Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612026 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7020 on: May 09, 2016, 08:06:54 pm »
And the end of the long jetty is falling apart with an unsightly metal railing tied to it.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #7021 on: May 09, 2016, 09:25:16 pm »
Mrs DVT and I went for a walk along the prom and pier on Sunday afternoon - very busy and the nearest spot we found to park was behind the Washington, so we got plenty of exercise walking to the end of the pier!  Loads of people, although whether or not they were spending may be debatable.  Long queue waiting the cable car as well.

What puzzled us was the amount of bits of wood floating about in the sea, seemingly tree branches - where has that come from, never been aware of that in the past.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #7022 on: May 09, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »
The debris in the sea probably came from the exceptional high tides we had this weekend conwy river was full of tree branches the large tide wil have washed the driftwood from the high water mark

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7023 on: May 10, 2016, 08:53:35 am »
The biggest let-down was the state of a well-known store on the main street and how they think they would get away with presenting themselves like this is beyond me. The windows were covered in old sticky tape residue, ripped parts from old posters and current posters had fallen down.
It's been like that for the past few years, almost unbelievable for a major national retailer like WHSMITH.  &shake&

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7024 on: May 10, 2016, 10:52:54 am »
Mrs DVT and I went for a walk along the prom and pier on Sunday afternoon - very busy and the nearest spot we found to park was behind the Washington, so we got plenty of exercise walking to the end of the pier!  Loads of people, although whether or not they were spending may be debatable.  Long queue waiting the cable car as well.

What puzzled us was the amount of bits of wood floating about in the sea, seemingly tree branches - where has that come from, never been aware of that in the past.

Funny you should say that ! We were sitting on the front at Rhos on Sunday and the sea had numerous large pieces of wood floating in it, some were very large !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7025 on: May 10, 2016, 11:38:02 am »
Not sure why nobody seems bothered by the state of our beach,now forget the stones its the bit of beach we had left which of course is gradually getting covered by the stones,nobody seems to show the slightest interest in getting them cleared away,if i had a hotel on the prom i would be going mad,donkeys,boats its all a joke and no interest.
I think you scared them Wrex.  From todays Daily Post

Expert consultants are being drafted in for the study into bringing a sandy beach back to Llandudno’s North Shore with the Welsh Government agreeing to fund the project.

Back in March 2014, the council loaded hundreds of tonnes of “shingle” onto North Shore Beach in a bid to dissipate anticipated high tides between then and 2016.
But the move sparked a backlash from some residents and traders who argued that the shingle was in fact quarry rubble and destroyed the aesthetics of the beach.

It saw the Restore Our Beach campaign start and the Llandudno Coastal Forum took up the fight.

Conwy council agreed to undertake a Beach Management Plan for Llandudno and they now say the Welsh Government has agreed “in principle” to contribute towards the project.
The Welsh Government has confirmed they will fund the study.

Llandudno Coastal Forum said that there had been step forward in the programme which will look at North and West Shore beaches.
Nigel Treacy, chairman of Llandudno Coastal Forum, said: “Conwy County Borough Council, having previously agreed to undertake a Beach Management Plan for Llandudno, are now moving forward and in the process of procuring consultants to assist with the work.

“The Beach Management Plan will review the history of beach management and coastal protection in Llandudno and assess all current and future options produced by the Llandudno Coastal Forum, considering matters such as flooding, access, amenity, environment, heritage, recreation, tourism opportunities and addressing wind-blown sand problems at West Shore.

“A consultation on ideas for the West Shore will be held shortly so that all ideas generated can be integrated into the options considered by consultants carrying out the work.”

Conwy council said: “Conwy County Borough Council are in dialogue with Welsh Government, who have agreed in principle to contribute funding towards the project.”
The Llandudno Hospitality Association said it was a huge milestone and said if the Welsh Governments funds the study money set aside by the county and town councils can be used for other projects.REF DP

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7026 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:28 pm »
Not sure why nobody seems bothered by the state of our beach,now forget the stones its the bit of beach we had left which of course is gradually getting covered by the stones,nobody seems to show the slightest interest in getting them cleared away,if i had a hotel on the prom i would be going mad,donkeys,boats its all a joke and no interest.
I think you scared them Wrex.  From todays Daily Post

“The Beach Management Plan will review the history of beach management and coastal protection in Llandudno and assess all current and future options produced by the Llandudno Coastal Forum, considering matters such as flooding, access, amenity, environment, heritage, recreation, tourism opportunities and addressing wind-blown sand problems at West Shore.

A consultation on ideas for the West Shore will be held shortly so that all ideas generated can be integrated into the options considered by consultants carrying out the work.”

Conwy council said: “Conwy County Borough Council are in dialogue with Welsh Government, who have agreed in principle to contribute funding towards the project.”

That will be very interesting Steve,   I was on the sand hills yesterday and it was a lovely place to go to and I really enjoyed the experience.    What I'd like to see and hear are explanations from the people who approved the cycle track and those that approved the sea defence of 1993 and let them explain how they got it so wrong.
I'm all for sand on sand hills as that is nature doing its job.  The dunes should be on the sand hills and not in someone's front garden.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7027 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:02 pm »
For more information on the       "Llandudno Coastal Forum"..........The forum was set up in response to the public outcry at the sea defence work on North Shore beach.

That the forum would work together to:

“Develop a Sustainable Beach Management strategy for Llandudno, which seeks to;

· provide beaches that are fit for purpose

· provide appropriate flood and coastal erosion risk management,

· improve the natural environment, recreational space and aesthetics

· create opportunities for commercial activities for the town”.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enES433ES433&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=llandudno%20coastal%20forum

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7028 on: May 10, 2016, 03:47:49 pm »
Rhos harbor was cleaned again yesterday so thats twice in a week,anyone noticed if or bit has been racked

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7029 on: May 11, 2016, 11:22:07 am »
Expert consultants are being drafted in
This is the bit that scares me....  :laugh:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7030 on: May 11, 2016, 01:52:22 pm »
Expert consultants are being drafted in
This is the bit that scares me....  :laugh:
Sounds pricey to me!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7031 on: May 11, 2016, 10:33:06 pm »
  Change the area to up the Great Orme. Sorry for all the residents living behind the Empire Hotel and the three businesses up there. Yes, that's right, I'm one of them. And Fester going to work and themedz going wherever.
  Because if you haven't already realised yourselves you've got some bad news coming your way.
  A few days ago I noticed water on the road going up the Orme just at the narrowest dogs leg section. Sure enough it's getting worse and worse by the day.
  You don't need to be a water engineer to realise that some underground pipe has burst. To cure it you will have to dig down, and give yourselves a bit of space to work. Not so far off the middle of the road.
  So, to the future. Road closed. Diversions? Not feasible up the tram track. So it's up Marine Drive, turnrun left then left again by the halfway station.
  Must make a diary note for myself. Prepare to alter alarm clock. Mike

Work taking place on the burst pipe overnight.

Strangely enough the one way system they have put in place, going up Ty Gwyn and down Old Road means going up and down the Orme seems a lot easier. Don't know where the trams fit into the equation from 10 am tomorrow.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7032 on: May 14, 2016, 09:03:24 am »
Congratulations to Mr Fester.... 2016 Llandudno and District Darts Champion!  $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7033 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:01 am »
Congrats. and well done Mr Fester.....  clappinghappy clappinghappy

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7034 on: May 14, 2016, 12:19:32 pm »
Well done Fes. :-*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.