Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612011 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4905 on: March 05, 2014, 10:21:23 am »
My son who works at Highway Maintenance in Hampshire has recently completed relaying  paving in a town square that had suffered from many broken slabs.
His observation was that the worst damage had occurred outside banks and was due to heavy security vans running over the paving slabs.
Yes, lorries pulling on to the pavements as they manoeuvre or make deliveries is certainly a major culprit. I've suggested to Cllr. Priestley that reinforced paving slabs be used in vulnerable areas close to the kerb.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4906 on: March 06, 2014, 07:08:37 am »
Upper Mostyn st is down for resurfacing.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4907 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:40 am »
I see Mostyn Champneys Retail Park is holding a Festival of Litter  :laugh:

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #4908 on: March 06, 2014, 09:16:12 am »
Mostyn Champneys does not appear to be actively managed onsite whereas Parc Llandudno and Asda car park are.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4909 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:37 am »
Mostyn Champneys does not appear to be actively managed onsite whereas Parc Llandudno and Asda car park are.
I have emailed them and asked for it to be tidied up.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4910 on: March 06, 2014, 09:30:31 am »
Mention the word 'rat' and the job's done !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4911 on: March 10, 2014, 09:28:35 am »
One thing that we havent really discussed on here is the current Planning Application for the Alice Trail around Llandudno. This proposes to install '19 aluminium statues, most standing over 4ft /1.2 metres tall', around the town, together with 55 brass pawprints. Personally, I think the town's supposed links with Alice are vague at best and the only tangible remains (Penmorfa) were demolished a few years ago. As such, I'm not really in favour - cant we put all this money towards new pavements along Mostyn St instead?

I reproduce below an email from the Llandudno Hospitality Association on the matter, what does everyone else think?

There is a proposal to locate up to 19  aluminium statues, most standing over 4ft /1.2 metres tall.
They will be bronze coloured and more akin to a Disney type character than the original Alice white rabbit.
The statutes will carry a bar code which will link to an AP on a mobile telephone.
They will be located within the Conservation Area of Llandudno.

- Alice Trail Ltd is currently funded from public money that is our money!

Conwy County Borough Council 65K
Visit Wales  80K
Llandudno Town Council  7K
CYFENTER 43K

Alice Trail Ltd are already drawing down salaries from these funds.

LHA is not against the establishment of a digital trail featuring our town's link with Alice in Wonderland.

LHA has objected to this proposal on the following grounds;
-Cumulative impact within the street scene of Llandudno
-No sample materials or replica statue to be revealed to members of the CCBC Planning Committee prior to final decision making on March 12th
-19 statues adding to the street furniture in Llandudno are not necessary to create a digital trail. Other options can be explored.
-no guarantees regarding funding ongoing maintenance and repairs
- no guarantees of a sustained income if businesses do not pay annual sponsorship of the statues

Exaggerated Claims being made by Supporters.

The Trail will attract thousands of tourists?
The Trail will provide a year round attraction?  Walking around our town through Nov to end of Feb calls for a robust tourist?
This Trail will not be all weather.

Alice Trail Ltd stress the income that tourism brings into Llandudno and the employment it generates. They  claim 600m a year  and 11K jobs.
Those figures are achieved and have been achieved without littering our elegant Victorian and Edwardian streets with inappropriate street furniture.These figures cannot guarantee that income.
The assertion  that the proposal will grow those figures is speculative.

Here in Llandudno it is clear that our Victorian and Edwardian town attracts visitors.
LLandudno has not fallen into a steep decline like other seaside towns across the UK but is not immune from that decline.
LIttering what is left of the elegance of the Victorian and Edwardian street scene endangers Llandudno's unique selling point(USP)
We should be calling upon CCBC to work in the spirit of the Conservation Act which is to protect, preserve and enhance.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4912 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:41 am »
My feelings, the original White Rabbit Statue was great and so was Penmorfa, but beyond that the link with Alice is somewhat remote. This latest proposal sounds like a waste of money to me, but if we had a large indoor Alice attraction that could work, say in a rebuilt Pier Pavillion with many other things to bring in the visitors on a damp day?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4913 on: March 10, 2014, 10:37:46 am »
Whilst it's true the council certainly tries to extol what are - at best - tenuous links with Alice, I think this trail could be very effective if done properly. I think it's worth capitalising on, anyway. It's not that it's going to have the effect of bringing bus loads of Alicephiles, anxiously scouring every square inch of the place, but more that it simply adds a touch of something special to the town in a way that even new paving stones don't quite manage.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4914 on: March 10, 2014, 11:59:32 am »
Some of the greatest followers of Alice and her Adventures are the Japanese.   How extraordinary is that? 

We should have an Alice smiley on the Forum!
 :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #4915 on: March 10, 2014, 01:19:20 pm »
I am no fan of the Alice theme, but it is clear that nowhere can stand still and keep doing the same things if they want to stay at the top (or avoid going into decline). If we don't go for Alice what is the alternative? If we stick with it we have to make sure it is done properly.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4916 on: March 10, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »
If we don't go for Alice what is the alternative? If we stick with it we have to make sure it is done properly.

To do it properly requires money to be spent on upkeep. Now take a good look around at the hideous wooden statues that have been dumped around the town and ask yourself if that's likely?  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4917 on: March 10, 2014, 06:34:31 pm »
Upkeep of anything is essential-- otherwise the rot sets in. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #4918 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:47 pm »
If we don't go for Alice what is the alternative? If we stick with it we have to make sure it is done properly.

To do it properly requires money to be spent on upkeep. Now take a good look around at the hideous wooden statues that have been dumped around the town and ask yourself if that's likely?  &shake&

Don't forget that dreadful clock effort!

Offline Dave

« Reply #4919 on: March 10, 2014, 10:06:51 pm »
I say plant a few more Palm trees. That will bring the visitors in. :) :)