Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2647170 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5295 on: June 18, 2014, 07:00:18 pm »
Love the sea mist pics DaveR. Good effort!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5296 on: June 18, 2014, 09:32:04 pm »
Hello Fester, your opinion is not humble. It's just as valid as any one else's.
  Just give the calendar people a bit of time. The wind farm was only completed visually yesterday so seeing as calendars only come out once a year I think this could change in a few years. Serenity of the slowly moving blades will eventually seep into your pier customers minds. You see. Mind you, might take a jolly long time seeping through.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5297 on: June 18, 2014, 09:37:11 pm »
  Just starting to click out of the forum, the "advert" home page comes up and there I am stareing at my photo of the golf course, the bay and Little Orme --- and no wind farm.
  Must make a note to alter this tomorrow. And as we all know tomorrow never comes

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5298 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »
  Changing the subject but still about Llandudno.
  Do you know who operates the deck chair hire on the prom? Well I did'nt until today. And it came as a bit of a surprise.
  This operation is ran by no less than Colwyn council itself. How about that?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5299 on: June 18, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »
A sea mist spent most of the afternoon trying (and failing) to roll into central Llandudno. I went up onto the Orme to get some photos, this is looking down at West Shore/Conwy Estuary from up above the mist:

I'm sorry Dave, but the sea mist cannot have been 'trying' to roll into central Llandudno, as that would imply some conscious effort and premeditation on it's part.
Sea mists (or sea frets as they are sometimes known) are, to my knowledge, non-sentient in nature.  They cannot make decisions such as the one you implied.
What evidence do you have that the sea mist was indeed 'trying' to do anything?
I would be interested to see any proof you can demonstrate on this matter.

Now, seriously, those spelling mistakes of PEER instead of PIER,  and CONWAY instead of CONWY really are pathetic.
It really is indicative of a the general malaise in basic standards these days.   &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5300 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:53 am »
  Changing the subject but still about Llandudno.
  Do you know who operates the deck chair hire on the prom? Well I did'nt until today. And it came as a bit of a surprise.
  This operation is ran by no less than Colwyn council itself. How about that?

I think you mean Conwy County Council, Mike.   This has been the case for 20 odd years now, and the deck chair attendant doubles up as  promenade inspector, by-laws enforcer and dog warden.  He is about the only person who cannot hide from his work!    :D
He is under the control of the Harbour Meister.   Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5301 on: June 19, 2014, 09:12:59 am »
Funnily enough, I walked past yesterday and all 3 of them were standing around outside their kiosk sunning themselves. I thought to myself what a pleasant job it must be. Perhaps CCBC should issue them with secateurs and trowels, so they could do a spot of tidying up of the Promenade gardens whilst they are quiet?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5302 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:22 am »
Another kick in the teeth for Llandudno,superbowl seems to be going,change of use and mezzine floor.

:( People just can't afford it. They do £2 Wednesdays and it's completely full all evening (You have to book on Monday to get a lane)

But people won't pay £6 a game. Especially as a game doesn't last all that long.

A family of four having 3 games and you're talking £12 each (That's still with the very reasonable offer of £1 for the third game)

So for a family of four that's £48 you've spent already - not including any drinks or snacks you might want, not cheap for a couple of hours out.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5303 on: June 19, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »
Businesses often do not comprehend the philosophy of half a loaf.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5304 on: June 19, 2014, 07:25:10 pm »
Walked past the clock on the prom this afternoon, nice to see two men had weeded the area
surrounding  the clock and planted some flowers.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5305 on: June 19, 2014, 10:40:36 pm »
Businesses often do not comprehend the philosophy of half a loaf.

Yet strangely, The Llandudno Swim Centre offers only half a pool!   (if you can actually ever get in it)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline pebbles

« Reply #5306 on: June 21, 2014, 01:12:51 am »
Now, seriously, those spelling mistakes of PEER instead of PIER,  and CONWAY instead of CONWY really are pathetic.
It really is indicative of a the general malaise in basic standards these days.   &shake&

Spelling mistakes bug me so much, it's a bad sign of the times, and there's no excuse for the "pier/peer" one.
But the "Conway" one, if whoever labelled up the picture was using a book from say the 80s, Conwy used to be spelt 2 ways (in the 70s and 80s at least), the correct way with no A and also what everyone at the time said was the "English" way. I remember as a kid mum used to write it as Conway, and I'd get mad at her, but she'd point out that the road signs use 2 spellings, as did Conwy road. Still got an old map somewhere that calls it that.
Luckily and rightly all that's been scrapped now ;)

As for wind farms - I'm a green earth loving veggie, but i hate the LL off shore windfarms with a passion. Which makes me have double standards but i don't care! I just hate them being in my favourite place.. and when they build that new lot off Anglesey it's likely to ruin all West Shore sunsets and views while at Penmon Point as well (grrrrrrrrrr!) As someone who loves the views, and loves taking photographs, i really hate them...  (have you twigged that i hate them yet?!)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5307 on: June 21, 2014, 07:43:15 am »
i hate the LL off shore windfarms with a passion. Which makes me have double standards

I suspect we're all guilty of that, P. 'Nimbyism' was a phenomenon of the 20th C and seems to be getting more pronounced with every passing day. One problem is the growing need for power, something which has mushroomed over the past 20 years, and which has left us dangerously reliant on imported power supplies. In the early 1950s average power consumption was limited to one light per room, the odd iron and perhaps an electric cooker. These days, however, the number of chargers alone fill any spare sockets, while manufacturers have only belatedly started to get to grips with standby power consumption on things like sky boxes.  CFL lighting only partly addresses this issue (LEDS are much better but a lot more expensive to buy) but the real problem is that we've come to expect (and enjoy) being clean.

In the post-war years most houses had one bath night, which - in many cases - meant a steel bathtub dragged into the lounge where it had some hot water poured in and where each member of the family would have to enjoy what hot soaking they could, and always in the water from the previous users.

It's now rare if people don't shower on a daily basis, often twice a day, and none of that water is re-used. Heating water is where most of our electricity goes, and - contrary to popular belief - many showers use even more water than baths did, especially as some folk enjoy long, soothing showers.

One answer would be to make domestic heat pumps much cheaper and more efficient, but even then installation would cost an arm and a leg in many cases, and people won't pay it. Making solar panels on roofs compulsory for all new-build homes was scrapped by the coalition, since that would cause problems for too many builders (!) so until and unless the government decides to legislate forcing such changes the only options are increasing numbers of wind farms and nuclear plants.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5308 on: June 23, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »
I see that the Floral Clock has had a bit of work done on it.  It's regained the 'floral' aspect, but sadly lost the 'clock' bit...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5309 on: June 23, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »
I see that the Floral Clock has had a bit of work done on it.  It's regained the 'floral' aspect, but sadly lost the 'clock' bit...

You do expect a lot, don't you...

_))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.