Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612419 times)

Cordyline and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5190 on: May 22, 2014, 08:48:57 am »

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5191 on: May 22, 2014, 11:22:50 am »
Nem you must have left early because JFS had a 10 minute slot about 9 and she did have a few good points.

My apologies-- Yes we left at about 5 to 9. She must have spoken as an 'audience member' I had expected her to be on the platform !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5192 on: May 22, 2014, 11:54:05 am »
She was Nem (eventually) 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5193 on: May 22, 2014, 12:56:16 pm »
I have further evidence of Llandudno flooding from a note made by Mr R C Baxter, the founder of Clare's Departmental Store and a Alderman of  the Urban District Council.  He states that on the evening of 9th November 1927, "the sea came into Mostyn Street".

No doubt there are plenty more incidents either recorded or not!   :D

He may well have meant this and I do now seem to remember some problem in Craig Y Don in 1990 when the Dwr Cymru were called out and traffic diverted but can't remember what actually caused the flooding.
Llandudno UDC as it was in the old days often caused problems for themselves by not taking any notice of any storm forecasts.  Along the Promenade at certain points there were gaps in the secondary sea defence, for example where the Lifeboat enters the Prom from Lloyd Street.  There was the facility to put planks across to save any water from the sea running down into Mostyn Street but I used to notice that in times of stormy weather they would often fail to put these planks in place.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5194 on: May 22, 2014, 01:33:14 pm »
1990 is a long way away from 1927, and I don't think the flooding lasted that long.

In a small book entitled Llandudno An Illustrated Miscellany there are a number of photographs shewing the beach, and in every one there is certainly more stones than sand!

If anyone has a copy of the DVD produced by Craig Ollerton, of old photographs of Llandudno etc., there are plenty of other similar illustrations.

WWW  :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5195 on: May 22, 2014, 01:42:52 pm »
She was Nem (eventually)

Glad to hear it !

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5196 on: May 22, 2014, 02:49:47 pm »
They have built a small wall since so no water can run off the prom

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #5197 on: May 22, 2014, 02:56:45 pm »
Where?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5198 on: May 22, 2014, 03:22:59 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85-fpTKtF0Y&feature=youtu.be
Very interesting. Ian spoke so well, I thought.  $good$

That actually was very interesting.

Few questions.

Why was nobody sitting anywhere near their name cards?!
and why was football manager Harry Redknapp up on the stage talking about sea defences?  :laugh:

Seriously though, whoever is right or wrong, and I would love a sandy beach. The meeting (or at least those highlights) seemed nothing more than a baying lynch mob, after blood! Only one person from the audience was brave enough to go against the tide (see what I did there?  _))*) and he was roundly shouted down.

This meeting although interesting was utterly and completely pointless, talk about bolting the door after the horse had bolted. This horse has bolted and won the grand national! Not only did they decide what to do in their council meeting, it has been DONE! The rocks are there, as much as it's pains me to agree with a Tory JFS is correct, they aren't going anywhere, it cost 1.5 million pounds for goodness sake!!!!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5199 on: May 22, 2014, 05:21:56 pm »
Hugo - your photo is the one that Draper and Lawson-Reay caption as 1932 so not the same as the R C Baxter flood.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5200 on: May 22, 2014, 08:06:47 pm »
Hugo - your photo is the one that Draper and Lawson-Reay caption as 1932 so not the same as the R C Baxter flood.

That's a coincidence then Cambrian because the Llandudno Advertiser reported that the Chairman of the Council Mr R C Baxter was driving past the Church when his engine died and he had to be rescued from the flood by another motorist.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5201 on: May 22, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »
The Public meeting for the most part was very well behaved and the vast majority of us listened to all that was said from both sides. I was in the third row from the front and didn't hear any baying lynch mob or any one being roundly shouted down, unlike a certain Lifeboat meeting I went to a few years ago.

However the next meeting would be better served by having a totally independent Chairperson, as that cannot be said of our Police Superintendent Simon Humphreys, who was most certainly in the pocket of Council Leader Geraint Edwards, hence the number of Councillors who were selected "totally at random" from the assembly to speak. In fact it became so apparent, he ended up asking them to stop and sit down.

Also if you watch the Youtube clip when Janet Finch-Saunders is addressing the meeting, you can clearly see Geraint Edwards telling Simon Humphreys to end the meeting to prevent her speaking. I was there and heard it said for myself and it was only when the floor demanded that she be allowed to speak (edited out of the clip) that she was able to continue.

We were told by Simon Humphreys that the latest topping off of the stones to replenish the sea defences ( 50,000 tons) was to restore the beach profile to its original specification after 70% of those stones had been lost over the last decade. Well Mr Humphreys, Figures speak louder than words. The original sea defences plan including consultancy fees costs £1,048,410.05 to complete. If the Beach Profile has been restored to that original Profile and with Locally sourced stone, why did it cost £1,500,000 this time around? Something doesn't add up.

The £1,500,000 came from the W.A.G. by way of emergency funding, to repair damage caused by last winters storms. 2 days of rough seas on the North Shore that put a pile of stones into the Paddling Pool at Graig-y-Don does not add up to emergence storm damage. During those Storm that so crippled the West of the Country the North Shore was flatter than a pancake. How much has been allocated to repair Deganwy Promenade and shouldn't that work have been given Priority as it was actually damaged by those storms.

Sorry for going on a such length but just let me say to finish, The stones are not the answer to Llandudno's sea defence requirements. So far they have cost  £1,048,410.05 to install plus £405,233 to maintain and £1,500,000 to replenish (All figures provided by CCBC FOI 6972-14)   

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:58:23 pm by Ian »
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5202 on: May 22, 2014, 08:57:18 pm »

That's a coincidence then Cambrian because the Llandudno Advertiser reported that the Chairman of the Council Mr R C Baxter was driving past the Church when his engine died and he had to be rescued from the flood by another motorist.

Mr Baxter did, of course, live in the area for many years and could therefore have been involved with many incidents.  On the evening of the 1927 incident he was, in fact, attending a Ladies Evening for the St Tudno's Lodge, at the Imperial Hotel.   His note is on a copy of the Evening's Menu.   ZXZ

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

« Reply #5203 on: May 22, 2014, 09:36:02 pm »
For heavens sake 1927/1932 was over 80 years ago. Over the years how many times has the town been flooded ?
The lunatics are taking over the asylum forcing all these panic measures on Llandudno, and the rest of the UK.
Just stand back a while and ask yourselves who is making money out of all these panic measures and you might see what is driving all this hysteria. Storms from North and West have been happening in Llandudno for centuries and adoption of sensible measures such as planks  to fill the gaps in the seawalls ,as Hugo mentions, is the answer, even if the walls have to be raised  a metre or so.
Just dumping stones on the beach is not the answer, they will all be washed away within a year or two,then what next ?

In the meantime a lovely seaside resort is being ruined, and remember if the visitors don't like it they will find somewere else to visit and spend their money.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5204 on: May 23, 2014, 07:57:53 am »
I wasn't at the meeting, but the comment made by a friend who was (and whose opinion I trust) was interesting.  He stated that the town councillors spoke extremely well and came over equally as well, while the CCBC team came over as arrogant, dismissive and confrontational.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum forcing all these panic measures on Llandudno, and the rest of the UK...Storms from North and West have been happening in Llandudno for centuries and adoption of sensible measures such as planks  to fill the gaps in the seawalls ,as Hugo mentions, is the answer

Perhaps, but you haven't factored in Climate change. We know that the climate is warming globally, we know that CO2 has increased from 300ppm at the start of the Industrial Revolution to 400ppm now and we know that the incidence of extreme weather events has been increasing globally for some time. Put simply we can expect more major storms, stronger winds, higher tides and consequent damage in the coming years, and that's without considering the ramifications of the increasingly severe ice-loss in Greenland and Antarctica to sea levels.

It's actually a very simple equation: Earth's atmosphere only became breathable by humans and other mammals because plants had been absorbing CO2 for millions of years and locking it away underground in coal and oil. As we - as a species - now compete to see who can extract the most and release it back into the atmosphere in a few hundred years we can confidently expect the climate to become more violent and unpredictable and - almost as a side issue - the air to become less breathable.

Against that starkly worrying backdrop, what CCBC's done to the beach sort of pales into insignificance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.