Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2647588 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7215 on: September 08, 2016, 09:02:41 am »
Of course, Colwyn Bay is now the jet ski capital of North Wales, surpassing Llandudno for once.

I'm guessing the "for once" is ironic?

Colwyn Bay

Lionel Ritchie/Elton John calibre of artist every year
Large purpose built modern sports and entertainment staduim
BBC Proms in the park
One of the best rugby teams in Wales
40s Festival
Beach with WiFi and ..... sand!
The much maligned (on here) Watersports and resturant complex

Llandudno

The Extravaganza

$good$

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7216 on: September 08, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »
Colwyn Bay needs it though.

I live in Llandudno and consider myself very lucky to do. In my opinion it's a more desirable place to live and has booming tourism industry.

Conwy Council are doing their best (for the most part) to help Colwyn Bay become an events hub. They need the investment as the reputation of the town has been so low for so long.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline BMD

« Reply #7217 on: September 08, 2016, 02:01:48 pm »

I live in Llandudno and consider myself very lucky to do. In my opinion it's a more desirable place to live and has booming tourism industry.

Conwy Council are doing their best (for the most part) to help Colwyn Bay become an events hub. They need the investment as the reputation of the town has been so low for so long.

Aside from all else, Llandudno has basic town-planning more in its favour. And Colwyn Bay (the town) is separated from the prom by the A55 and the rail embankment. Of course, there's access to the beach, but it doesn't really fit together like Llandudno. Porth Eirias and the events over at Eirias Park don't really help in this respect. An "events hub" doesn't make a nice town, unfortunately. As a result, Colwyn Bay feels distinctly run down, unlike Llandudno, even though both towns have their share of dilapidated and vacant premises. In Colwyn Bay the run-down buildings seem more prominent (eg the Imperial Hotel, and even the in-use Prince Madoc pub, with the letters always missing from its sign, etc), so it comes across as downmarket and a tad depressing. It's a shame, because if you raise your eyes above shop-front level, those Victorian buildings are things of beauty.

Try as they might, I don't think the council has the expertise or vision to tackle this basic problem with Colwyn Bay. The things they've tried are more or less isolated, and don't make much difference to the overall "feel" of the town. I wish they'd consult someone who does have the vision and expertise at that overall town-planning level. And maybe do some serious opinion-surveys of people who live in the area, rather than the dubious after-the-event "public consultations", which are typically PR for what they've already decided.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7218 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:34 pm »

But what about the things Llandudno used to have and has no more? Never to be replaced.

Cinema
Fairground
Donkey Derby
10 Pin Bowling
The wreck on the pier (which was a dungeon when I was young)
The Arcadia Theatre
Alex Monroe and the happy valley and pier shows etc

These are just things I can remember, I bet there is a lot more.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7219 on: September 08, 2016, 02:53:57 pm »
And a skating rink by the Arcadia
I can also remember steps on the West Shore too

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #7220 on: September 08, 2016, 06:44:47 pm »
Those 2 photos of the West Shore.
How could (they ?)allow that to happen, it really has gone downhill. So many happy memories of hours spent there as a boy(1950s) and with my own boys in the 1970s.
Really making me feel old now!    :rage:

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7221 on: September 09, 2016, 07:03:07 am »
I agree about Colwyn Bay generally feeling like a more run down place. Although I don't live there I do get the impression it's on the rise, albeit very slowly. Still lots of empty shops on the high street and I don't think pedestrianisation of station road has worked (although I've never known it before tbh). There's still some good little businesses there though. I think The Station in the heart of the town has really helped.

Anyway, my point is, Llandudno people (Llandudnoians?) shouldn't get jealous about money spent on Colwyn Bay as I think it's just a case of the Bay needing the money more. That said, building a huge sandy beach at one seaside location while dumping a load of stone on another (at almost the same time) was an absolutely idiotic move by the council.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7222 on: September 09, 2016, 08:48:58 am »
I'm not sure this thread is the one to discuss Colwyn Bay but.....
I don't think many living in Llandudno begrudge the spend in the Bay, perhaps there is envy from the opposite direction. There's no doubt whereas Llandudno tends to get private investment, the Bay doesn't fair nearly as well.
Why did Colwyn Bay end up the way it did? It wasn't really the Express Way as many like to blame. The beach was already cut off by the railway so there were not too many access points from the town anyway. OK, the town centre access might have been key to shopping areas but the parking wasn't there until the now Morrisons car park was built.
What really killed off the Bay was the rise of the foreign package holiday during the late 60's. This was followed up by a glut of empty B&B properties being available for sale at bargain prices. One particular Estate Agent saw the opportunity to re-home DHSS recipients from the likes of Liverpool,Manchester and  Birmingham and placed adverts in their local press offering to pay their removal fees to relocate by the sea. An offer too good to be true. The only proviso was that the rent money was paid direct to him I believe.
The Bay's decline was pretty rapid, particularly around the centre. Those who came to live in the area must have known that job opportunities were few, most were probably relieved.
Trying to reclaim the town will be a long slow process and in a way it's sad that to do so you probably have to squeeze the less affluent out of their current living accommodation. It's begun with the redevelopment of the area around the Toad Hall, that's private investment but it's been encouraged by the council spend on the seafront.
Rhos Point has been in need of urgent attention and spend for some time but the council haven't prioritised that from what I can see, basically because the area is surrounded by private housing and a decent shopping community.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7223 on: September 09, 2016, 08:49:08 am »
I've said for a long time that Colwyn Bay has too many small empty shops that will never be filled. A programme of 'condensing' the town centre down to a more central area based around Station/Penrhyn Roads, would result in all the shops in that area being occupied and a far more vibrant feel to the place. Shops/Buildings in the outlying parts of the town centre could be demolished and rebuilt as housing or left as additional green space.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7224 on: September 09, 2016, 08:52:22 am »
Rhos Point has been in need of urgent attention and spend for some time but the council haven't prioritised that from what I can see, basically because the area is surrounded by private housing and a decent shopping community.
Absolutely right..and the question should be asked - why does CCBC need to own Rhos Point at all? Sell it off as a development site, with the proviso that the development must be completed within 5 years. I know from personal experience that local catering operators were clamouring to get their hands on the site when it first closed down several years ago.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7225 on: September 09, 2016, 09:23:15 am »
I've said for a long time that Colwyn Bay has too many small empty shops that will never be filled. A programme of 'condensing' the town centre down to a more central area based around Station/Penrhyn Roads, would result in all the shops in that area being occupied and a far more vibrant feel to the place. Shops/Buildings in the outlying parts of the town centre could be demolished and rebuilt as housing or left as additional green space.

Fantasy.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7226 on: September 09, 2016, 09:46:46 am »
Common knowledge now Dylans interested in Rhos point, but I feel we're digressing away from "What's Llandudno Like Right Now?"

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7227 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:59 pm »

Fantasy.
...except its already happening? For example. the row of empty shops at 116 - 120 Abergele Road is to be demolished and rebuilt as housing.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7228 on: September 13, 2016, 01:02:47 pm »
The Bay's shopping ability is and always has been limited. There is no reason for anyone outside of the town to travel there for shops, they have nothing that Llandudno can't offer. If they had a Primark or a  TK Maxx or a Dunelm mill things would have been different.

They have the market but that is not as busy as it was and has lost its appeal over recent years and has been steadily declining until eventually it will be gone, market traders know they'll get more business up at Tir Prince or the nearby car boot, years ago there was the Car Boot underneath what is now Bay View and that was a crowd puller, they should bring something like that back and win back some of the weekend trade that visits Rhyl or Tir Prince.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7229 on: September 14, 2016, 01:51:26 pm »
OK what am I missing, I am sitting enjoying the sun, and a large yellow truck has just gone past, lights blazing , flashers flashing........................a snow plough and gritter..(not gritting)......... &shake& &shake& &shake&