Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2642206 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6645 on: September 18, 2015, 03:29:17 pm »
Can anyone tell me what event is going on in town. Driving through today there were lots of youngsters in tracksuits from a variety of different countries. I also assume its linked to the flags of al nations flying on the prom outside of the venue. I've googled it but without success.

The town is full of athletes, runners from Mexico, Slovenia, Hungary, I've seen them all last night and today.
But I too can find no reference online for any such local event!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6646 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:10 pm »
Could it be the Surfing competition?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6647 on: September 18, 2015, 03:53:25 pm »
Just seen some from Uganda in Mostyn Street.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6648 on: September 18, 2015, 03:53:49 pm »
And Portugal.

Offline Jack

« Reply #6649 on: September 18, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6650 on: September 18, 2015, 09:27:43 pm »
Thanks for that. Very rarely that a week goes by in town without something or someone of interest. Not sure how much attention it would get in a wider audience but I feel it's slightly  frustrating that something like that isn't more visible on the North Wales tourist web sites and therefore  to awider audience.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6651 on: September 20, 2015, 12:34:01 am »
We've just arrived home, chilled to the bone, but happy.  :) :)

Tonight, at Llandudno Ski Centre, the Llawn Art Festival people had erected a giant (inflatable) screen, and were showing the Sci-Fi classic 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

The screen was at the foot of the ski slope itself, and approx 250 people turned up with picnic blankets etc, and we were sat on the ski slope itself (nicely soft and spongy).   It was an excellent experience, and the Ski lodge was available for the purchase of hot and cold drinks, snacks etc.
The whole event was very well managed and marshalled.... as twilight turned to darkness, the amazing light show that the film offers shone out around the Happy Valley area, and the soundtrack was booming!

At the very end, as the credits rolled, there was an excellent touch as some kind of model UFO's took to the sky.
They were eerie, and illuminated..... I they hovered around Happy Valley for 20 minutes or so,  I hope no unsuspecting locals were frightened into thinking that the Space Aliens had landed!

All in all, a superb event.  Very glad I got talked into it.   A couple of rubbishy pictures below, of the venue itself, and the UFO's in the sky.   Just the iphone pics I'm afraid, so doesn't do it justice.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #6652 on: September 30, 2015, 08:47:18 am »
Strange goings on off Llandudno today. The film crew were filming for a forthcoming TV programme which will be shown in November on Dave

You may need to log on to read article.

http://forum.shipais.co.uk/index.php?/topic/21877-strange-goings-on-off-llandudno/

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6653 on: September 30, 2015, 09:25:50 am »
Think you need to be a member to access that ????
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6654 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:37 am »
We've just arrived home, chilled to the bone, but happy.  :) :)

Tonight, at Llandudno Ski Centre, the Llawn Art Festival people had erected a giant (inflatable) screen, and were showing the Sci-Fi classic 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

This must be a new arty thing they are doing across Llandudno. The other day I was walking round the back of the train station and they were showing eminent British blockbuster Trainspotting.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:51:57 am by Ian »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6655 on: October 02, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Valar Morghulis

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6657 on: October 02, 2015, 11:03:46 pm »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6658 on: October 08, 2015, 12:20:06 pm »
Knackers yard?!?  :laugh:

Llandudno breakers yard owner admits environmental breaches
0 COMMENTS 17:01, 7 OCT 2015 UPDATED 17:08, 7 OCT 2015
BY ELWYN ROBERTS

A Llandudno knackers yard owner has been landed with an £18,000 bill after admitting environmental breaches.

Thomas Arthur Roberts, 69, accepted he had crushed vehicles without decontaminating them and had left them on ground that pollutants could seep into at his Arch Motors site close to the centre of the town.

He had initially denied the charges brought by Natural Resources Wales (NRW), but changed his pleas in court today.

Mold Crown Court heard prosecutors say there had been "warnings galore" which the 69-year-old, of Rhyd Drive in Rhos on Sea, had ignored.

Judge Niclas Parry said Roberts was clearly a hardworking man in a demanding industry "worn down by a plethora of regulations".

Although the site was sensitive as it was close to a school, Judge Parry said there had been no pollution and "any harm was restricted to your own premises".

Roberts was given a conditional discharge but was ordered to pay costs of £18,165.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-breakers-yard-owner-admits-10216501

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6659 on: October 08, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
Interesting.