Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616300 times)

Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #420 on: December 10, 2010, 01:20:00 pm »
I got a big powerful chainsaw when you're ready!      Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2010, 01:47:29 pm »
I popped into Wetherspoons yesterday and was interested to see that they had a large framed display all about Alex Munro on the wall by the rear entrance steps. As part of the display, there are a few photos and old programmes, including oddly enough, a photo of the same numbered programme that I have on the forum gallery. Do I have grounds for suing Wetherspoons?  :o  ;D

[smg id=465]

Yorkie

« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »
Must be worth a weeks free beer!    Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #423 on: December 12, 2010, 05:25:21 pm »
The pier is having a lot of repair work carried out at the moment:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #424 on: December 12, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
Its good that refurbishment is under way.  But one thing worries me.
Quite a few of the cast iron side rails seem to have fallen apart when removed.
They are brittle and rusted through in parts and I don't see how they can be replaced.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »
I noticed that also. Cast iron is very brittle anyway, so it is inevitable that some will be broken whenever they are removed for maintenance. I suppose some new ones will have to be cast. Maybe they can put the kiosk rents up to pay for it?  ¢¢##

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2010, 07:25:09 pm »
I know Fester will be interested in this. I've found that last year (year end 2009) that Six Piers Ltd made a LOSS of £7.3 million. This year, they made a profit...of £174,000 on a Turnover of £9.6m. That's rubbish.  Incidentally, South Parade Pier in Portsmouth has been sold, meaning that the company should really be renamed Five Piers Ltd!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #427 on: December 12, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »
Maybe they can put the kiosk rents up to pay for it?  ¢¢##

L0L L0L
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
By even joking about that subject, it will simply give them more ammunition to do just that.

There are 2 ways to look at any set of figures.
After a loss of over £7m in 2009, they may well have had a target in 2010 to halve that loss, or even break even.   
This may well be seen as an excellent result.   Without knowing the businss plan, who knows?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: December 12, 2010, 08:14:23 pm »
I doubt Trevor Hemmings reads this forum....  ::)

It's an appalling result, regardless of the plan. A very poor profit as a % of turnover and I suspect an even more miserable return on capital employed. A business that controls such great assets should be making tons of cash. Should be a GOLDMINE!

Yorkie

« Reply #430 on: December 12, 2010, 08:59:17 pm »
If you look at all the pies that Trevor Hemmings has his fingers into the little blip in the fortunes of Six Piers won't keep him awake for one minute.  He is personally reckoned to be worth in excess of £300m.  Also the loss on Six Piers will probably be brought into a consolidated statement of accounts with all the rest of his interests and the individual significance will be lost.

I don't think anyone should worry about rent increases!      >?>?? >?>?? $hands$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: December 12, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »
If you look at all the pies that Trevor Hemmings has his fingers into the little blip in the fortunes of Six Piers won't keep him awake for one minute.  He is personally reckoned to be worth in excess of £300m.  Also the loss on Six Piers will probably be brought into a consolidated statement of accounts with all the rest of his interests and the individual significance will be lost.
It's a little more concerning when you consider that, a few years ago, he was worth £1bn!

Seriously, of course, the more immediate relevance is that a business that makes a loss or very small profit is not generating the capital needed to fund future investment.

Yorkie

« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »
However, it is often prudent where consolidation has to take place to allow a loss situation with one or other of the companies.  Without details of all the pies and the countries in which they are registered there could well be a tax benefit associated with the loss.   With a large Empire cash generation in one small part is not neccessarily that important as support is available from the group as a whole.   ZXZ

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »
Just noticed a new sign in Past Times shop window.  This shop is only open for Christmas etc. So another empty shop in January!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #434 on: December 15, 2010, 05:24:00 pm »
A friend who lives in town told me apparently there was petrol put through the letter box of the Cost Cutter by the Gresham yesterday by a disgruntled customer, is that true  ?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley