Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613036 times)

Offline Daihardwelshman

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7290 on: November 04, 2016, 10:22:15 am »
The steel structure has started to go up on the new Police Station..... Looks very Tall :o :o :o

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7291 on: November 13, 2016, 04:48:18 pm »
Going underground with Llandudno's Great Orme Exploration Society.      I found this article quite interesting and the GOES website is well worth having a look at

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/169042/going-underground-with-llandudno-s-great-orme-exploration-society.aspx#.WChg1ZmhK_Q.email

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7292 on: November 13, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »
Going underground with Llandudno's Great Orme Exploration Society.      I found this article quite interesting and the GOES website is well worth having a look at
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/169042/going-underground-with-llandudno-s-great-orme-exploration-society.aspx#.WChg1ZmhK_Q.email

That entrance they are descending is extremely close to the pier pavillion site, in fact only a few metres ?   &shake&

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #7293 on: November 13, 2016, 09:43:19 pm »
The escape passageway of Ty Gwyn Mine would actually break out into the Pier Pavilion Site if there was a major rock fall which blocked the normal way out
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7294 on: November 14, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »
What does the area around Madoc Street need? Why, another beautician of course! Just opened on Trinity Avenue near Just Jentz (hate that spelling) barbers. I could that as 5(?) within 100 metres now...
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7295 on: November 15, 2016, 11:24:38 am »
Doesn't say a lot about the beauties that live around that area

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7296 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:31 pm »
Ahem, just what are you trying to say OrmeGolf?  :'(
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7297 on: November 17, 2016, 02:21:11 pm »
Just arrived back from a very wet trip down the length of Madoc Street. I pity the poor stall holders at the Llandudno Christmas Fayre as it keeps lashing it down and blowing a gale.
The entry fee is now £2.00, or £5.00 for more than one day. Not many people around,but hardly surprising given the weather.
Lots of cheese if you need some ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7298 on: November 20, 2016, 12:58:29 pm »
I went to watch my friend run in the Conwy Half Marathon today and the route should have  been from Conwy along the cycle track to the West Shore. Then along Church Walks, around the Marine Drive returning along the West Shore cycle track to Conwy.
That was the official route but because the West Shore cycle track is now a sand dune the race was rerouted along the main road and caused some traffic problems at the West Shore.
There was an estimated turn out of about 3,000 so the event was very well supported by entrants from all over the UK and some were from abroad too.   The weather was good for running so that was a bonus too.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7299 on: November 21, 2016, 06:04:55 pm »
It's bloomin' ROUGH out there right now!
A vicious northerly gale, approx 55 mph coming off the sea.
The rain is lashing down, mixed in with sleet.
It's not going to ease down until after 10pm.

Quite a bit of structure damage spotted around town whilst with Dave R today, on Clonmel St, the back street was cordoned off for safety, with debris everywhere.   
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7300 on: November 21, 2016, 10:22:34 pm »
When I drove down the Promenade this afternoon CCBC were closing those small  flood gates at the top of St Georges Place but sea water had already started to flow off the prom. Hope that it worked because there was a strong surge on the sea.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7301 on: November 23, 2016, 12:04:00 pm »
Another problem for the pier.

Urgent appeal for £500k to ensure MV Balmoral returns to Llandudno.

THE loss of a historic pleasure steamer could prove a severe blow to Llandudno, tourism chiefs have warned.
Owners of the MV Balmoral have announced an urgent appeal for funding after cancelled excursions led to financial difficulty, meaning next year’s trips may not go ahead.
http://m.northwalespioneer.co.uk/mobile/mnews/169383/urgent-appeal-for-500k-to-ensure-mv-balmoral-returns-to-llandudno.aspx

Offline Dave

« Reply #7302 on: November 23, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »
The article says that the Balmoral didn't do well in other areas but proved popular in Llandudno. Maybe the answer is more sailings from here next year.
It would be interesting to find out how many passengers get on and off in Llandudno and how much revenue they bring to the town. Llandudno has already invested heavily in their favour already with the work done to, preferential usage and fee free docking on the pier.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7303 on: November 23, 2016, 11:56:57 pm »
The article says that the Balmoral didn't do well in other areas but proved popular in Llandudno. Maybe the answer is more sailings from here next year.
It would be interesting to find out how many passengers get on and off in Llandudno and how much revenue they bring to the town. Llandudno has already invested heavily in their favour already with the work done to, preferential usage and fee free docking on the pier.

The sailings bring zero revenue to the town,  they simply take large numbers out of the town for the day, who rush off back to their hotels or cars the minute they arrive back.
Trade on those days is little short of disastrous.
I would sink the Balmoral if I was feeling selfish.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #7304 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:09 am »

The sailings bring zero revenue to the town,  they simply take large numbers out of the town for the day, who rush off back to their hotels or cars the minute they arrive back.
Trade on those days is little short of disastrous.
I would sink the Balmoral if I was feeling selfish.

But if they fill hotel rooms that has to be an overall benefit to the town and it's businesses. The same logic about daily spend applies to coach day trips too but anyone staying for a week isn't going to want to stroll down the pier everyday are they?