Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612192 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4080 on: August 18, 2013, 05:53:44 pm »
Er...I don't think it's 'thousands';  more like 30 at most, I believe.

I did stipulate at peak times Ian i.e. over Bank Holiday week ends and if you think it's only 30 cars that get it wrong, please come and sit in my front garden and count them for yourself. It's a lot more than 30 per hour despite what Yorkie might think.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:05:59 pm by DaveR »
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #4081 on: August 18, 2013, 06:11:06 pm »

If you have better traffic management ideas, I'm sure the Council Department will be delighted to discuss them with you.  So as they say in the very best circles,
"Put up, or shut up!"

The Council has never listened to anything we had to say to them before, so what makes you think they would listen to us now?

The proof of the pudding is in clearly there for a blind man to see in Mostyn Street any busy day with traffic backed up to the Carlton or in the other direction, with what started this in the first place, traffic backed up Conway Road.

Llandudno's traffic flow is a joke and it's road signage is abysmal.   
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4082 on: August 18, 2013, 06:42:20 pm »
There is plenty of traffic returning from the Happy Valley Road, viz:

Cars unable to park
Cars that have parked and now moving
Cars who went down the road without knowing where they were going
Cars from the Ski Slope
Cars from the Cable cars
Cars from the cafe
Cars from Happy Valley gardens
And, the cars who did not want to pay the toll.

How about telling us how many of each group you have counted?

In the period prior to my retirement I worked for CCBC and was, in fact, responsible for the efficient operation of Marine Drive, and the Tolls.  I had plenty of data on all aspects of its operation, especially the problems caused by those arriving at the toll and then wishing to return to town.  However the main problem at peak periods was found to be in the area of the HV Car Park where congestion occurred because of the restricted space for manoevering, and the general melee of drivers vying for a parking space.  Nuff said.

I return again to my main point - the town was never built to accommodate the volume of traffic we get.   As a comparison have a look at other resort towns such as Bournemouth.

Finally, if you have a good idea, the Council will listen.  Just get it properly documented and submitted.  And, most important, that the project is viable!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4083 on: August 18, 2013, 07:40:54 pm »
It might just be that I'm a year older and my reactions are getting slower but this Summer I'm sure I've had more occasions when attempting to get back and forth from the Orme along the front has been been met with complete disreagard for personal safety by pedestrians trying to cross the road to get to the shops from the promenade. Early this afternoon I've had what must have been a three or four year old with parents some 10 yards behind just run out in front of me from between cars and a group of hard cases who think they are bigger and stronger than a car just walk out in front of me and expect me to do an emergency stop so they can cross just yards from the pedestrian crossings. Some might say its part and parcel of living here but I'm not sure the police or my insurance company would agree if I did'nt manage to stop in time.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4084 on: August 18, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »
We are all aware that pushbikes are now allowed to be ridden on the promenade on a permanent basis.

However, this afternoon we saw a couple come onto the promenade near the Cenotaph with battery-powered bikes, mount them and ride them down the promenade.

Are they allowed?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4085 on: August 18, 2013, 09:47:00 pm »
Great to hear Llandudno band Catfish and the Bottlemen on radio one all last week,i think they are going to be big and a credit to Llandudno,sorry if im in the wrong location here but we will be disscusing these boys again.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4086 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:21 am »
However, this afternoon we saw a couple come onto the promenade near the Cenotaph with battery-powered bikes, mount them and ride them down the promenade.

Are they allowed?

The whole question of Electric Bikes is a very grey area at the moment.  Tax and Insurance would be a good idea, at least there would be some revenue generation and Cover in the case of accidents.  Some Invalide Scooters have to pay so why not Electric Bikes?    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4087 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:28 am »
It is an interesting point, Yorkie, because battery-powered mobility scooters are allowed on the promenade so why not battery-powered bicycles?

But where is the line drawn before petrol-driven scooters and petrol-driven mopeds start appearing on the promenade?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4088 on: August 19, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »
Battery powered cycles are governed to a max. 15 mph. in Britain, An ordinary cycle can easily exceed this speed.  (*)
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4089 on: August 19, 2013, 05:22:41 pm »
having just spent a lovely w/end in stratford u avon, wish someone from our council would take a visit ,easy one was system, clean ,flower beds filled with all colours, except for the one way ,the other things i can remember what llandudno used to be like ,oh yes when it was llan council.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #4090 on: August 19, 2013, 06:22:46 pm »
Perhaps the quality of councillor was different then, now they just seem like politicians.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4091 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:49 am »
A very large crane is preparing to undertake work on the roof of the Tudno Castle Hotel this morning:

Offline Ian48

« Reply #4092 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:05 am »
Do you know what they are doing? I guess it's to prevent it collapsing or something.  It'll be interesting to see what Mostyn Estates' plans are.  It said in that newspaper report a few weeks ago that they were hopeful of bringing something forward in the Autumn, so hopefully it won't be too long to see. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4093 on: August 20, 2013, 10:00:53 am »
Yes, my guess would be that they are going to remove the more unsafe parts of the facade/chimneys etc before an Autumn gale brings them crashing down.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4094 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:01 am »
The Town Beach got a good clean this morning, CCBC even had someone sweeping all the sand back from the steps onto the beach.