Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613847 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6210 on: April 22, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
 Which pier pavilion are we writing about?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6211 on: April 22, 2015, 10:47:22 pm »
The non-existent one Mike, which sadly is never likely to rise in any form, ever again.  :'( :'(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6212 on: April 23, 2015, 09:49:34 am »
Reading the latest on Broadway in the pioneer isn;t good reading,it makes it sound as if this new owner would sell,god i hope they don;t put anybody off opening it as a night club again,
Yes, I read it as though the new owner wants to work with the Grand Theatre Trust to open it as a cinema/live venue.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6213 on: April 23, 2015, 10:00:51 am »
Very interesting article in the Daily Post Business Section yesterday about Mostyn Estates and how they have set up a special investment vehicle to acquire shops in Llandudno. This explains their recent splurge of purchases along Mostyn Stree, with them buying the old Milletts shop, the British Red Cross shop and the former Ethel Austin shop in recent months. It's a great investment strategy for them.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6214 on: April 23, 2015, 12:16:10 pm »
still two to go,next to the Town houuse and Animal shop.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6215 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »
Another beautiful (in spite of the weather forecast) day in Llandudno:

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6216 on: April 24, 2015, 12:11:12 pm »
Reading the latest on Broadway in the pioneer isn;t good reading,it makes it sound as if this new owner would sell,god i hope they don;t put anybody off opening it as a night club again,
Yes, I read it as though the new owner wants to work with the Grand Theatre Trust to open it as a cinema/live venue.

How much does the large theatre next to it LOSE every year again?
It would have to be heavily subsidised......By us.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6217 on: April 24, 2015, 12:21:41 pm »

How much does the large theatre next to it LOSE every year again?
It would have to be heavily subsidised......By us.
It wouldn't be owned by CCBC though, so no impact on local taxes. If the Grand Theatre Trust can prise open lottery funding or similar, then good luck to them.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6218 on: April 24, 2015, 12:35:17 pm »
I hope they can it would be brilliant. But realistically it's never going to make a profit, so I wonder what's in it for the owners?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6219 on: April 24, 2015, 12:46:29 pm »
Friday morning, and there are Earthmovers and workmen dumping hundreds of tons of sand onto the beach by the Pier.

Now, that prompts 3 questions from me.

1, Didn't they do this last year, at great expense, just to see it all washed away within days?

2, Isn't this meant to be a bad weather period, for the next 10 days?  So no one will ever see it?

3, Wouldn't it have been better to do this at Easter, so that at least the children would have had chance to play on it for the short time it remains in place? 

&shake& &shake& ?{}? ?{}?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6220 on: April 24, 2015, 01:35:52 pm »
I wonder where they got the sand from then?    It might be from the West Shore end of Abbey Road as there are an increasing number of sandhills down there.   

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6221 on: April 24, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »
         I watched the digger starting to clear a path to the long jetty next to the pier through the stones yesterday morning, as soon as the tide allowed access to it round the bottom of the shorter one. There also seems to be some sand dumped on the shingle (rubble) in two spots along the prom either side of the bandstand where kids were building their sandcastles over the Easter break when the tide was in. Unfortunately the sand soon disappears down between the stones, leaving it looking like a small rocky desert area.  Meanwhile all the sand which was moved off the West Shore prom by the boat pond and dumped back on the beach is now back again on the landward side of the sea-wall.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6222 on: April 24, 2015, 06:04:58 pm »
Not surprising to us locals Gwynant      &shake&

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6223 on: April 24, 2015, 08:44:10 pm »
Took a walk along the prom tonight ,got to the jetty didn,t think our council could get any dafter ,but oh yes they have they have dug a gully at the side so the speedboats and Rogers pleasure boat can use the jetty ,once again they don,t realise the tide will move it back by next week it looks a mess . _))* _))* _))*

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6224 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:50 pm »
  Reading all these posts about sand and tides reminds me of good old King Kanute