Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2615187 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7005 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:39 pm »
We have talked on here about motorhomes parking free, on the street, and the space they take up, usually over the weekend with the expected negative comments, but how would we feel if they parked up for a month or the summer ?....

At the beginning of April I noticed a car and (commercial ) snack bar trailer (approx 35ft.) parked on Gloddaeth Ave by the car park, I joked "he had turned up early for the Extravaganza " ........it has not moved and is still there today five weeks later and as far as I can tell, he is entitled to stay there legally,   any thoughts ?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #7006 on: May 07, 2016, 01:58:59 pm »
I too have noticed the vehicle and commented to my OH that it had been there for a while. We walk past it with our dog at least twice a day and as far as we can tell it hasn't moved. My thoughts are 'What good is it doing, if it isn't being used?' I can't imagine the people who live opposite are particularly thrilled with looking at it, but as you say he is not breaching any rules. If I notice a smell of burgers I will let you know !!! :o :D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7007 on: May 07, 2016, 02:12:04 pm »
         I've also noticed it parked there for a few weeks and like Steve I thought it was parked up waiting for the Extravaganza Weekend but it hasn't moved at all. The only thing that has changed is that the O/S/R tyre on the towing vehicle has gone flat and been re-inflated twice in that time!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7008 on: May 07, 2016, 02:13:32 pm »
Someone must be missing out making their profit !

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7009 on: May 07, 2016, 06:47:26 pm »
  Change the area to up the Great Orme. Sorry for all the residents living behind the Empire Hotel and the three businesses up there. Yes, that's right, I'm one of them. And Fester going to work and themedz going wherever.
  Because if you haven't already realised yourselves you've got some bad news coming your way.
  A few days ago I noticed water on the road going up the Orme just at the narrowest dogs leg section. Sure enough it's getting worse and worse by the day.
  You don't need to be a water engineer to realise that some underground pipe has burst. To cure it you will have to dig down, and give yourselves a bit of space to work. Not so far off the middle of the road.
  So, to the future. Road closed. Diversions? Not feasible up the tram track. So it's up Marine Drive, turnrun left then left again by the halfway station.
  Must make a diary note for myself. Prepare to alter alarm clock. Mike

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7010 on: May 07, 2016, 07:05:45 pm »
There appears to be another mini stream coming from a grate on the narrow part near the Old Rectory, just below the toilets by the graveyard.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7011 on: May 07, 2016, 09:50:17 pm »
I noticed it yesterday Mike looks like a big job coming up,how long before it gets fixed I wonder. Watch this space superpose.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7012 on: May 07, 2016, 11:52:02 pm »
They had a similar  burst problem further down the road and that was controlled by using traffic lights. Getting down that part of the road with the current water problem with cars parked and buses coming up and down is a pain at the best of times. Just need to synchronise any traffic lights with those at Black Gate or the Tram bell will be incessant again as cars get loaded into the box junction at Black Gate.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7013 on: May 08, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »
A few days ago I noticed water on the road going up the Orme just at the narrowest dogs leg section.

Never seen water going up a road.  Might be able to make it an attraction  ;) ;) ;)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline HunkyDory

« Reply #7014 on: May 09, 2016, 09:51:56 am »
Hi everyone…once again, than you for allowing me to become a member of the forum.  I posted in the Ask a Local Section for the first time yesterday, about good horse riding in the three towns area.  Looking forward to any local recommendations.

As I mentioned, my elderly mum and two of my aunties have recently moved to Llandudno.  $walesflag$  As she isn’t “on the line” and refuses to use “wangfangled” computers, she has set me a task!  ???  The three of them are game old birds (their words, not mine!) and like getting out and about.  One thing they have always done regularly over here in Manchester is to buy the Big Issue magazine.  The fuss over the sellers and I think treat them like surrogate children!  They believe it is good to have a social conscience and do various charity work. 

Having spent most of the summer visiting and staying in different N Wales towns, they noticed that there was a lot of Big Issue sellers.  They got a bit confused over who was genuine and who wasn’t because there are people who sell it where they shouldn’t and people who sell it when they aren’t licensed to sell it.  Mum thinks they are “on the seaside busy town gravy train”.  I agreed to help them find out who are the real sellers are and made some phone calls to different offices, they all now know where the real sellers should be.  Consequently, they’ve got their indignation levels up and seem determined to route out anyone who isn’t genuine.

Personally, I haven’t paid that much attention to it when I’ve been there with them, but if this is something they are going to be on some sort of crusade about, I thought I should find out if it is a real problem.  I don’t want them getting into something and potentially being at risk as I have heard that there have been a lot of organised sort of syndicates involved.

So, I wondered if it is a regular summer problem?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7015 on: May 09, 2016, 10:23:07 am »
We seem to have them all year, both here and in Colwyn Bay which are the only two places I regularly go to, but they same to be the same ones, usually in the same place.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7016 on: May 09, 2016, 02:28:06 pm »
I have to say I was really impressed with how Llandudno was looking when I visted last week. There was even a huge improvement in how the Halfre Gardens were looking.

The biggest let-down was the state of a well-known store on the main street and how they think they would get away with presenting themselves like this is beyond me. The windows were covered in old sticky tape residue, ripped parts from old posters and current posters had fallen down. To be honest I didn't dare go inside for fear of being covered in cobwebs or stock falling on me. It used to be the case that senior management visited stores on a regular basis to check how everything was being run and presented to the public. I guess that doesn't happen any more and the shop is just waiting to be closed down.

Even the windows in some of the empty shops were cleaner than this mess!

Offline HunkyDory

« Reply #7017 on: May 09, 2016, 03:22:23 pm »
We seem to have them all year, both here and in Colwyn Bay which are the only two places I regularly go to, but they same to be the same ones, usually in the same place.

She says they are Romanian and don't stand where they are supposed to be.  I'll have to ask her where they stand.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7018 on: May 09, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »
The biggest let-down was the state of a well-known store on the main street and how they think they would get away with presenting themselves like this is beyond me. The windows were covered in old sticky tape residue, ripped parts from old posters and current posters had fallen down.

Could not agree more, We were discussing the same thing only last week, as you say most are doing there best but a company such as this is letting themselves down as well as the town.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/05/09/can-greggs-plc-wh-smith-plc--moneysupermarketcom-group-plc-reverse-this-years-losses/

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7019 on: May 09, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »
Not sure why nobody seems bothered by the state of our beach,now forget the stones its the bit of beach we had left which of course is gradually getting covered by the stones,nobody seems to show the slightest interest in getting them cleared away,if i had a hotel on the prom i would be going mad,donkeys,boats its all a joke and no interest.