Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612898 times)

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7245 on: September 17, 2016, 09:12:56 pm »
sorry wrong photo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7246 on: September 17, 2016, 11:03:26 pm »
Fab photos Hugo.
Where were you standing to get the great almost overhead shot of the pier in the first photo?

On the hill next to the cable car

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7247 on: September 19, 2016, 09:45:22 am »
The new Lifeboat Station is coming along nicely:

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7248 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:01 pm »
The biggest let-down was the state of a well-known store on the main street( WHSmith )and how they think they would get away with presenting themselves like this is beyond me. The windows were covered in old sticky tape residue, ripped parts from old posters and current posters had fallen down. To be honest I didn't dare go inside for fear of being covered in cobwebs or stock falling on me. It used to be the case that senior management visited stores on a regular basis to check how everything was being run and presented to the public. I guess that doesn't happen any more and the shop is just waiting to be closed down.

I think they must have read your comments O.M. They have done an excellent job on the exterior of the building and renovating the Victorian canopy, a credit to Llandudno,                (however the interior is just the same and the window displays are unexciting.) 

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7249 on: September 20, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »
There was a film crew by the jetty this afternoon involving a speedboat, three large rubber rings and three male actors.

I asked one of the cameramen what it was all about and he informed me they were making an advert for Remington razors.

Fortunately, the sun was shining so Llandudno will eventually benefit.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7250 on: September 28, 2016, 04:35:20 pm »
Why there has been no start on the new police station in Oxford Road

....................................... $good$

I am pleased to report Dawnus are now onsite.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7251 on: September 29, 2016, 02:45:17 pm »
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #7252 on: September 29, 2016, 03:59:28 pm »
It beggars belief that staff at Llandudno Pier took this person on bearing in mind all the young children that visit the Pier. Surely they must have known he had offended in 2010 while working at another amusement arcade, as I'm sure offenders have to declare their offences when applying for a job. Don't they have Probation Officers monitoring these people anymore.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7253 on: October 05, 2016, 10:31:44 am »
Cyclists are to be officially allowed on Llandudno Promenade on a permanent basis.

Campaigners have fought hard for many years to allow cyclists on the promenade, while others opposed the idea believing it could cause accidents, especially during the busy summer months.

However, after a 12-month trial in 2013 Conwy County Council has concluded cyclists posed no threat to walkers enjoying a stroll along the seafront.

But to legally allow cycling along the promenade a local bylaw dating from 1988 which bans bicycles and tricycles on the promenade will now have to be amended. The local authority anticipates this will take until the New Year.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-you-say-cyclists-being-11979340

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7254 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:57 pm »
In the interest of safety, I believe cyclists should be required to dismount on the promenade near the entrance to the pier during the summer months.

Does anybody agree with me?

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #7255 on: October 05, 2016, 01:13:34 pm »
HI Bri - yes I agree.

Cyclists and pedestrians don't mix anywhere.

I sat on he prom one day in August and I was delighted to see so many people walking on the prom.

As you suggest, prohibit cycling, perhaps from the pier end to somewhere much safer over toward Craig y Don end from Easter until the end of half term in October.

Llandudno's prom is what makes it different.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7256 on: October 05, 2016, 01:41:18 pm »
I was initially sceptical about allowing cycling on the Prom but, with the exception of the odd idiot going far too fast, it seems to work pretty well.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7257 on: October 05, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
In the interest of safety, I believe cyclists should be required to dismount on the promenade near the entrance to the pier during the summer months.
Does anybody agree with me?

I agree with every comment above, with speed being the biggest issue and how to control it........  &shake&

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7258 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:47 pm »
As someone who both walks the prom and cycles it, I can assure you that as always, there are two sides to every story. For every speeding idiot on a bike, there are double the number of walkers who, having seen you, very deliberately step out in front of your path at the last moment. What point they are trying to prove, I have no idea. Other walkers can get very abusive indeed - even when you are nowhere near them.

Reckless and belligerent mobility scooter riders, now that's an issue........
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7259 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:31 am »

Reckless and belligerent mobility scooter riders

Yeah sorry about that
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.