Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611902 times)

Offline Dave

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #5025 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:00 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-26920878

Interesting article, birds fouling the beach, albeit in a round about way, a concern for dog walkers. Makes a change.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5026 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:15 am »
The very definition of Irony.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5027 on: April 08, 2014, 08:56:59 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-26920878

Interesting article, birds fouling the beach, albeit in a round about way, a concern for dog walkers. Makes a change.
:laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5028 on: April 08, 2014, 09:28:11 am »
Great news for the Town:

Llandudno named as a top 10 UK travel destination
Apr 08, 2014 07:00 By Steve Bagnall, David Powell

Tourists have judged Llandudno to be one of the top 10 UK destinations.

The popular North Wales resort was the only Welsh destination named by Internet travel giant TripAdvisor in the top 10 UK rankings

The news will provide a major boost for Llandudno businesses hoping to capitalise as the Easter and summer holiday seasons approach.           

TripAdvisor spokesman James Kay said: “These awards are based on millions of reviews and ratings by those that really matter - travellers themselves.

The news will provide a major boost for Llandudno businesses hoping to capitalise on the holiday season.

Scott and Hannah Lawton, who officially opened their eleven-bedroom Lawton Court Hotel on Saturday with Las Vegas-style showgirls and champagne for guests, welcomed the survey.

Mr Lawton said: “Hopefully, the survey will help us climb the ladder and bring more business to the town.

“There’s lots of new things coming to Llandudno. There’s a hovercraft that may link Llandudno to the Wirral, for example.” 

The signs are good as Scott’s parents Carol-lynn and Ian Lawton run the Lauriston Court Hotel, next door but one, along North Parade.

Last year, the Lauriston Court beat the likes of London’s The Ritz, Claridges, Singapore’s Raffles, Paris’ George V, New York’s Four Seasons and Dubai’s seven-star Burj Al Arab to become the hotel with the best service in the world.

Mr Lawton added: “Luckily, my parents own the hotel next door but one, the multi award winning Lauriston Court Hotel which has inspired us to buy this one and gratefully take the overspill.

“We hope we can fill it every day and be open 365 days a year. So far, we have over 700 nights booked already.

“So we’re hoping for a really good season in Llandudno.

Simon Mason, Llandudno Pier general manager, welcomed the survey. He said: “I totally agree with it and TripAdvisor is what everybody looks at.”

He said visitors come from as far afield as Scotland and Essex to Llandudno with many attracted by the safety, scenery between and beyond the Ormes, Conwy town and the Conwy Valley, he added.

He said: “I know local education authorities regard it as being one of the safest places in the UK.

“It also has the Great Orme and Little Orme, an unspoilt Victorian Promenade and Conwy nearby with its unbelievably history.”

These were the top 10 UK destinations according to TripAdvisor:

1. London

2. Edinburgh

3. Torquay

4. Liverpool

5. Belfast

6. York

7. Bristol

8. Llandudno

9. Leeds

10. Birmingham

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/llandudno-named-top-10-uk-6927751

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5029 on: April 08, 2014, 10:55:01 am »
Amazing  :D

Llandudno is by far the smallest as well

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5030 on: April 08, 2014, 11:31:16 am »
There is a Public Exhibition today in the Orme Suite of Venue Cymru from 1pm - 6pm.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5031 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:43 pm »
Don't just bleat about it on the Forum, do something positive:-

Dear Ms Nash, 
I was abashed to see the Victoria Shopping Centre has given permission for Bogus Armed Forces Charities to set up and collect money from the unsuspecting public, within your public areas.

I refer to Army of Angles and Families of the Brave. A quick Google search will very easily establish if these are the sort of organisations the Victoria Shopping Centre should be associating with.

I supported many genuine Armed Forces Charities during the 10 years I spent serving my Country whilst serving in the RAF and still support the genuine charities to this day.

Please remove them and be a lot more careful of whom you allow to collect within your precincts in future.

Sue.Nash@capita.co.uk

Regretfully, Army of Angels was back today collecting in the Victoria Centre.

According to today’s Daily Mail, another charity called Afghan Heroes is to close.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2599441/Afghan-Heroes-charity-close-raked-555-000-donations-spent-just-15-000-helping-people.html

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #5032 on: April 08, 2014, 04:36:36 pm »

Simon Mason, Llandudno Pier general manager, welcomed the survey. He said: an unspoilt Victorian Promenade

What a travesty, it's a great pity Mr Mason didn't look at the Promenade before he gave his quote to the Daily Post, UNSPOILT ruined would have been the word I chose  $angry$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5033 on: April 09, 2014, 07:43:41 am »
Anyone know what the outcome of the council meeting last nite re-the kiddies corner beach.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5034 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:24 am »
With pleasure, wrex.  $good$

The meeting was the Community Services & Tourism Committee of Llandudno Town Council and was attended by both councillors and members of the general public.

The meeting commenced at 7pm.

Agenda item 6 was:

To receive a report from the Beach Working Party and to consider submitting a request to Finance & General Purposes Committee for funding towards North Shore Beach Improvement Works at Children’s Corner.

The Committee’s Chairman, Cllr Greg Robbins, provided his report and proposed a sum of £5,000.

This was carried unanimously by the Committee but only “in principle” as it has to be ratified later by the Finance & General Purposes Committee.

Nevertheless, this was enough to move matters forward.

Standing Orders were suspended for a few minutes to allow Mr Ian Turner to address the Council Chamber and Ian spoke passionately about the task ahead for his North Shore Group following which Ian received a warm round of applause.

The Committee Chair, Cllr Billy Evans, thanked Ian, wished his Group well and the Committee broke for a tea break at around 8pm.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5035 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:46 am »
The meeting commenced at 7pm...the Committee broke for a tea break at around 8pm

Golly! Hard work being a councillor.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5036 on: April 09, 2014, 10:01:47 am »
If only the Town Councillors all had the passion to improve things that Ian Turner does. A great man indeed!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #5037 on: April 09, 2014, 12:51:41 pm »
If only the Town Councillors all had the passion to improve things that Ian Turner does. A great man indeed!

Some do have passion but this is generally firmly suppressed by the 'old brigade'.  Folk stand for Council with the intention of putting everything right that is wrong with the Town.  However they soon discover they are out on a limb by themselves and have to work hard to get any support.  They also discover that any idea costs money, which in the Town Council is not a great deal.   Generally the Council tend to spend what little they have on Civic Sunday, Mayor Making, odd projects that could be better done by local voluntary groups, statues, clocks that are never right and lots of other sundry items such as filling the Mayoral Cocktail Cabinet, and supplying flavoured water for Staff during the hot Summer months!
I like to ask Town Councillors the question, "What have you done during the past year to improve the Town or its Services for the Benefit of the Residents?"  It is surprising, or maybe not, to listen to the waffle that is poured forth in an effort to justify their position.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5038 on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:34 pm »
I undertand that a £1,000,000 Lottery prize has been claimed from Nigel Roberts Newsagents by a Carol Jones from Conwy. Well Done to her!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5039 on: April 09, 2014, 07:37:03 pm »
A large section of the Promenade is now fenced off, following safety concerns about the ongoing work to replenish sea defences. What sort of a message it sends to Llandudno's visitors, I don't know, as Easter approaches...