Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612651 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4440 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:03 pm »
Would have been better closer to the pier.
With a good shop attached would have been capable of making a considerable contribution to funds.
There are plenty of old hotels, past thier best, and beyond hope, in that area that could have made way for the Lifeboat station.

Mull, on the contrary, there are some fantastic examples of architecture in the hotels close to the pier.

I would agree that most have seen better days though, but none are beyond hope... (except perhaps The Grand itself)  :( :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #4441 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:33 am »
With a good architect it could be blended in and perhaps enhance the area.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4442 on: October 17, 2013, 04:37:31 pm »
Would have been better closer to the pier.
With a good shop attached would have been capable of making a considerable contribution to funds.
There are plenty of old hotels, past thier best, and beyond hope, in that area that could have made way for the Lifeboat station.

Mull you are so far wide of the mark it beggars belief.

Point 1 "Would have been better closer to the pier" 

No it would not, you do not sight an emergency service right in the middle of the most congested, pedestrianized part of the Promenade.

Point 2 "With a good shop attached would have been capable of making a considerable contribution to funds"

The argument about relocation was to save lives at sea, not to build commercial premises and isn't the RNLI one of Britons riches Charities already?

Point 3 " There are plenty of old hotels, past their best, and beyond hope, in that area that could have made way for the Lifeboat station"

This statement just goes to show how out of touch you are with what Llandudno is all about. It was turned down after 2 Planning decisions and a referral to the
Welsh Assembly went against the application. Which precise Grade II Listed privately owned Hotel do you propose we demolish to make way for a Lifeboat Station
that with the resources we already have along the North Wales Coast isn't even necessary.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4443 on: October 18, 2013, 08:10:13 am »
Which precise Grade II Listed privately owned Hotel do you propose we demolish to make way for a Lifeboat Station
that with the resources we already have along the North Wales Coast isn't even necessary.

It is well known that the Llandudno Lifeboat, whilst performing some life saving duties is, purely by its location, one of the biggest fund raisers the RNLI have.   As B says there are plenty of others covering the North Wales area.   
 $walesflag$

The Inshore Lifeboat seems to perform the majority of "local" rescues.   ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4444 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:35 am »
I'm sure that if any of us were in difficulties in the sea off Llandudno, we'd be very glad to see the Llandudno Lifeboat heading towards us! Without it, response times in emergencies would surely be considerably greater.

The new Lifeboat Station is in the right place, I feel, and they will have the shop in St Georges Place for fundraising. I wonder if they will still be able to take the Lifeboat for display/fundraising on the Prom on Summer Sundays like they do presently?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4445 on: October 18, 2013, 09:27:45 am »
isn't the RNLI one of Britons riches Charities already?

Not even close.  Here's the ten richest in the UK, with the first figure showing their income for 2011 and the second figure their charitable expenditure during the same period. (All amounts are in millions of GBPs)

1   British Council           645      701   
2      The Arts Council    594      583
3   Nuffield Health    553      582
4   Cancer Research   498      317
5   National Trust           386      345
6   CITB - Construction Skills   317   326
7   Oxfam                   308      234
8   Anchor Trust           273      271
9   Save the Children   216   179
10   United Church Schools Foundation   214   171

The RNLI's income for 2012 was 172 and charitable expenditure was 117.
However, the RNL:I is perhaps in a different position to many charities, in that it has (of necessity) to carry a significant capital expenditure (you can't really rescue people at sea without very fast and preferably very well-maintained boats).
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Tosh

« Reply #4446 on: October 18, 2013, 09:37:00 am »
How about biggest landowners. The Queen, The Prudential and The Church of England in no particular order.
The first and second are always pleading poverty and pay their staff peanuts.   &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4447 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:43 pm »
I'm fairly sure that it will require a professional company to remove the graffiti. You'd need a high power pressure washer, generator to power it, cleaning fluid, signs/cones etc to warn motorists that the work was taking place. It'll be an expensive business for 'getalife'...

It's nice to see 'getalife' is good to his word and has got it cleaned........oh wait....

I wonder if he'll post a further apology explaining his lack of effort in removing his graffiti.
I popped into the Rest & Be Thankful with Fester this morning, and on the way up the Marine Drive, we noticed that someone had poured what looked like oil over the first piece of graffiti, daubed a bit on the second piece and then given up. All the other graffiti is still present.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4448 on: October 18, 2013, 12:41:11 pm »
Easy solution.

A completr ban on the Cycling Club in question holding events on any road within the Conwy County boundary.  And a bill be sent to the Club for the graffiti to be removed.

*cycle* *cycle* *cycle* *cycle* *cycle* *cycle*
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4449 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:55 pm »
I don't really think it's fair to blame the cycling club for the actions of one person who may not even be a member. Also, the event itself is a worthy addition to Llandudno. However, the person responsible needs to foot the bill for the removal of the graffiti and face whatever sanctions CCBC decide, whether civil or criminal, without a doubt.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4450 on: October 18, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
I don't really think it's fair to blame the cycling club for the actions of one person who may not even be a member. Also, the event itself is a worthy addition to Llandudno. However, the person responsible needs to foot the bill for the removal of the graffiti and face whatever sanctions CCBC decide, whether civil or criminal, without a doubt.

I'm sure that if the Club were warned of such a move, they would take action themselves, which at present seems to be distinctly lacking!   How long now?  And how long more?    ZXZ

I concur that it does not seem to be fair on the Cycling Club, but after all they must be responsible for all matters associated with any event they organise!      :D
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4451 on: October 18, 2013, 04:41:41 pm »

I'm sure that if the Club were warned of such a move, they would take action themselves, which at present seems to be distinctly lacking!   How long now?  And how long more?    ZXZ

I concur that it does not seem to be fair on the Cycling Club, but after all they must be responsible for all matters associated with any event they organise!      :D

The club will know the individual even if he was not actually riding in the race.  He's been a bit over enthusiastic and largely ignorant in his choice of paint but a discreet word in his ear by the club officials would enable him to get a life for the future and prevent a repeat of this happening in any of Rhos' other cycling races.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4452 on: October 18, 2013, 04:55:22 pm »
If this hadn't had such prominence on the Forum, you could bet your socks it would have been the thin end of the wedge. Lets hope its the last we see of such juvenile behaviour.
After all we're not French Spanish or Italian. Lets hope the young man responsible is as good as his word and he gets on with removing it or we will have to send him the bill.  *cycle*   
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4453 on: October 18, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »
No you can't blame the cycling club for the actions of one person, I expect they are horrified and embarrassed by his actions. We need events like that in the town, but next time he could perhaps make some banners displaying his encouragement for the riders.  :cyclist40: :cyclist40: :cyclist40:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4454 on: October 18, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »
a discreet word in his ear by the club officials would enable him to get a life for the future

Nice use of irony, Hugo :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.