Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614107 times)

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6690 on: November 02, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
I've never known it called Cabin Lift?
It has had Cable Car emblazoned on the sign for at least 10 years to my knowledge.

Difficult to make out in this video but on opening in 1969 and at least throughout the '70s it had "cabin lift" on the base station in Happy Valley and this was also used on postcards of that era as well.

https://youtu.be/Cv-zCdDxJlU

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #6691 on: November 02, 2015, 11:27:48 am »
Just to confuse things even more in most ski resorts the type of continuous lift with separate cabins is called a gondola lift, first photo.
The second photo is a cable car.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6692 on: November 02, 2015, 10:27:55 pm »
Well, 2nd November, and the weather was glorious enough to sit at the end of Llandudno Pier, and do this....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6693 on: November 03, 2015, 08:49:51 am »
Amazing how warm it is really!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6694 on: November 03, 2015, 10:42:14 am »
Amazing how warm it is really!

If this is global warming I'm all for it.
I don't feel so guilty about driving a VW diesel now!
Valar Morghulis

Offline pebbles

« Reply #6695 on: November 03, 2015, 04:26:46 pm »
Thanks about the fireworks you guys, appreciate it  $thanx$

Oh and re the cabin lift - yeah we all still call it that, such as "are the cabins running today" to work out if it's windy up top ;)
As the pic posted further above shows, the massive writing on the side said Cabin Lift, it's on some of my own childhood photos from the early 80s. If my memory is correct it got took down around 87 and changed to the "modern" (but wrong!) cable car. But just as the golden goose changed to leisure island in 86/87, they'll always be the goose and the cabins to me  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6696 on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:21 am »
 It started out life as the Llandudno Cabin Lift Co. Ltd in 1969 but changed its name to the Llandudno Cable Car Ltd in 1988.

Some history from an old blog post of mine...

It's the Longest Aerial Cable Car in the United Kingdom, with the distance between the two stations at Happy Valley and the Great Orme Summit being 1 mile and 40 feet exactly (5,320 feet).

While we are dealing with the stats.....
The Happy Valley Station is 135 feet above Sea level.
The Summit Station is 651 feet above Sea level.
There are 42 Cabins that travel at 600 feet per minute.
There are 9 intermediate tapering steel trestles support the cable between the stations.
The tallest trestle is 80 feet high with a base 5 feet 6 inches square - it weighs 15.3 tons.
675 tons of concrete were used for the foundations and the steelwork weighs over 100 tons.
The longest span between the trestles is 1,023 feet.
The Cabins reach a maximum height of 160 feet above ground.
Each Cabin seats a maximum of 4 people
Each Cabin takes 9 minutes to reach the Summit (or vice versa)
Each Cabin is supported on an endless steel cable 2 miles long, weighing over 17 tons.
The hourly capacity of the Cable Car is stated to be 500 persons.
On an average day, each Cabin covers about 60 miles.
The cable has a nominal breaking strain of 50 tons, the factor of safety is 5.2.
The cabin lift is driven by a 100 h.p. slip ring electric induction motor at 1450 r.p.m.
A 50 h.p. internal combustion stand-by engine is kept in readiness for bringing cabins into the stations in case of power failure.

Built at a cost of £125,000 (the contractor was British Chairlifts Limited/British Ropeway Engineering Co. Ltd who had previously built the EXPO 67 Cabin Lift: Details here), it was the idea of a Uttoxeter businessman called Anthony Bagshaw who had previously been involved with the Alton Towers theme park (where a similar Cabin Lift had been installed in 1963). It was opened for business by Lord Mostyn on the 20th June 1969 (after a certain amount of local opposition in the Council Chamber to the 'new fangled' idea which was rejected outright the first time it was proposed). It was also fully renovated in 2006 following the sale of the business by Uttoxeter Investment Co. Ltd. The purchaser was a local man, Andrew Jones, of Pyllau Farm on the Great Orme, who says he used to tell people that one day he would own it. He was also one of the first passengers when it originally opened in 1969.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6697 on: November 04, 2015, 10:30:13 am »
So if it is one mile and 40 feet long each way, how come the cable is only 2 miles long? Cost cutting or have the metal thieves made a visit?  ;)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6698 on: November 05, 2015, 06:01:20 pm »
I saw on the news this morning that a shopping center opens today in Bradford after 10 years so maybe we should not worry about the Tudno Castle hotel or Tudno Point as its named.As the developers and mostyn estates have failed to attract anyone else into the building maybe 10 years will be a good marker,i just hope any prospective tennants don;t come along to see the town council xmas light display in Mostyn st as there ain;t one xmas light been put up.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6699 on: November 05, 2015, 07:28:14 pm »
SO,SO SORRY ,THERE IS A LIGHT ON A LAMP POST OUTSIDE tRINITY CHURCH,THEY MUST HAVE HAD SPECIAL PERMISSION TO PUT IT ON THERE

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6700 on: November 05, 2015, 07:43:53 pm »
It started out life as the Llandudno Cabin Lift Co. Ltd in 1969 but changed its name to the Llandudno Cable Car Ltd in 1988.

Thanks for the info - lots of stuff that was new to me.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #6701 on: November 06, 2015, 03:59:42 pm »
After giving several Seafront Hotels letters of warning this Autumn for displaying coloured lights on their premises, the Council had better be very careful what lights they decide to display as they will be in breach of their own self imposed regulations. Or is it one rule for the Council again and another for everyone else?  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6702 on: November 06, 2015, 05:49:52 pm »
Took a walk up town today ,What a mess this council are really letting our town go down by bog island is such a mess ,their should be a massive Xmas tree there greeting all the traffic comming up Conwy road ,don't tell me They are the lights in the tree outside the toilet  :rage:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6703 on: November 07, 2015, 11:46:01 am »
Thank god Norm made a comment,people on here have given up or are just bored with my same old rants about xmas lights,happy valley water features and the town beach,obviousley i would like some support as all things i mention never change,never get fixed and we seem so happy the town council don;t give a HOOT to be polite

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6704 on: November 07, 2015, 01:15:33 pm »
Everything you have said is spot on Wrex, people are concerned about the matters you have pointed out in all your postings.   The problems can only be attributed to the local Councillors and the CCBC.
The truth is that no one in the Council is prepared to stand up and challenge the others.    I'm old enough to have seen the Council spoiling the West shore with it's man made disaster of a sea defence and then adding insult to injury by making the North Shore look like a quarry.
They clamp down heavily on colours of the hotels such as the "Pink Hotel" and UPVC windows but on the more important issues they just hang their heads down and vote on things like a nodding Donkey.
Who is to blame for the Pier Pavillion,  Penmorfa Hotel and all the other eyesores?     CCBC has the power to challenge all those issues but for whatever reason decides not to do so.
Don't go looking for help from Mostyn Estates either because they are only interested in Mostyn Estates and no one else.    Keep your eye open for the Castle Hotel and the former Llandudno Youth club as Mostyn Estates is the owner of the properties and freehold but will they ensure that the buildings are kept safe.  Only time will tell.