Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614380 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5385 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:12 am »
Just been past the CyD paddling pool with the dog and the plaque for Sophie Hook is still missing.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5386 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:24 pm »
The Laburnum tree down at Bog Island is looking far better now that all the bindweed has been removed. Signs of life at the Parks dept maybe?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5387 on: July 08, 2014, 11:17:22 pm »
I wonder if the parks department work is planned by looking on here to see what we are complaining about?  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5388 on: July 08, 2014, 11:53:28 pm »
I doubt it,  because despite several fruitless phonecalls to CCBC by my neighbour,  the absolute jungle on Llwynon Road has finally been tackled....... By another neighbour who got sick and tired of it!!

&shake& &shake& &shake&
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #5389 on: July 09, 2014, 12:22:11 am »
SOME of the grassed areas in Haulfre have been cut, or rather hacked back this week.
Still loads of overgrown pathways and weeds in the flower beds.
Also seems to be a strong smell of cannabis there too.......

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5390 on: July 09, 2014, 06:59:53 am »
Thats one thing CCBC are taking out of Colwyn Bay and giving us,their druggies

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5391 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:44 am »
CCBC have (in the past at least) been taking the druggies out of Llandudno and dumping them in Colwyn Bay.  The Rothesey Hotel has for a number of years been the favoured dumping ground for every homeless druggie in the county.  It's possible some of them will be rehoused in Llandudno but they will more than likely have come from Llandudno in the first place.

However Llandudno has more than enough druggies of it's own without having to import more from Colwyn Bay, including a small community living in caves on the Great Orme.  I know there was a project earlier this year to rehouse the cave dwellers before the start of the tourist season but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if there are still some living up there.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5392 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:19 am »
CCBC have approved development work on two Llandudno Prom projects:

Craig y Don Paddling Pool – the aim was to provide new toilets, a new pumping station for the pool itself, and a water feature within the paddling pool, which would provide upgraded facilities for tourists and residents alike.
Llandudno Promenade Heritage Shelters – Llandudno Promenade was in need of new shelters and plans had been discovered from 1899 showing heritage type shelters, which would enhance the visitor experience in the Conservation area.

Who knew that the official name of the paddling Pool was the 'Coronation Pool'?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5393 on: July 09, 2014, 11:12:13 am »
Cannabis Mike?   mmm I've a good idea where that originates from !!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5394 on: July 09, 2014, 04:34:44 pm »
CCBC have approved development work on two Llandudno Prom projects:

Craig y Don Paddling Pool – the aim was to provide new toilets, a new pumping station for the pool itself, and a water feature within the paddling pool, which would provide upgraded facilities for tourists and residents alike.
Llandudno Promenade Heritage Shelters – Llandudno Promenade was in need of new shelters and plans had been discovered from 1899 showing heritage type shelters, which would enhance the visitor experience in the Conservation area.

Who knew that the official name of the paddling Pool was the 'Coronation Pool'?

That's very positive news for the Town and the bit about the shelters is particularly interesting,  I hope Edward Hillier of Mostyn Estates can remember what he said some time ago.:-

The current shelters were built during the 1960s, and groups in the town - including Mostyn Estates - feel they are in need of an overhaul.

Edward Hiller, managing director of Mostyn Estates, said the new designs would be based on the original Victorian plans, found in the offices of the estate.

He said: "The design that we came up with is based on original designs which came out of this office in 1899.

"We would be prepared to put some money up, but we want to ensure we're not the only people to do it.

"We would also be prepared to match funds - although we're not yet sure what the cost is likely to be."

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5395 on: July 09, 2014, 08:41:05 pm »
Did CCBC planning pass the Tudno Castle scheme today anybody.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5396 on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »
Yes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #5397 on: July 09, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »
"Conwy councillors have approved plans to transform a derelict former hotel into a 63 bed Premier Inn, restaurants and retail units.

The decision was made at a meeting today and will create up to 110 jobs will be created.

Councillor Trevor Stott commented: "This is a well designed development.

"'I'm sure it will be a great boost for the local economy and I'm thrilled they are keeping the current façade."

Planners backed the proposal in report last week, which read: “This is a comprehensive re-development of a prominent site at the entrance to Llandudno main shopping street and it is considered that the provision of such a development, whilst maintaining the tourism element on the site, providing significant employment numbers and ensuring the decorative facades of such an important listed building within the Conservation Area are retained is worthy of support."

Under the plan, Premier Inn would come in to run the hotel with Italian chain Prezzo taking over one of the restaurants.

Negotiations are ongoing for the other restaurants and bar units.

The prominent hotel has lain empty since closing in 2008 and become an eyesore in the centre of the seaside resort."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-green-light-landmark-tudno-7396309
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5398 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:06 am »
DaveR - the paddling pool was I believe built in 1937 and named Coronation Pool to commemorate George VI's coronation that year.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5399 on: July 10, 2014, 11:05:17 am »
Looks as though the planters adorned with hearts have been vandalised on the corner of Lloyd and Madoc streets. Plants ripped out and baskets brought down. Mind you the rest look to need a good watering !