Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613864 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6615 on: August 29, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »
I wonder if Mostyn Champneys and Asda, could be persuaded to allocate an area for a few Camper Vans, for a small fee of course. They would have them on the doorstep to purchase bread, milk, eggs. Bacon etc. as an incentive. ?? ;D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6616 on: August 30, 2015, 01:43:09 pm »
Water feature in the Happy valleys was looking its usual mess this morning,no water,such a shame that it is the only water feature CCBC have to look after in Llandudno and yet they cannot manage one,sorry i forgot about the beaches,enought said.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6617 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:08 am »
I suspect the water feature only gets turned on when the Wales In Bloom Judges are about...

Offline Dave

« Reply #6618 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:10 pm »
Well there can't be too many local traders that were unhappy after the weekend. Llandudno was heaving.
I walked from West Shore in to town and back out towards Craig-y-Don and there were few parking spaces around so I can see the concern for hoteliers but Bank Holidays are the exception not the rule.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6619 on: September 01, 2015, 07:26:28 am »
there were few parking spaces around so I can see the concern for hoteliers

Folk don't like being parted from their cars when on holiday; that much seems certain. But Llandudno isn't unique in the problem. Cardiff, York and Oxford - to name but three - have poor parking, and York and Oxford have all but banned cars from the centre.

I suggested some time ago that one way forward was for the leading hotels to buy up some of the less prominent hotels or B & B blocks and convert them to multi-story car parking, retaining the original façades. Llandudno's main problem is that As I understand it underground parking isn't viable, for several reasons.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6620 on: September 01, 2015, 11:09:37 am »
I'm no town planner but it strikes me that a one way system along the prom might cause fewer hold ups with two lanes for parking, one lane allowing drop off and one lane no stopping( except for zebra crossings of course). Instead of cars parked on both sides of the road, they would park at a slight angle on the hotel side but at almost 90 degrees to the road so no parking places were lost and vacant spots would be easy to move in to. The hotels then need to organise a park and ride scheme between themselves or as suggested, buy up some space for local parking although that might prove very expensive.
Well that's a quick idea, anyone else?!

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #6621 on: September 01, 2015, 11:16:42 am »
Will Paddle Steamer Waverley call at the pier today or just do a sail past ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6622 on: September 01, 2015, 11:47:27 am »
Will Paddle Steamer Waverley call at the pier today or just do a sail past ?
Time will tell on that one... ££$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6623 on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:28 pm »
I was onit when it finally arrived,nearly two hours late

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6624 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »
Mrs Fester, joined Mr and Mrs Wrex for a really great trip on The Waverley.

She sent some great on board pictures, I'll try to post later.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6625 on: September 01, 2015, 10:43:04 pm »
A picture taken by Mrs F as she embarked The SS Waverley.
Plus a picture I really like, looking back at a packed Pier Head, as boat casts off.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6626 on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:54 am »
Nice photos Fester and good to see so many people there.  Where did the ship sail to ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6627 on: September 02, 2015, 07:55:47 am »
I was a bit later than usual for a coffee morning in the Queens Hotel yesterday so it was nice to see so many empty spaces on the prom near the hotel.   I tried all the parking meters on that part of the Prom but each one said "not in use"  at first I thought that it was a generous gesture by CCBC to have free parking for the Bank Holiday weekend but then thought of those traffic wardens and didn't want to take a chance.     &shake&
Instead I moved the car and about 10 minutes later found a parking space in Mostyn Street.   It was great to see the town buzzing with people but the parking problem was awful.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6628 on: September 02, 2015, 09:15:02 am »
It was great to see the town buzzing with people but the parking problem was awful.

We were driving out of town at about 1100 yesterday, and were rather taken aback by the huge numbers of cars attempting to get in.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6629 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:25 am »
We were up at the Great Orme Summit over the Bank Holiday Weekend and the Ticket Machine in the car park there there had been removed for repair/replacement. The car park was full to overflowing, CCBC must have missed out on some major revenue.