Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2649992 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6405 on: July 05, 2015, 06:08:01 am »
Well done, too much of this anti social behaviour going on!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6406 on: July 05, 2015, 09:16:04 am »
Well done fester ,the bags only cost .99p for 3  rolls in home bargain ,mind how can the lazy scum pick it up when he has 2drinks for himself not one for the poor dog ,they shouldn't,t have a dog .

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6407 on: July 05, 2015, 09:23:49 am »
Today, the Sunday Times names the 50 Best British Beaches.

There is no place for Colwyn Bay but Llandudno is number 40.

?{}?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #6408 on: July 05, 2015, 11:09:27 am »
Well done Fester......I was offered this card and a pamphlet in the street the other day, so they are trying.........
The card gives you the number to report offenders......below......the pamphlet (4 pages) is the full list of doggy laws, if anyone wants the full list let me know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6409 on: July 05, 2015, 11:24:03 am »
That hi-viz vest makes him look vaguely 'official'. What was the logo on it, F?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6410 on: July 05, 2015, 11:25:06 am »
Today, the Sunday Times names the 50 Best British Beaches.

There is no place for Colwyn Bay but Llandudno is number 40.

?{}?

I don't subscribe to the Sunday Times, and have no intention of doing so, but from the little bit of the article visible on their website isn't this the Best 50 REMOTE beaches?  Colwyn Bay may be a lot of things but I doubt anyone would consider it to be remote.  I also assume the Llandudno beach at number is West Shore, which is fair enough as it at least has toilet facilities available (even they don't always work). 

Perhaps someone who does pay to view a newspaper online might shine some light on this....

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/travel/Holidays/Beach/article1576302.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_07_04
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6411 on: July 05, 2015, 12:46:16 pm »
Blue flag awards     Internationally recognised ecolabel, awarded to beaches and marinas for cleanliness, safety and high quality amenities.
Beaches at Colwyn bay,...... Rhos on Sea...... and Llandudno's West shore awarded Blue Flags.
Llandudno's North shore awarded Green Coast Award. 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #6412 on: July 05, 2015, 12:58:25 pm »
LOOK: Llandudno's White Rabbit statue restored to its former glory by sculptor

These photographs show how an iconic statue has been painstakingly restored.

Llandudno sculptor Nick Elphick has revived the once vandalised White Rabbit figure, which is set to be located at a tram shelter in Gloddaeth Street.
The statue, a Grade II listed object, was originally unveiled by former Prime Minister David Lloyd George on West Shore back in 1933.
It was first placed near Pen Morfa, the now demolished holiday home of the family of Alice Liddell, who inspired Lewis Carroll’s classic book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, which featured a white rabbit among its characters.

However, it was targeted by vandals, so council officials took it away in 2012 to a Conwy County Council yard in Colwyn Bay to be repaired.

But Llandudno Town Councillors Carol Marubbi and Angela O’Grady were dismayed last month to find it still there unprotected from the weather during an inspection.
Within days, it had been transported on a pallet to Mr Elphick’s Builder Street studio for some TLC.

Nick said: “It was an honour for Llandudno Town Council to give me this job. But it was also such a pressurised job because it is such an iconic part of Llandudno’s history.
“I really wanted to honour the original sculpture. There was a lot of public interest and I really didn’t want anyone to see it until I knew it was right.”
He said restoring the statue, which measures 1.87m from toe to ear tip, was a demanding commission.
“It was a stressful thing to do to match the marble and a very technical task. But now I’m happy with it and I hope that the people of Llandudno will be too.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/look-llandudnos-white-rabbit-statue-9587912

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #6413 on: July 05, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »
from the little bit of the article visible on their website isn't this the Best 50 REMOTE beaches?   

I haven’t a clue where you get REMOTE from.

I have the Travel section in front of me now and it clearly states on the front page – The 50 Best British Beaches - and it says the same on the next page.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6414 on: July 05, 2015, 01:11:52 pm »
40 Llandudno, Conwy
Alice Liddell, who inspired Lewis Carroll, holidayed in Llandudno, bolstering the newly fashionable resort’s claim to be a seaside wonderland. It’s home to the finest pier in Wales, now under the passionate ownership of Adam Williams, and you’ll find 75-year-old Phil Talbot offering donkey rides on the wide sands of West Shore. The town’s other attractions include candyfloss and ice cream — look out for the locally produced gourmet Chilly Cow brand — crazy golf and backstreets crammed with chichi cafes, food shops and boutiques. Looming above it all is Great Orme, rising 679ft above the Irish Sea. Take the tram up and watch out for the goats: they’re descendants of Queen Victoria’s Kashmiri herd.

Article gives 5 search criteria : Cafe or Pub; Dog Friendly, Parking at Beach, Remote and LifeGuard.  Llandudno is included under: Remote and Parking at the Beach
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:34:56 am by Ian »

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6415 on: July 05, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »
That may of course only be the On-line version. Not read the paper yet.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6416 on: July 05, 2015, 01:50:08 pm »
Well done fester ,the bags only cost .99p for 3  rolls in home bargain ,mind how can the lazy scum pick it up when he has 2drinks for himself not one for the poor dog ,they shouldn't,t have a dog .

Asda Smart Price Nappy Sacks 300 for less than 50p. Just as good and a decent size.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6417 on: July 05, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »
from the little bit of the article visible on their website isn't this the Best 50 REMOTE beaches?   

I haven’t a clue where you get REMOTE from.

I have the Travel section in front of me now and it clearly states on the front page – The 50 Best British Beaches - and it says the same on the next page.

The little bit of their website that you can view without paying says - "best British beaches: remote".    Maybe the print version has a different top 50?

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/travel/Holidays/Beach/article1576302.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_07_05
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6418 on: July 05, 2015, 07:17:08 pm »
That hi-viz vest makes him look vaguely 'official'. What was the logo on it, F?

I couldn't make it out Ian, but I do believe he had nicked it from somewhere.
You see he was living in one of those half-way house, or community type housing projects on the lower slopes of The Orme.
I only know this, because I went in there with him, hoping to speak to someone responsible.
He was the worse for drink, or drugs, or something....  certainly not an official of any kind.

Steve H,  thanks for that information, it seems like a very reasonable initiative.
I can't imagine he would be able to easily afford any fines though.  :( :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6419 on: July 05, 2015, 08:07:34 pm »
Hello themedz .Phil Talbot the donkey operator. You mention his age. Nothing special about that, youngsters have to start up sometime