Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613171 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4920 on: March 11, 2014, 08:42:29 am »
I say plant a few more Palm trees. That will bring the visitors in. :) :)
Holiday Resorts in most areas of the world would certainly agree with you. Creating a pleasant environment for visitors is half the battle. The idea that Alice is our only hope of continuing to thrive as a holiday destination is almost certainly not correct - Llandudno has managed to survive for 150 years as Wales top seaside resort without needing to play upon semi-imaginary links to a childrens book. After all, can anyone tell me how this Trail actually relates to anything tangible Alice related? I can think of Penmorfa (demolished and now a derelict site) and the St Tudnos Hotel. What else is there?

Let's put it in context - a person who died over 70 years ago that was the inspiration for a character in a childrens book came on holiday to Llandudno a few times. Wow...is this what we are building the future of Llandudno as a holiday destination around? What next...a Churchill Trail, to commemorate the fact that Winston stayed in the Grand Hotel in 1948?

Offline Yelboh

« Reply #4921 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:48 am »
Big news all!  Someone was actually spotted on the scaffolding on the Alexandra hotel yesterday!  Not sure if it was a workman or maybe a guest making the most of the sunshine!
Honestly if the scaffolding is up much longer Cadw may look to,list it!    ;D

Offline Neil

« Reply #4922 on: March 11, 2014, 09:38:15 am »
Dave, I think your comment about Palm trees is correct, Llandudno has a unique bay and beautiful architecture which make it look like Nice, on a good day, people coming from dreary inland towns expect to see this difference so we should do everything we can to accentuate it, fully grown palm trees might be expensive but I think they would be a good investment in the future of the town.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #4923 on: March 11, 2014, 09:56:41 am »
I agree with the Nice analogy and that is another super photo Dave. I think I remember you posting a fantastic one of the ship in Liverpool dock. You should post more!
For me the money would be well spent on the flower beds, palm trees etc which make the place so welcoming. This includes the roundabouts on the way in which adds to the excitement of arriving. I remember going to Sidmouth last year and being bowled over by the gardens on the promenade.
Things like this leave a lasting memory.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4924 on: March 11, 2014, 08:24:19 pm »
Bring back the windmill in the centre of the roundabout!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4925 on: March 11, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »
 Does anyone know what went wrong with the "down the rabbit hole" attraction in Trinity Square?
I always thought that was a good idea and I assume it must have had visitors in the early years because it was there a good time

Offline mull

« Reply #4926 on: March 11, 2014, 09:49:24 pm »
I go with looking after  the flower beds around the town and adding plenty of colour everywhere. Believe me Llandudno looks very drab when compared with the likes of Eastbourne and other south coast resorts.
The cost of doing this will be much less than building the alice nonesense and and its ongoing maintenance.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4927 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:42 pm »
not long till the 1st bank holiday and i wonder when this council is going to clean up the stones from the paddling pool and paint it ,and the west shore boating lake is a mess ,

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4928 on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:03 am »
Does anyone know what went wrong with the "down the rabbit hole" attraction in Trinity Square?
I always thought that was a good idea and I assume it must have had visitors in the early years because it was there a good time

The Owner retired and all the exhibits were sold off to another company.  Not much happened with them since it would seem.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4929 on: March 12, 2014, 11:12:36 am »
Sitting in someone's garage probably ! :roll:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4930 on: March 12, 2014, 11:55:51 am »
As far as i know Barry Mortelock bought the exibits,hence all the activity

Offline hollins

« Reply #4931 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:37 pm »
not long till the 1st bank holiday and i wonder when this council is going to clean up the stones from the paddling pool and paint it ,and the west shore boating lake is a mess ,

I see what you mean Norman.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4932 on: March 12, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »
I go with looking after  the flower beds around the town and adding plenty of colour everywhere. Believe me Llandudno looks very drab when compared with the likes of Eastbourne and other south coast resorts.
The cost of doing this will be much less than building the alice nonesense and and its ongoing maintenance.
Absolutely.  $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #4933 on: March 12, 2014, 05:45:49 pm »
There are some nice rows of daffodils along the side of the prom but also some scruffy non flower beds.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4934 on: March 13, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
Undercover of this morning’s Fog, yet more stones are being dumped on the North Shore, by the Vandals in Bodlondeb. It beggars belief that they can continue with a policy that patently does not work, destroys the towns major asset and costs us the ratepayer so much money. I just hope the Electorate of Llandudno will remember and hold our elected officers to account, come the local elections. New brooms with new ideas urgently required.   $angry$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)