Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611717 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5445 on: July 23, 2014, 09:27:22 am »
Not only that they regularly back up and one can wait up to an hour to catch a number 12, just as one of our daughters did last week in Colwyn Bay around 4pm.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #5446 on: July 23, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »
A planning application has gone in with Conwy for no1 Mostyn Street (late WG's Gift Shop, and previously Wonderllandudno). The drawing's show prominently that it's going to be a Starbucks.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5447 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:15 pm »
Planning notice outside the old Sewing Machine shop in Upper Mostyn Street to convert it to offices. A Flint
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #5448 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:13 pm »
Re: Sewing Machine Shop - That's probably quite a good change of use in that area. Lots of passers-by to look in the window. More than on Madoc Street. Plus nice big plate glass windows to display the properties for sale. Makes sense.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #5449 on: July 23, 2014, 03:26:03 pm »
No suprise considering landlords of building are very very closely associated to the Flint business

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #5450 on: July 23, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »
Air Ambulance just landed near Kwik Fit!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5451 on: July 23, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
A planning application has gone in with Conwy for no1 Mostyn Street (late WG's Gift Shop, and previously Wonderllandudno). The drawing's show prominently that it's going to be a Starbucks.
Interesting, yet more coffee in Llandudno! 42 seats inside, 24 seats outside.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5452 on: July 23, 2014, 03:55:47 pm »
No suprise considering landlords of building are very very closely associated to the Flint business
You mean Gamlins own the Anthony Flint estate agency, Cat?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5453 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »
Gridlock in town due to car crash by Retail Park - avoid!

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #5454 on: July 23, 2014, 04:47:23 pm »
A PENSIONER has been hit by a car in a "serious incident" in Llandudno.

The woman in her 70s was airlifted to hospital after the collision with a Volkswagen Golf on Conway Road at about 3.15pm today (Wednesday)

Police, paramedics and an air ambulance attended the scene outside the Kwik Fit garage.

The road is still closed and traffic has built up in the area with diversions in place.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “At 3.18pm today, Wednesday July 23, we were called to reports a car had collided with a pedestrian on Conway Road in Llandudno.

"A crew in an emergency ambulance and a Wales Air Ambulance responded, and a woman in her 70s with serious injuries was airlifted to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd.”

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #5455 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »
Took a long time to get there, given call was at 3.18 and I witnessed leaning at 3.49

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5456 on: July 23, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Took a long time to get there, given call was at 3.18 and I witnessed leaning at 3.49

31 minutes from taking the call to having the helicopter touch down seems pretty good to me. The decision to use the helicopter is usually taken by the crew on the ground after they have assessed the situation don't forget, plus the helicopter could be at the other end of the county when it receives the call as they have quite a large area to cover.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5457 on: July 24, 2014, 04:54:55 pm »
I've heard that there has been another rock slide on the Marine Drive and  near the West Shore toll house.  I don't know how bad it is but was told that the Police are stopping traffic and pedestrians from going past.
I had a walk on the old Monk's Path above the Toll house about 2 weeks ago and some parts looked extremely vulnerable to erosion problems, particularly this bit on the right of the photo. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-28469099

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5458 on: July 24, 2014, 06:04:27 pm »
Indeed, road closed completely., even to some pedestrians.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5459 on: July 24, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »
Indeed, road closed completely., even to some pedestrians.

At one time CCBC had regular weekly inspections of the whole of Marine Drive, carried out by an outside engineer.  I don't know if it is correct, but I think these inspections were stopped a few years ago, probably in a cost cutting exercise.

There was at least one death from a rockfall at the West Shore end some years ago.  The place was in the area where the rock face has been covered in metal netting or mesh.

The last major closure was at the time of the floods when a lot of rock was washed down and parts of the road surface undermined.

I presume that there will be a rethink about some of the climbing routes and the "no climbing above the road during the school holidays" extended.
 ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero