Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613344 times)

Offline Dave

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #6000 on: January 08, 2015, 04:56:22 pm »
Stephanie Vaughan Brenda the angel at Hope restored at Gloddaeth church in Llandudno has now found Ray a flat he will be moving in on Saturday thank you to the wonderful people out there who care one never knows what tomorrow brings but for Ray he will be warm for Christmas

I'll say it again, this forum does not reflect local opinion

Wonder how local opinion is feeling now?

Conned !

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #6001 on: January 08, 2015, 05:29:15 pm »
I think Mr Fester was right all along.
The man should go back to where he came from after completing a rehabilitating stay at her Majesty's pleasure.
Plenty of old people around here struggling with finding enough money for food and heat that are more deserving of much needed help.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6002 on: January 08, 2015, 06:40:23 pm »
Amazing how some pointless bloke leading such a pointless existence in a cave can cause such discussions!  ??? B2R why does it bother you so much, it never has me!

As I said at the time!   WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6003 on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:54 pm »
It's hard to believe that temporarily housing someone in a flat in Maelgwyn Road hasn't resulted in said long term alcoholic/drug user sobering up overnight!  Or that anyone could be so naive as to believe that simply plonking someone in a flat is all that's required to put a seriously messed up individual back on the straight and narrow.  If Paul Gascoinge can't sort himself after all the spells he's had in rehab then you have to assume some people will never get themselves sorted but let's give this guy more than a couple of weeks before condemning him.  And if anyone wants to throw criticism around why not start on the morons who are buying him booze, no doubt for all the wrong reasons.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6004 on: January 08, 2015, 11:01:49 pm »
Fat Andy.... you want to give him a couple of weeks to see how he goes on?   Let's move him in next door to you then.
Or perhaps bed him down in Born To Run's place,  he was the original 'bleeding heart' who brought him to our attention in the first place.

Seriously guys, 130-odd convictions, 24 involving violence, I think he's had all the chances he deserves.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6005 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:11 am »
I think the main issue was the way in which the story appeared.  The NWWN was clearly casting about for the usual 'feel-good' article, just prior to Christmas, and this item - with its Christmas-associated sentiments of hard times, cave life, rejection and need - fell into their laps. Simply because of the way in which his plight was painted by the reporter offers of help and messages of sympathy flooded in, and he was miraculously offered another flat, just in time for the festive period.

But Mr Tunnock has a very valid point: is it right that because of the newspaper publicity a single person is provided with their needs, when many elderly folk are finding it nigh on impossible to get the operations they need? It's not an easy question, with even fewer easy answers, but the sad fact is that - as a society - we're failing the most vulnerable and have been for some time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #6006 on: January 09, 2015, 09:57:48 am »
Fat Andy.... you want to give him a couple of weeks to see how he goes on?   Let's move him in next door to you then.  Or perhaps bed him down in Born To Run's place,  he was the original 'bleeding heart' who brought him to our attention in the first place.

Seriously guys, 130-odd convictions, 24 involving violence, I think he's had all the chances he deserves.

He shouldn't be living next door to anybody, it's obvious that he needs more than just to be shoved into a flat and left to fend for himself.  I'm sure the ladies of Hope Restored are well meaning but I doubt they have the skills or experience to deal with this particular chap.  He either needs to be in a residential rehab or otherwise supported by more appropriate charity, which to me would be NACRO who run the Conwy Doorstop project -

"Nacro helps offenders to resettle into the community by providing support with housing-related issues such as managing their tenancies.

Conwy Doorstop is a floating support service that provides housing support to people with substance misuse problems and/or an offending history. We enable them to address their drug misuse issues and develop strategies to live safe, independent, crime-free, drug free lives
."

http://www.nacro.org.uk/services/wales/conwy-doorstop/

As Ghandi once said - "The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members".  I think he'd find Llandudno's society to be somewhere towards the bottom of the scale.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6007 on: January 09, 2015, 02:11:12 pm »
Time to bring these back!  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6008 on: January 09, 2015, 02:30:44 pm »
As Ghandi once said - "The True Measure of Any Society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members".  I think he'd find Llandudno's society to be somewhere towards the bottom of the scale.

Andy, that's great news, because I don't want HIM living next door to me either...... leaves his sandals everywhere.  :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #6009 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:48 pm »
The bloke in question ( not Ghandi) was up and down Chapel Street this morning with one of his 'friends' looking at B&Bs to see if anyone had a vacancies sign on display.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Dave

« Reply #6010 on: January 09, 2015, 04:40:31 pm »
The bloke in question ( not Ghandi) was up and down Chapel Street this morning with one of his 'friends' looking at B&Bs to see if anyone had a vacancies sign on display.
Probably just looking to use the loo and see if they had a licence as they are banned from pubs. WWW

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6011 on: January 09, 2015, 05:02:06 pm »
I was looking at the new Sailing Club Slipway the other day, and it is several feet lower than the areas of shingle that surround it on both sides. It isn't hard to see that the first storm of the Winter will bury it completely under tons of shingle and have to be removed at regular intervals thereafter, at considerable expense to the taxpayer.  :roll:
I see this issue is now on the front page of the Weekly News, with the Sailing Club complaining (rightly) that the new Slipway is already getting blocked with shingle. Perhaps the designers should have realised that there was a reason that the old slipway was carried high over the shingle before dropping down to sea level. As it stands, this means that the slipway will require regular shingle removal indefinitely to make it fit for use.

I had a look at it today and there's more Winter storms to come.  I wonder if the designer of the slipway had any knowledge of the area?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6012 on: January 09, 2015, 05:03:56 pm »
I wonder if the designer of the slipway had any knowledge of the area?

Or training in anything to do with sea shores.  Or training, really, in anything...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6013 on: January 09, 2015, 05:26:31 pm »
The plans for that slipway were done way before the idiots planned to put them rocks there ,well a lot longer ,i may have just missed you Hugo got soaked this morning along there ,another thing I noticed today at the paddling poor part lots of sand has appeared and the stones that were piled along there have shifted ,with the storms to come these next few months I can see it being impossible to get down on the beach in the summer ,and the mayor is putting our beach up for an award , cuckoo  _))*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6014 on: January 09, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »
I was there about 4.00 pm  Norman and it was really rough on the Promenade.  I parked my car and sat in it for a while before going on the Prom and the car was rocking about in the wind but I didn't stay too long after I took the photos.
It was bad enough on the North Shore today so I dread to think what it was like on the West Shore, if you look at the lamp posts there they look like they have been "sandblasted" on one side, which is exactly what they have been.
The West Shore,  North Shore cobbles and Porth Eirias  doesn't give you much confidence in the decision making of our Councillors.