Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2654076 times)

Offline llewelyn

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4500 on: October 28, 2013, 10:51:28 pm »
Many if not all pubs are on the brink, bands expect to be paid and the extra revenue they bring in, no way covers the extra cost. sad but true, unless customers pay a ticket price, pubs cant afford it. tax on beer and pub company's rent  and business rates and more, make running a pub a cost,  I had a pub and it was my day job and savings kept the pub going.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #4501 on: October 29, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »
I took these a few hours ago from the Great Orme car park. It was difficult to hold the camera still because it was so windy.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #4502 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54:28 am »
Quite right.
Hosting live music in a pub is very risky business and somewhat a luxury.
Brewery's and Pub company's come second place to the inland revenue. In respect that they charge tied pubs top dollar for their beer hence the charge is passed on to the customer which results in lost trade. The rents are extortionate and the customer pays for that. The non domestic Business Rates are set against rentable value so the customer pays for that. If you are lucky enough to have Sky TV the cost set by Sky is comparable to you business rates therefore very high IE. in excess of £1000 a month unless you have rate relief. Then of course if you play in a decent band you will want paying I personally would t expect anything less than £150. as a solo artist on a Saturday night. then if i was in a band I would expect £70 if playing in a 4 piece. The band also has to make contingency for dispersal costs so a 4 piece would need £300, if they were to cover public liability  etc etc.
The pub is a changing place and with cheep supermarket offers, social networking, home entertainment, the availability of local gyms (peer Preasure). central government restrictions on alcohol. and the endless restrictions placed pun pubs by local council like door stiff at £15.00 an hour, restrictive opening hours, dispersal policies,and  fire regs. The end is Nigh
next time you see a pub with a live act stop for a minute and count up the costs.
Door staff at £15.00 an hour each, the live act £150 to £300 for the night, bar staff, lighting , electricity, heating, rent, rates, other stealth costs IE licensing, health and safety, environmental, fire regs employment casts, etc etc . The list is long.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4503 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:10 am »
                   I've just come in from a neighbour's house and noticed that "Four in a bed" was on the TV there (Channel 4 at 5.pm all this week), and one of the B&B owners  featured this week is John Humberstone of the Alexandra Hotel, Llandudno, (complete with full scaffolding!) which will presumably be featured sometime later on this week.

I missed Monday's episode but John Humberstone is on tomorrow ( I think)   What was ironic was one of his comments when he said that his  Hotel did not allow smoking.  I believe that it was a cigarette in someone's room that started the fire in his property.
I've taped the rest of this weeks show just in case I miss them.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4504 on: October 30, 2013, 10:12:09 am »
My Sky Planner tells me it is coming this week from the Jolly Carter pub in Bolton.  :(

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4505 on: October 30, 2013, 03:21:09 pm »
Very good piece Catstevens,but it makes you wonder why people still jump into the buisness,we are fortunate we only have the Mostyn Arms and Flix closed at the moment and one of those is because it belongs to the closed hotel so it does make you wonder why the hell anybody in the right mind would go into such a buisness.

Offline DVT

« Reply #4506 on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:10 pm »
More Llandudno publicity ... from today's edition of Blue Peter

BBC iPlayer - Blue Peter: 31/10/2013

Fast forward to 17m 10s - more next week as well!

This was filmed after the Cambrian Rally Press Day a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4507 on: November 01, 2013, 08:26:50 am »
I'd love a go at that !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4508 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:18 am »
I spotted some good views of Town, Little Orme, The Pier and Marine Drive on the new Volkswagen advert on one of the sky channels this week.
http://www.tvadmusic.co.uk/2013/10/volkswagen-theres-a-volkswagen-for-all-of-us/

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4509 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:37 am »
Have you been away on holiday?

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4510 on: November 01, 2013, 09:40:21 am »
Ive been a little busy of late with some personal matters so havent been on the forum as much as i would like. Am i right in assuming this advert had been mentioned already.if so. Sorry.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4511 on: November 01, 2013, 10:42:26 am »
Probably flogged to death, TM.

Sounds as if you missed out the Ham Bone tho'  ;)

Glad to see you back.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4512 on: November 01, 2013, 01:54:53 pm »
Is there any news on anything good for Llandudno.We have lost our night clubs,Mostyn estates are slow on announcing their plans for the Tudno Castle,no plans for the empty shops on the Hight st and i can;t see the xmas lights being any different to last year,thank god for Alice.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4513 on: November 01, 2013, 05:04:44 pm »
. . . . . thank god for Alice.

I hear she's got herself pregnant and will be devoting her time to bringing the child up!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4514 on: November 01, 2013, 05:33:46 pm »
We need to find out who got her pregnant.