Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2642772 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4305 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:42 pm »
So would you want it on the road where you live? I wouldn't! It could have been put on banners instead and removed after the event.
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4306 on: October 02, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »
Kowalski,  The Great Orme is an area of outstanding natural beauty, it is a completely ignorant and thoughtless act to daub slogans on it.  (assuming it is paint of some kind)

I cannot understand why you are so vitriolic in opposition to those who simply want to keep things looking pleasant?

Admittedly, Llandudno faces bigger issues than this, but using your logic, one of the biggest issues, (the Pier Pavilion eyesore), looks better in the state it is in, rather than have a pleasing structure there?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Kowalski

« Reply #4307 on: October 02, 2013, 10:08:51 pm »
It's still a bit of paint that can be removed by a high pressure hose.

Weirdly, or is it sadly?, a bit of easily removed paint has raised almost as much comment as August's potential visit by the EDL.

Offline Dave

« Reply #4308 on: October 02, 2013, 10:50:50 pm »

Weirdly, or is it sadly?, a bit of easily removed paint has raised almost as much comment as August's potential visit by the EDL.

Maybe thats because no one commented that the EDL visit was unimportant in the general scheme of things.
Of course there are more important things to worry about in life than graffiti but it doesn't make it any more acceptable.

Offline Reza_Malin

« Reply #4309 on: October 02, 2013, 11:04:01 pm »
I was going to post something on this topic but in all honesty, I have more pressing issues to attend to...
But...

Graffiti is unacceptable in this context but like I think Kowalski is trying to infer, let's keep a proportionate view on it. It is not permanent and knowing Rhos CC as I do, I would imagine they are not happy with what happened.   The paint will be removed and then people can go about their daily lives once more. However, until this disturbance in the societal fabric of the Llandudno consciousness has been resolved, I would urge posters not to fall into the stereo-typing trap of pigeon-holing cyclists as Lycra louts as it merely denigrates the point they are trying to convey. Besides my vicar wears Lycra and I don't believe he is a lout.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4310 on: October 02, 2013, 11:29:08 pm »
I was going to post something on this topic but in all honesty, I have more pressing issues to attend to...
But...

How ironic that you were too busy to post that, then told us that you were too busy, (thus taking even longer) ... then you proceeded to post it anyway!  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4311 on: October 03, 2013, 05:01:46 am »
It is not permanent and knowing Rhos CC as I do, I would imagine they are not happy with what happened. 

I'm always interested when people rise to the defence of those who desecrate the environment. But there are a couple of points regarding graffiti:

1.  If it's been spray-painted on, it's not easily removed. No far away there's an annual road race (on foot) and the start line is spray-painted onto the road.  It's a very thin line, yet it lasts for two years, before requiring repainting.

2.  Graffiti says something about an area. It has worrying, even frightening, connotations for the elderly in particular and that's the largest demographic for the visitor base in Llandudno.

3.  I agree that it's wrong to tar all cyclists with the same brush in this regard. Nonetheless, this was done by mindless idiots, and the club who organised the event has to be made to clean it up or charged for its removal. If, as some seem to believe, it's 'easily removed' then it clearly won't cost much.

What's been said by people on here objecting to it has not been an overreaction: it's a reaction to the very real damage this could do if not checked quickly. Places that are awash with graffiti are seen as places where people simply don't care. We're pretty free of it because it's clear people do, but it would be very sad if this were to change.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4312 on: October 03, 2013, 08:12:14 am »

Weirdly, or is it sadly?, the majority of your own comments on this Forum have been about the paint, rather than other apparently more important local issues.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4313 on: October 03, 2013, 09:41:40 am »
Melfyn Clwyd Roberts spotted this Pizza Hut ad and posted it on Twitter. Can you see any errors?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #4314 on: October 03, 2013, 10:41:05 am »
Back to the paint--and it is paint-- gloss paint-- I got out of the car and ran my fingers over it to settle the debate between chalk and paint.
There are 7 lots of wording that I counted whilst driving. I actually began to think that it wasn't there as the first 2 lots are near the Hafnant ( Hence the fact that I could stop the car and get out.) and the rest are past R&BT.

Hugo-- the house you are talking about was having a slight 'episode' with a huge Laura Ashley lorry trying to turn round in front of it this morning.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4315 on: October 03, 2013, 12:44:37 pm »
Melfyn Clwyd Roberts spotted this Pizza Hut ad and posted it on Twitter. Can you see any errors?

It should read:

We are by the Cineworld and near Tesco instead of we are by the Odeon and near Asda?

Address should be off Ffordd 6G instead of off Junction Way.

County should be Conwy and not Gwynedd.

The normal advertised landline number is 0871 200 2000 and costs 10p per minute.

Offline getalife

« Reply #4316 on: October 03, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »
First can I apologise as it was me that wrote it and i will be cleaning it up i was given the wrong paint, it was meant for encouragement toward a friend that was race as he was very nervous and he had a good race. So sorry for any inconvenience cause if any?

Secondly haven’t you lot got anything better to do the race brings people to Llandudno it was a bit of paint (should of been chalk paint my mistake) you got out of your car and ran your finger over it why? Paint is paint? Madness if you ask me? And as for rhos on sea club I was spectator supporting a friend that isn’t even in rhos on sea club, if you looked i wrote a few clubs names on the road ? i take it you lot didn’t watch tour of Britain or Italy or France or Poland etc., well this was the Great Orme race which is getting bigger every year was my first year at the event and it really shows Llandudno’s good side (there isn’t many) so that’s my rant over stop moaning and complaining and it will be gone as long as the weather stay dry sorry again!!!!!

Regards
Spectator of the great orme race 
 $walesflag$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4317 on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:13 pm »
Bodhyfred rd closes on the 21 oct till May for the Clarence,i wonder if they are getting a proper firm in or is it continuing with such a mish mash of workers.The police will have a bit of a diversion to get to the nice folk,i see another vresident of Bodhyfred rd has been done for having a knife,why are all the dregges being housed in Llandudno.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4318 on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:05 pm »
First can I apologise as it was me that wrote it and i will be cleaning it up i was given the wrong paint, it was meant for encouragement toward a friend that was race as he was very nervous and he had a good race. So sorry for any inconvenience cause if any?

Secondly haven’t you lot got anything better to do the race brings people to Llandudno it was a bit of paint (should of been chalk paint my mistake) you got out of your car and ran your finger over it why? Paint is paint? Madness if you ask me? And as for rhos on sea club I was spectator supporting a friend that isn’t even in rhos on sea club, if you looked i wrote a few clubs names on the road ? i take it you lot didn’t watch tour of Britain or Italy or France or Poland etc., well this was the Great Orme race which is getting bigger every year was my first year at the event and it really shows Llandudno’s good side (there isn’t many) so that’s my rant over stop moaning and complaining and it will be gone as long as the weather stay dry sorry again!!!!!

Regards
 $walesflag$

Words fail me.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4319 on: October 03, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »

Regards
 $walesflag$
If you're the sort of person the event brings to Llandudno, then I suspect we could do without it. You might live in a sh*thole town but we don't, and we want to keep it that way.  &shake&