Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614292 times)

Offline Ian48

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3945 on: July 09, 2013, 12:22:20 pm »
I may be proved wrong, but the first time I read it, it struck me as nothing but some sort of urban legend.   Something about it just doesn't seem normal, no-one with an ounce of common sense would impose a fine for a  baby having dropped its dummy.   The old man with the sweet wrapper is different, he was a grown man who contravened the law, off his own bat.

People always 'definitely' know someone who has 'definitely' experienced something, but then you dig deeper and find out it was someone whom they knew who 'definitely' knew of someone, who 'definitely' knew someone that such and such had 'definitely' happened to... (repeat ad nauseam)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3946 on: July 09, 2013, 04:13:26 pm »
Nothing shows up in Snopes or similar sites. And both Fester and Dave were witnesses to the person's explanation.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3947 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:51 pm »
Perhaxps all that obstruction of the public parts of the pavements on Mostyn Street are also not there.  Mostyn Street pavement opposite Bog Island is like an obstacle course with various goods, displays and signs just waiting to trip up or injur the passing pedestrian.  But the Street Inspector and his bosses do absolutely nothing.  Paul Evans over to you! 
 $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3948 on: July 09, 2013, 05:08:39 pm »
I was used as a 'go between' because in her words ' I don't do forums' and was requested to make the post on her behalf.
Naturally, the Councillor in question would not wish to engage with her electorate, heaven forbid she should actually wish to communicate with the people that have the choice whether or not to vote for her.

Now, if it were me, given that 11,000 people a month look at the Forum, I would be taking full advantage of the opportunity to both communicate with the people that voted for me and be seen to be doing so;)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3949 on: July 09, 2013, 06:19:48 pm »
Good point Dave, seems like the councillor has spat her dummy out of the pram!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3950 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:51 pm »
she wants to hope that guy with the tickets never saw it

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3951 on: July 09, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »
 :laugh: $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3952 on: July 10, 2013, 12:25:11 am »
Nothing shows up in Snopes or similar sites. And both Fester and Dave were witnesses to the person's explanation.

Indeed Ian, the acquaintance of mine recounted the incident to Dave and I directly.
He had witnessed the incident himself. 
Two things lead me to believe the account to be true.
1, The witness was visibly angered whilst telling Dave and I.
2, He was in years gone by, a man of the cloth, a vicar. Although that is no longer the case.... he is not given to exaggeration as far as I have known.

Finally, given some of the other incidents which Xfor were guilty of, that I KNOW to be true... coupled by my deep mistrust of politicians, on balance if I am forced to 'tick a box', then I vote for..... TRUE.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3953 on: July 10, 2013, 08:25:21 am »
I have just been down to the local shop to get my Daily paper and noticed that the GREEN BAG collection had been completed.   This was obvious from my own bag being empty and the amount of greenery littered on the road and pavements in the roads.

I wonder if xfor would be better employed following some of the Council's own vehicles?    :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3954 on: July 11, 2013, 02:01:28 pm »
Action group to secure funding for Llandudno
Published date: 10 July 2013 | Published by: Iwan Berry

AN action group has been set up to secure additional funding for Llandudno warning that if the resort “goes down, everybody else goes down”.

While the group welcomes millions of pounds of regeneration cash spent on neighbouring towns they claim the “hub” for tourism in North Wales is “in need of a lift”.

Members of Llandudno Town Council formed the new group last week, with the aim of attracting cash to improve basic facilties including pavements, car parking and seating.

It comes after other towns, such as Llandudno Junction and Colwyn Bay, have seen improved parks and shopfronts, and a new multi-million pound watersports centre.

Cllr Margaret Lyon, who will chair the group, said while she had “nothing against” recent regeneration efforts in other towns, more needed to be done to help emphasise Llandudno’s importance for tourism in the region.

She said: “The basis of us doing this is that Llandudno is looking in need of a lift, because it’s looking quite down.

“Llandudno is the hub for tourism in North Wales, and if Llandudno goes down, everybody else goes down.”

Members of the new group had inspected the town to see where improvements could be made.

“The pavements are in a terrible condition and there’s a great need to improve and regenerate the town centre, so it can keep its status as a tourism resort,” said Cllr Lyon.

“We really need to find more on-street parking places, because there aren’t enough. During the Extravaganza and the Air Show, people were parking on the grass areas on Gloddaeth Avenue, as there wasn’t a square inch of parking anywhere else.”

Cllr Lyon added that as well as improved pavements, there was also a need for improved seating and raised flowerbeds in the town centre.

Former Llandudno mayor, councillor Myra Wigzell said: “Llandudno needs some changes – the perception is we’re fine, but if they leave it too long, we will not be fine, and we are one of the most important towns on the coast – and we need to generate the tourist trade.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/124486/action-group-to-secure-funding-for-llandudno.aspx

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3955 on: July 12, 2013, 12:13:46 am »
when i was a young lad many many many moons ago i used to hate having to come with my mum to llandudno because it did,nt have a fairground like the one at rhyl.  I just loved the marine lake and the train that run around it, it was the highlight of the day out. You could hire a three wheeler bicycle  for a tanner and spend an hour riding around in a circle . She in turn loved it because she did,nt have to fork out for rides. now i,m getting on in years i can appreciate why she loved the place so much. there nothing to attract young riff raft who want to spend there money on anything they can just to get rid of it. it,s a place for the old folk  to come to in safety so why is there not somewhere for them to hang out and become young again. or is there?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3956 on: July 12, 2013, 07:19:38 am »
Rhyl or Llandudno?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3957 on: July 13, 2013, 09:55:40 am »
Just had a stroll down the prom,people on the beach already,what a shame the small beach that is not tidal is left in such a mess,litter from yesterday and there is noway the machine has cleaned that part of the beach,yet i saw it on Colwyn bays beach yestrerday and you can tell Rhos has been done,i think the first job for the new council committee should be getting our little beach maintained.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3958 on: July 13, 2013, 10:34:51 am »
I was just on the prom too, Wrex.  :) Llandudno at its best:

Offline viv

« Reply #3959 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:31 pm »
Deserted!