Author Topic: Remember Remember the 5th of November: Facebook Will Be Destroyed  (Read 4647 times)

Offline crd

November 5th has long been known to be the day Guy Fawkes attempted to kill King James I and several politicians by trying to blow up London's House of Lords. Often referred to as Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night, the incident was immortalized by the popular children's rhyme and the movie 'V for Vendetta.'

Now, cyber hackers, Anonymous, are trying to add a bit more history to the 5th of November, by making it the day that Facebook will be destroyed. On July 16, a Twitter account created by the group sent out a single tweet saying “Message from Anonymous: Operation Facebook, Nov 5 2011.” The tweet featured a link to an uploaded YouTube video which used a computerized voice to deliver this message:

“Attention citizens of the world, we are anonymous. We wish to get your attention, hoping you heed the warnings as follows. Your medium of communication you all so dearly adore will be destroyed. If you are a willing hacktivist or a guy who just wants to protect the freedom of information, then join the cause and kill Facebook for the sake of your own privacy. Facebook has been selling information to government agencies and giving clandestine access to information security firms so that they can spy on people from all around the world. Some of these whitehat infosec firms are working for authoritarian governments such as those of Egypt and Syria.

Everything you do on Facebook stays on Facebook regardless of your 'privacy settings', and deleting your account is impossible. Even if you 'delete' your account, all your personal info stays on Facebook and can be recovered at any time. Changing the privacy settings to make your Facebook account more private is also a delusion. Facebook knows more about you than your family. You cannot hide from the reality in which you, the people of the internet, live in.

Facebook is the opposite of the Antisec cause. You are not safe from them nor from any government. One day you will look back on this and realise what we have done here is right, you will thank the rulers of the internet, we are not harming you but saving you. Think for a while and prepare for a day that will go down in history. November 5th 2011. We are anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.”

Anonymous has been known to wear Guy Fawkes hats, so this isn't the first time they are connecting themselves to the Gunpowder Treason. They have also been known for high profile attacks on official and government websites in the United States as a response to Internet censorship. They have claimed hacks into PayPal, Visa, the Iranian government, and tech companies that work for the FBI and other government agencies.

The 'hacktivists' are supporters of WikiLeaks, and their attacks have often involved stealing emails, acquiring personal information, and retrieving credit card details. Using a dozen or so YouTube and Twitter accounts, the group posts about their various attacks, as well as videos, such as those created in Tunisia during the revolt last January.

It seems, however, that Anonymous has largely undefined barriers, and are without an official spokesperson. Because of this, it is difficult to gauge how much weight is behind their Facebook threat. Sources have also revealed that Anonymous has actually joined with LulzSec, another hacking group which hacks more for entertainment that political philosophy. This could be why internet security expert as well as co-founder and CEO of Kaspersky Lab, Eugene Kapersky tweeted “The news around #Anonymous to attack #Facebook on Nov 5 most probably is fake.”

Facebook, which was started in 2005 by Mark Zuckerberg has over 750 million users worldwide. Zuckerberg, who is estimated to be worth £8.3 billion, has always been questioned about the privacy policy of Facebook and the rumors that the site passes information to other sources.

Facebook spokespersons have declined to comment on the alleged attack or the claims made in the video.

Offline Yorkie

Re: Remember Remember the 5th of November: Facebook Will Be Destroyed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:38:56 pm »
It all sounds very exciting!   <:<:<:<
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »
Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Who are they to decide which websites we can and cant use? We all have the choice ourselves if we use them or not.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:28:59 pm »
Quite right too.  You didn't see the grin on my face when I posted my last comment!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:59:52 pm »
If it is destroyed, (and I don't are if it is, because I'm no fan of it) I will keenly await its replacement... and buy shares in it immediately!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:09:39 am »
Anonymous.....is that the same Oscar poster?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »
cyber hackers, Anonymous, are trying to add a bit more history to the 5th of November, by making it the day that Facebook will be destroyed. On July 16, a Twitter account created by the group sent out a single tweet saying “Message from Anonymous: Operation Facebook, Nov 5 2011.”
So...the operation to destroy Facebook wasn't a complete success then?  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »
Ha ha ... it might have been,  I've not heard from my daughter in a while!   
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:42:10 am »
Nor from mine--- perhaps they have all disappeared into their own lap-tops ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.