Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2649829 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6660 on: October 08, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »
The thiirties.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6661 on: October 08, 2015, 04:26:27 pm »
Knackers yard?!?  :laugh:

Llandudno breakers yard owner admits environmental breaches
0 COMMENTS 17:01, 7 OCT 2015 UPDATED 17:08, 7 OCT 2015

Knackers yard? I thought that was where we were sending Fester  _))*
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:16:46 pm by Ian »

Offline Dave

« Reply #6662 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:54 pm »
Knackers yard?!?  :laugh:

Llandudno breakers yard owner admits environmental breaches

This is the same yard, and apparently only one in North Wales, who refused to sign up to a voluntary code to request proper identification from anyone selling him scrap metal.
He said it deprived hard working electricians and plumbers getting a bit of cash without having to pay tax !!!!!! It also would allow low life criminals a safe outlet to dispose of metal stolen too , something which of course didn't happen in his yard but one wonders what else might possibly be in his premises besides oils and battery fluids.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:17:27 pm by Ian »

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6663 on: October 08, 2015, 09:18:56 pm »
Remember some years ago explosions and big fire from that site ,so didn't learn much .

Offline Jack

« Reply #6664 on: October 08, 2015, 09:24:28 pm »
To be fair I weighed in some scrap metal last week at Arch Motors and needed two forms of ID (one with picture and one utility bill) and no cash was paid, only a cheque or the money directly transferred via BACS into my account.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6665 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:22 pm »
To be fair I weighed in some scrap metal last week at Arch Motors and needed two forms of ID (one with picture and one utility bill) and no cash was paid, only a cheque or the money directly transferred via BACS into my account.

yes, quite rightly, that is the procedure required by law.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6666 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:02 am »

Pleased to hear he has seen the error of his ways on that score even if it was forced upon him. It seems to me someone who denies a crime then does a U turn and pleads guilty and refuses to join a voluntary scheme to defeat metal thieves isn't someone to be wholly trusted.
My suggestion is that if he is  "worn down by a plethora of regulations" it's time he quit . His whole operation is an eyesore and in my opinion should be closed down.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6667 on: October 09, 2015, 08:36:17 am »

My photo doesn't do justice to the beauty of the first rays of the sun hitting the Great Orme this morning.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6668 on: October 09, 2015, 09:22:17 am »
Very nice, Dave.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6669 on: October 09, 2015, 10:11:17 am »
I think its a legal requirement now for all scrapyards, isn't it?

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6670 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:47 am »
Pleased to hear he has seen the error of his ways on that score even if it was forced upon him. It seems to me someone who denies a crime then does a U turn and pleads guilty and refuses to join a voluntary scheme to defeat metal thieves isn't someone to be wholly trusted.
My suggestion is that if he is  "worn down by a plethora of regulations" it's time he quit . His whole operation is an eyesore and in my opinion should be closed down.

If memory serves me correct the yard was there for many years before the houses and 'plethora of regulations' were forced on it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:13:08 am by Ian »
Valar Morghulis

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6671 on: October 09, 2015, 12:33:47 pm »
If memory serves me correct the yard was there for many years before the houses and 'plethora of regulations' were forced on it.

The regulations regarding 'scrapyards' (reclamation centres etc) have improved this industry beyond recognition. Once a haven for disposing of stolen goods and pollution, the industry has now become a legitimate and a beneficial trade in recycling resources. There are many areas of brown field sites in inner cities where these scrapyards once stood that are so polluted with toxins that they cannot be built on.  In some areas, the pollution has seeped into the water table and streams and it will take many years and enormous amounts of energy and finance to remove the contaminates. In the hot summer of 1976 I actually saw an inner city canal so polluted that the surface caught fire!

Every industry I can think of has had to change with regulation for public benefit, be it environmental, health and safety or to curtail illegality.

But, perhaps we were better of in the good old days before the 'plethora of regulations', with stinking tanneries, pneumoconiosis, outside privies, children up chimneys and down mines, rickets, lead poisoning....   

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:13:48 am by Ian »
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6672 on: October 09, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »
When billy Simpson had the yard it was rag and bone small scrap metal ,this guy has increased the yard size no end , the prefabs were near there .

Offline stefos

« Reply #6673 on: October 09, 2015, 07:14:25 pm »
Re-Billy Simpson scrapyard.

Back in the day when I used to go boat fishing in the bay one of the 'hotspots' was to line up the lighthouse with the little Orme and the chimney in Billy Simpson scrapyard visible between the Crescent Hotel and the one next to it before weighing anchor.
 One day it took an age trying to find the spot only to eventually realise that they had knocked down the chimney!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6674 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:17 am »
Just had a look at this years Xmas Fayre,amazing every organisation in wales is supporting and they charge
£1.50 to get in,if only the Extravaganza could charge and have all those bodies behind them,we could scrap the funfair altogether,happy days.