Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614204 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5565 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:41 am »
I can see them now! Very good!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #5566 on: September 09, 2014, 08:52:32 am »
Great pics. thanks for posting them. I was hoping someone would! I did watch on the television and agree with others that the views on there were excellent. They more than made up for the commentary which I thought was dire.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5567 on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:46 am »
 $thanx$  Thanks for the Pic's,...... heard about the wally, who did'nt take the lens cap off, .......I'm the ********** who

forgot to put in the memory card.      :-[

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5568 on: September 09, 2014, 11:30:22 am »
Many CCBC workmen were busy removing the traffic island between the Baytree and the Pier Gardens last week... and I suspect it was to ensure there were no obstacles for the Cycle race.  I say this because the zebra crossing stripes are still on the road.
If I'm right, I expect to see diggers, workmen and materials to re-implement it in the next few days.

If I am correct..... then WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS????   $angry$ $angry$

Who-ever-- they are working on it this morning !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5569 on: September 09, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
They more than made up for the commentary which I thought was dire.

It was. But aren't most?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Dave

« Reply #5570 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »
I have tried to post a copy of my blog on here but it doesn't seem to want to accept it !
Doesn't seem to like Flickr !
Anyway some photo's from yesterday taken as the riders made their way up the Orme. I have tried to show the whole spectacle of the event, much of which is the expectation created by so many vehicles with flashing lights, the race followers and the support crews. It can be seen if you link here:-

http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk

I thought it was a super spectacle, maybe the event could be fine tuned to make life a little easier for local residents. The Zebra crossing and bus stop area  in Craig -y-Don was in chaos at 9.00am as there was traffic being filtered off the prom to enter Llandudno this way, not sure why the route via the roundabout on the prom needed to be closed, especially at 9.00am.
Watching it on TV later there certainly seemed to be a large crowd on the seafront enjoying the occasion but how many had actually brought revenue in to the town is anyone's guess.Who pays for it all, anyone have a clue ? Llandudno looked good in the sun though so hopefully it caught the attention of some on TV. As an event it's amazing how much organisation is required for what is the briefest of moments. I guess the whole circus had left town within an hour of the finish but I wasn't there to see it.
Like the Olympics, the cost is queried beforehand but it does leave a feel good factor afterwards. We should be and are proud to live in beautiful North Wales.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5571 on: September 09, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
Thank you Dave, excellent.....ever thought of being a pro.    ;D    $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #5572 on: September 09, 2014, 03:53:59 pm »
Brilliant Dave. I thought you captured the build up and the increased tension and speed really well.
I hope you don't mind but I looked through your other photos on there. The one with the sunbird and the orange flowers was my favourite but also the one with the dolphin in a vertical position is amazing.
Thank you so much for letting us view them and well done.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5573 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:57 pm »
Many CCBC workmen were busy removing the traffic island between the Baytree and the Pier Gardens last week... and I suspect it was to ensure there were no obstacles for the Cycle race.  I say this because the zebra crossing stripes are still on the road.
If I'm right, I expect to see diggers, workmen and materials to re-implement it in the next few days.

If I am correct..... then WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS????   $angry$ $angry$

More on this side of the subject-- a FOI enquiry tells us that the cost for shifting and reinstating said traffic island is 10K.
'The cost will be split between a number of authorities' was quoted, so we are all sharing with everyone elses expenses. :o $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5574 on: September 09, 2014, 04:44:04 pm »
a FOI enquiry tells us that the cost for shifting and reinstating said traffic island is 10K.
You're joking! £10,000 to remove it for just one day?!!!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5575 on: September 09, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »
When I last rode a bike, I found the handlebars very handy for steering around obstacles! Does seem bonkers to remove a roundabout !   *cycle* *cycle* *cycle*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5576 on: September 09, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
To be fair, the traffic island was in a dangerous position just before a very sharp left hand turn.

One of andyCYD's pics shows the area very well with only 2 cyclists.

It would have been a real danger for the peloton.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #5577 on: September 09, 2014, 05:53:24 pm »
Did it have to go back, bearing in mind future event's, not a lot of forward thinking going on..... ???   ???   I have had another look at the photo, I can not believe they are putting it back, repaint the Zebra crossing and paint in an island with removable bollards, I don't know about forward thinking, is anybody thinking.....

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5578 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:13 pm »
Certain people never do ! :twoface:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5579 on: September 10, 2014, 12:08:13 am »
a FOI enquiry tells us that the cost for shifting and reinstating said traffic island is 10K.
You're joking! £10,000 to remove it for just one day?!!!

I thought as much, hence why I raised the issue.
I also noticed that the LLANDUDNO sign in the Happy Valley grass was freshly painted, and all the grass was cut along the dual carriageway into Llandudno, all for the TV cameras, and all for one day!
What about the areas such as Haulfre Gardens, on all the other days of the year??

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -