Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611839 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #4005 on: July 26, 2013, 12:03:28 pm »
CCBC lease the Prom from Mostyn Estates and are responsible for maintenance as part of the lease.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #4006 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »
Not sure the new shelters will blend in with the windfarm in the background.
But they will...
By the time CCBC has altered the designs ( like the skip by the sea) they will probably look more like those big galvanised commercial wheelie bins, fitting in nicely.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4007 on: July 26, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
Not sure the new shelters will blend in with the windfarm in the background.
But they will...
By the time CCBC has altered the designs ( like the skip by the sea) they will probably look more like those big galvanised commercial wheelie bins, fitting in nicely.

L0L _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Tosh

« Reply #4008 on: July 26, 2013, 01:42:33 pm »
There's a more or less original shelter by the paddlig pool at Craig Y Don and the council hasn't looked after that one.
The one at Deganwy is in the same state.
The circular tram terminus at West Shore is the very same.
The glass and concrete carbuncle masquerading as a modern theatre on the same stretch of road where all the Victorian hotels are.
The refusal by the council to allow planning permission nearby for a life boat station which could potentially save lives at sea.
Where do these people come from whereby they don't look after what they've got and then try to impress us by wasting money on similar projects.
By whose authority do they decide these things, oh sorry, it's by our authority isn't it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4009 on: July 26, 2013, 02:39:02 pm »
CCBC lease the Prom from Mostyn Estates and are responsible for maintenance as part of the lease.

But this isn't maintenance Dave, it's demolition and a new build to replace the concrete shelters.    My memory of the previous Victorian style shelters is rather vague but I seem to recall that they were continually damaged by the sea and also vandalism and those two threats still exist today.   Weren't those concrete shelters built around the same time as the concrete carbuncle that was called Boots was built and declared "an instant success"  by George Hiller Snr  only to be demolished within 25 years.
I think that someone also posted on the forum that Mostyn Estates  were going to replace the street lamps on the Promenade with Victorian styled ones.  They come up with ideas but I suppose that they expect someone else to pick up the bill for them too.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4010 on: July 26, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »
There's no direct benefit to Mostyn Estates in replacing the shelters and it's not their idea to do it. If a financial contribution from them towards the project is forthcoming and enables the scheme to go ahead, then that's a good thing surely? A degree of pragmatism is a always a good idea, I find!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4011 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:40 pm »
Just been passed the town beach again,omg what a mess it looks like a dump not a beach,it has to be cleaned everyday during the kids holidays,its filthy.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #4012 on: July 26, 2013, 08:04:53 pm »
Fire in Moorings Holiday Flats Abbey Road tonight, fire people been there over an hour.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4013 on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:18 pm »
Fire in Moorings Holiday Flats Abbey Road tonight, fire people been there over an hour.
Any pics, Nem, I'm not in town at the moment?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4014 on: July 26, 2013, 11:08:37 pm »
I think this may cause a serious rise in Wrex's blood pressure!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #4015 on: July 27, 2013, 12:11:43 am »
That's just as bad as all the posters for Colwyn Bay Prom Day, that were displayed........ all over LLANDUDNO!!  DOH.  :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #4016 on: July 27, 2013, 07:33:54 am »
What is the constant banging I can hear this morning?

Is it coming from out at sea?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4017 on: July 27, 2013, 07:56:56 am »
What is the constant banging I can hear this morning?

Is it coming from out at sea?
It's pile driving for the Wind Farm. You can hear it quite clearly at certain times, especially when on the Pier.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4018 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:34 am »
                I was cycling on the prom earlier this morning Bri, and the noise was very noticeable and is definitely coming from the Gwynt-y-Mor Windfarm area, so I reckon they must have hit some harder than usual resistance with their piling operations. The visibility was very good and there was a lot of activity out there, and you could see the floating hotel ship right on the horizon, as well as various cranes, rigs etc.
                On another note, I seem to remember a post from you last year about a very interesting evening visiting the Penmaenmawr quarries, and I'm sure I have seen an advert in the NWWN or the Pioneer for the same trip this year but I can't seem to get any info on it. Has anybody else heard anything on the subject?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4019 on: July 27, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
                 Here is a photo of the maritime activity in the windfarm area earlier today. As I was cycling back towards the pier I also saw the "green belt" which runs along the stony area. Even the sandcastles on the "beach area" by the boating jetties were covered in it.