Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612780 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6165 on: April 10, 2015, 07:49:43 am »
Good news! The climate here is one of the reasons that we moved here!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6166 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:34 am »
I agree that the Litter Wardens have taken completely the wrong approach in a tourist town.

In Llandudno, we have Litter Wardens on the Prom. When I visited Amalfi in Italy, I noticed that they had a team of people stationed on the Prom whose job was to answer any queries that visitors had. That's the right approach to take, make visitors feel welcome and their custom appreciated.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6167 on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:39 pm »
Thanks to all those who have commented.
Some very wise words there.

These operatives must be STOPPED, and QUICKLY.
They are entirely the wrong image for the town, they are scruffy, intimidating and unprofessional looking.
They are also BANNED from Pier premises this year, as they damaged the image and upset customers.

Who are these characters to approach vulnerable people in this way?
I saw them standing over a young girl with a pushchair and another toddler.... in a very intimidating manner... as she fumbled in her purse to pay them £75 for some indiscretion.
Has anyone checked their back ground?
Are we sure that they have no previous convictions?   ... and that they are fit to handle vulnerable members of the public?

I would like Tom Davidson (or one of his colleagues) to investigate and expose all this, as we are doing nothing but alienating visitors at the moment.
Yet the town is STILL full of litter,  mostly due to the poor management of CCBC.

This is like groundhog day, we've had all this discussion before. Ian told me off because I called them gangsters.

I still stand by that, this is an extortion racket if ever I have seen one.

Offline pebbles

« Reply #6168 on: April 10, 2015, 02:03:46 pm »
I agree that the Litter Wardens have taken completely the wrong approach in a tourist town.

In Llandudno, we have Litter Wardens on the Prom. When I visited Amalfi in Italy, I noticed that they had a team of people stationed on the Prom whose job was to answer any queries that visitors had. That's the right approach to take, make visitors feel welcome and their custom appreciated.

I had a day in LL yesterday, and was stood just off the prom for 5 minutes (opposite where the 92 tribute stone is, where the old slipway was) while my other half was debating whether his stomach needed chips or not hehe..  but anyway behind me stood in black shiny bomber jackets looking totally out of place and intimidating, stood facing the prom, arms folded behind their backs, were 2 tough looking blokes... i wondered who the hell they were - they honestly made me feel like they were going to mug me as we were delving in our backpack trying to find my bfs wallet! They weren't looking at me, too busy staring at strangers on the prom..

I guess now i know who they were!

If LL is to have litter wardens shouldn't they be dressed in clearly identifying clothing, and be a deterant instead of just a money making pair of bullies. I hate litter droppers, never ever ever do it, but these bullies from what i've read you guys say on here before charge at easy targets and even if someone accidently has something fall from their pocket and goes to pick it up they still charge you!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6169 on: April 10, 2015, 08:33:40 pm »
 Any way I would have thought they were in the wrong place in any case.
  If they would care to visit the medium length walking distances from home to Mostyn Street they would have plenty of examples of litter dropping. Mind you, I doubt whether they would get any "takings"because the vast bulk are teenagers and school kids who wouldn't have two bob in their pockets. Or certainly that is what they would say, even if they did have a fiver.
   Tyn y Coed estate is an example I see every day. Youth leaves house and starts to unwrap food and eat on the hoof. Wrappings go on floor. Many hours later youth returns clutching takeaway food. Finishes it shortly before he /she gets home, wrappings on the floor.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6170 on: April 11, 2015, 10:15:32 am »
              What a difference a day makes! From walking about in shirtsleeves in the mountains on Thursday to going down for the paper this morning in a coat and seeing a fresh snowfall on Foel fras and above.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6171 on: April 11, 2015, 10:45:29 am »
The latest 'dirty trend' seems to be nappies.

People return to car, lay child on seat, remove nappy, chuck under car along with wipes or what ever else. Place clean nappy on child, then drive away! Overnight rain wets nappy through and it blows up and bursts. Result :- nasty smelly mess in road.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6172 on: April 11, 2015, 11:28:29 am »
              What a difference a day makes! From walking about in shirtsleeves in the mountains on Thursday to going down for the paper this morning in a coat and seeing a fresh snowfall on Foel fras and above.

Your right Gwynant it's so odd the weather.  We were in short sleeves too in Cwmorthin and we had a chat with the builders there and they told us that just two weeks ago they were working in the snow in the Cwm

Offline DVT

« Reply #6173 on: April 11, 2015, 01:05:54 pm »
Mrs DVT and I were in Mostyn Street yesterday afternoon and saw two pairs of the Environmental Enforcement brigade (why does only one have that on his back, the other's jacket is blank).  First time I'd seen them.

One pair stopped a guy who had a cigarette in his hand, so I guess they'd seen him drop ash.  As we walked part I heard them ask for his name, as they wrote out a ticket.  My wife asked me what were they doing - I replied in loud voice so that they heard me "they're doing their best to stop tourists coming back".  I did get an angry look from one of them.

Who do they actually work for?  Who actually gets the money?

My son, who was out of work not long back, says that Job Centre offered him a possible job as one of these guys (he has a security badge for night clubs) but he turned it down flat, stating he would never do such a job.

As suggested earlier, why not employ people as tourist guides?  I am often asked such questions, how to get to somewhere or what is going on - I guess I must look like a helpful sort of chap, or have Ordnance Survey written on my forehead!

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6174 on: April 11, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »
The 'dirty trend' you mention Nemesis seems to have spread to The Sychnant Pass, along with larger cans & KFC containers. Perhaps the E E brigade need to cast their nets wider.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6175 on: April 11, 2015, 08:52:05 pm »
It seems to be everywhere Meleri, are people too idle to wrap up such things and take them home, or use the nearest bin?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6176 on: April 11, 2015, 09:05:52 pm »
Sadly it seems many are, yet the litter wardens will not catch them, too busy going after the wrong people!  &shake&
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6177 on: April 12, 2015, 07:47:18 am »
It seems to be everywhere Meleri, are people too idle to wrap up such things and take them home, or use the nearest bin?

I sometimes wonder how much is down to strong winds and the rather slapdash / poorly weather-proofed approach the recycling trucks employ.  Certainly during the last storms we spotted the contents of a neighbour's recycling box making their way down the road about half a mile from their house.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6178 on: April 12, 2015, 03:40:36 pm »
I was in the  RSPB estuary car park the other day and as is often the case, a car had driven off leaving the KFC rubbish behind for the seagulls to attack.
Yesterday I was walking past Macdonalds in Llandudno and was as usual amazed at the drive through queue as even the smell of the fat they use puts me off. It struck me though that if people are too idle to park the car and walk in to Macdonalds they are probably too idle to get out of the car to dispose of the rubbish in a bin.
These take away outlets have a lot to answer to as well as the lazy people who buy their products. What about installing some sponsored drive past bins !

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6179 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:42 am »
Blodwen the neolithic skeleton to go on display at Llandudno Museum
11:00, 14 April 2015 By Eryl Crump
Stone Age resident unearthed during quarrying operations on the Little Orme

The return of Llandudno’s earliest known resident will be celebrated in a special exhibition this week.

Blodwen’s skeleton was unearthed during quarrying operations on the Little Ormes Head, in 1891. She had lived during the Stone Age about 5,500 years ago.

When she was discovered there were no museum facilities in the area so quarry owner, Joseph Storey, took her remains back to his home town in Lancashire.

He entrusted her to the Bacup Natural History Society (BNHS) for safe keeping. She laid there for years in a cupboard, before eventually being put on display.

A Llandudno historian, Ken Dibble, researching the Victorian period discovered the finding and called for a proper investigation.

In 1995 experts from the Research Unit of the Manchester University dated the skeleton as being around 5,500 years old and christened her ‘Blodwen.’

Research of her bones suggest that she had died between the age of 54 and 63, that she was of robust build, and had arthritis in both her spine and knee and possibly suffered from cancer.

Living until that age would have been an achievement for someone in the Neolithic (Stone) age and Blodwen may well have been an important elder in her community.

Mr Dibble campaigned for Blodwen to be returned to Llandudno and negotiations were conducted over several years until an agrement was reached. Sadly Ken passed away before the museum received the good news.

Llandudno Museum launched a public appeal last November, which used Crowdfunding to raise nearly £3,000 towards the purchase of a new display case for the skeleton’s remains.

Reg Haley, Chairman of the Chardon Trust, which owns and manages Llandudno Museum, added: “We are so excited to welcome Blodwen home and to share her story with our visitors and the local community.

“We are very grateful to our funders and supporters, in particular the response we received from local people.”

The exhibition will explore Neolithic Llandudno and imagine the world that Blodwen inhabited.

Deputy Minister for Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ken Skates, who will open the exhibition, said: “I am delighted to see Blodwen back in Llandudno Museum and it is clear that the people of Llandudno have taken her to their hearts.

“Projects like this are an excellent example of how local independent museums and their communities can work together for mutual benefit.”

The exhibition will be open to the public from 2pm on Thursday April 16 at the museum in Gloddaeth Street, Llandudno.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/blodwen-neolithic-skeleton-go-display-9038028