Judith Phillips has just tweeted:

"Traffic chaos on the A55 today highlights the fire service aerial platform issue.

Read about it in tomorrow's North wales Weekly News."

Offline dwsi

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »
Judith Phillips has just tweeted:

"Traffic chaos on the A55 today highlights the fire service aerial platform issue.

Read about it in tomorrow's North wales Weekly News."

Llandudno hotel fire sparks response time fears
http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2012/08/02/llandudno-hotel-fire-sparks-response-time-fears-55243-31526759/

CAMPAIGNERS are furious after a vital piece of firefighting equipment took 26 minutes to reach a blaze which broke out in a derelict hotel in the middle of the night.
They say the length of time it took for the aerial ladder platform (ALP) to travel from Rhyl to Llandudno at 2.15am on Saturday blows a hole in claims that a 30-minute reponse time at peak traffic times is achievable.
And hotelier David Williams, chairman of the resort’s Hospitality Association which backed a Weekly News campaign to keep the ALP in Llandudno and not transfer it to Rhyl, feels lives are being put at risk.
“The time it took the ALP to reach Llandudno in the middle of the night when the roads would have been quiet bears out what we were saying,” he said.

“We don’t want to see a loss of life just to prove our point, and I urge North Wales Fire Service to reconsider its decision.
“Relocating the ladder platform to Colwyn Bay would have been acceptable, but this incident has proved that taking it to Rhyl means their projection of a 30-minute response time even when the roads are busy doesn’t stand up,” he said.
He added that if the derelict Tudno Castle Hotel in Vaughan Street had been occupied at the time of the fire, lives would have been at risk.
It’s a view echoed by county councillor and hotelier Janet Haworth who said she would be contacting Conwy MP Guto Bebb to ask him to raise the issue again with the Fire Authority.
“I have said all along that the projected response time from Rhyl, which was based on computer modelling, was unrealistic and places people in high rise buildings in Llandudno at risk,” she said.
“If there is a lot of traffic on the A55 it’s going to slow down the journey.”
And resident Ian Turner, who vociferously backed our campaign, added: “I believe people could die if the ALP is kept in Rhyl and this response time in the middle of the night bears that out.”
Yesterday an overturned lorry blocked the eastbound A55 between Bangor and Llanfairfechan, meaning the road was completely blocked for hours.
“This is a perfect example of the sort of thing that happens on the A55 regularly, and a fire engine even, with its blue lights flashing, wouldn’t be able to get through,” he stressed.
There are 1,700 tall buildings in Llandudno on a list which stipulates an ALP should attend if fire breaks out. When the Weekly News started its campaign to keep the equipment in Llandudno in March, 700 people signed a petition in only two weeks.
But despite calls from the town and county councils and politicians to change its mind, the Fire Authority pressed ahead with its plans to reduce the number of ALPs in North Wales from four to three and transfer the Llandudno platform to Rhyl.
The Fire Service said the fire at the Tudno Castle Hotel was as the result of arson.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:36 am »
Let’s hope the Llandudno Hospitality Association is successful.

BTW, I just unsuccessfully tried to search for the association’s website.

Is this association really a Private Limited Company with shareholders?