Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613481 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6150 on: April 07, 2015, 07:25:30 am »
It is a regular occurrence to see pedestrians dithering about around the crossings and as a driver you have to think are they going to cross or not? I always approach the crossings with caution, but some pedestrians need  to clearly show if they intend to cross or not.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6151 on: April 07, 2015, 07:33:30 am »
The crossings on the prom are also situated quite poorly for drivers. Having a crossing on the cusp of the turn from a side street is potentially dangerous for both driver and pedestrian.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6152 on: April 07, 2015, 09:13:45 am »
Rule 195 of Highway Code:

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

This is what the motorists I've seen aren't doing. As I said, they seem unaware even of the existence of the crossing as they do not slow down or even look to check if anyone is waiting to cross.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #6153 on: April 07, 2015, 03:13:15 pm »
The mist has gone and it was a beautiful warm sunny day in Llandudno today.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6154 on: April 07, 2015, 05:21:16 pm »
The mist has gone and it was a beautiful warm sunny day in Llandudno today.
It was certainly a beautiful day, we went for a walk around the top of the Great Orme. Fantastic views and a refreshing coffee at the R&BT on the way round.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6155 on: April 07, 2015, 08:02:48 pm »
Had a ride to the hospital in Bangor and back, on the bus, this afternoon. Hectic, but the scenery was fantastic.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6156 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:27 am »
I've been pleased to see, over the past few weeks, that CCBC have been rejuvenating the garden areas along the Prom, with replanting of certain parts and expansion of the shrubbery areas. Some parts, particularly the stretch from the Imperial Hotel to the Washington have been looking very tired for a while. Whilst there's more that needs to be done, it's a good start, so well done to CCBC.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6157 on: April 09, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
A perfect day in Llandudno today...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6158 on: April 09, 2015, 07:05:53 pm »
How dare CCBC employ those scruffy, intimidating litter enforcement types... to extort money from tourists when they allow the streets of Llandudno to get into a state like they do?

Can I not fine CCBC  for allowing litter from recycling boxes and bins to be left strewn all over the Gt Orme?

This was the scene on Happy Valley Road a couple of days ago, and it gets like this day after day.
The following morning the bin was empty, but the gutters were left full of litter and broken glass, which is still there!
The bin was then full to over flowing again within hours, with yet more debris on the road.
It is a disgusting sight for visitors, and the standard of cleaning gets worse, as my council tax bill gets ever higher!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #6159 on: April 09, 2015, 07:52:41 pm »
Only yesterday I tried to comfort an old lady on a walking frame at the land end of the pier, who was on a coach trip from South Wales and had just been slapped with a £75 fine for dropping a tab end. I wouldn't have cared, but the volume of litter around where she dropped it was quite large. The poor old soul could hardly stagger and she said that she had accidently dropped it on her way to the bin. The two men concerned had black bomber jackets and suddenly unzipped to reveal a camera and a badge. Wouldn't a warning have been in order in this , the first instance?
Bet she doesn't come back to Llandudno !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6160 on: April 09, 2015, 08:00:29 pm »
Those wardens are just bullies, instead of extorting money from visitors they should be employed to pick up litter instead!

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6161 on: April 09, 2015, 08:53:53 pm »
Them guys make me sick ,what annoys me they fine the person and the fag end is left on the floor , last summer a visitor went back and picked the fag end up and then they slapped her with a ticket ,shame they don,t go to the prom shelters and get the druggies/allkies who leave the cans/bottles ,etc  and even urinate there .

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6162 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:08 pm »
Thanks to all those who have commented.
Some very wise words there.

These operatives must be STOPPED, and QUICKLY.
They are entirely the wrong image for the town, they are scruffy, intimidating and unprofessional looking.
They are also BANNED from Pier premises this year, as they damaged the image and upset customers.

Who are these characters to approach vulnerable people in this way?
I saw them standing over a young girl with a pushchair and another toddler.... in a very intimidating manner... as she fumbled in her purse to pay them £75 for some indiscretion.
Has anyone checked their back ground?
Are we sure that they have no previous convictions?   ... and that they are fit to handle vulnerable members of the public?

I would like Tom Davidson (or one of his colleagues) to investigate and expose all this, as we are doing nothing but alienating visitors at the moment.
Yet the town is STILL full of litter,  mostly due to the poor management of CCBC.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6163 on: April 09, 2015, 11:11:58 pm »
I wonder if they pick on big bikers? Unlikely somehow! I would just tell them where to go!  WWW

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6164 on: April 10, 2015, 07:34:40 am »
Just a quick aside: for those who may be worried slightly about the air pollution being talked about at the moment it's worth noting that our levels were markedly higher yesterday than they'll be today. Today, in fact, our levels are the lowest in the UK, proving once again that Llandudno is a very healthy place to live :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.