Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616802 times)

Offline Ian48

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3495 on: March 05, 2013, 11:25:47 am »
Yep, it's that one in the middle. The plinth stood on that round section between the two ball-topped iron posts, now joined by the straight pole. There was nothing there before, except the plinth. As I said I guess they thought it was a safety hazard as it was easy to lean over, and instead of putting the plinth somewhere safe, they just pushed it over the ledge.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3496 on: March 05, 2013, 11:32:55 am »
I say 'in the middle', but that pertains to being in the middle of the two old poles. Obviously, I mean the bottom left hand corner of the photo. I'm not always the clearest...

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3497 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:29 pm »
Is this the plinth that you are referring to?
Taken last summer during a GOES exploration of the underneath area of the pier
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3498 on: March 05, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »
The very same.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3499 on: March 05, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »
That's the one. The hole in the middle is where the pole for the railing used to fit in.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3500 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »
I don't remember a pole though, that's why I said that I think they moved it - for safety purposes, so they could fit a pole in its place. I am sure I remember sitting directly on it, perhaps not though...

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3501 on: March 05, 2013, 08:30:01 pm »
There was a fountain  or something similar on the prom that can be seen in earlier postcards of "splash corner" circa 1910

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3502 on: March 05, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »
I don't remember a pole though, that's why I said that I think they moved it - for safety purposes, so they could fit a pole in its place. I am sure I remember sitting directly on it, perhaps not though...
Maybe the hole was to originally attach a lamp post or similar?

I've had a look through my photo archives and found this photo that shows the stone in position fairly clearly:

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3503 on: March 05, 2013, 10:59:56 pm »
Well done! Seems there was a top half that is now missing as it looks higher than it did when I remember it. Perhaps the hole was part of the joint holding the two sections together? It looks like it was some sort of decorative stop stone to mark the entrance to the pier.

Whatever it was I am not sure it merits being a prize exhibit at a maritime museum. Perhaps it should just be returned to where it was meant to be?

I feel almost bad that between us we may have disappointed a few folks who had got quite excited about it. But maybe they don't read the forum...

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #3504 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:24 am »
During and after the GOES walk which a few forum members were on, including myself, the subject was debated on the forum and one or two pics provided by forum members were suggested as the original position of the stone.
This Maritime Museum sounds a good idea,but where? Also if the stone gets moved and " put away" somewhere it will probably be lost behind other things and never see the light of day again !!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3505 on: March 06, 2013, 09:48:57 pm »
I do hope CCBC come along to the extravaganza committee and ask would you like a little help,as we see them pumping thousands into events in Colwyn and Conwy,i know nobody in Llandudno is stupid enought to start another event,but who is starting all these new events in Colwyn Bay and Conwy,is it their town council who are pro-active in all these new events or CCBC doing it.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3506 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:27 pm »
I do hope CCBC come along to the extravaganza committee and ask would you like a little help,as we see them pumping thousands into events in Colwyn and Conwy,i know nobody in Llandudno is stupid enought to start another event,but who is starting all these new events in Colwyn Bay and Conwy,is it their town council who are pro-active in all these new events or CCBC doing it.

Not sure what specific event you are referring to but the 40s festival in the Bay is being organised by the Chamber of Trade as are many of the events in Conwy led by the excellent Toby Tunstall.  Perhaps if Llandudno had a business orientated organisation then they too could organise events but as many Llandudno businesses are 'nationals' and have managers who have little or no interest in extra work on top of the duties to which they are paid it is unlikely to happen.  The most obvious candidates would be the Hoteliers Association but we all know what they do!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3507 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:18 am »
It's always been a battle to get local businesses involved with the Extravaganza. in the late '80s, early '90s the manager of M & S became involved and lent the store's upper floor as a meeting place. Likewise, the Victoria centre and a couple of other big names in town became involved, albeit on the periphery.  Several stores, however, reported that takings dropped during the Extravaganza, so they were fairly reluctant to take part. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3508 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:57 am »

Not sure what specific event you are referring to but the 40s festival in the Bay is being organised by the Chamber of Trade as are many of the events in Conwy led by the excellent Toby Tunstall.  Perhaps if Llandudno had a business orientated organisation then they too could organise events but as many Llandudno businesses are 'nationals' and have managers who have little or no interest in extra work on top of the duties to which they are paid it is unlikely to happen.  The most obvious candidates would be the Hoteliers Association but we all know what they do!
I imagine Wrex is referring to Prom Day in Colwyn Bay - it's always been a mystery to me how CCBC are so keen on this event and pump a lot of money into it, yet practically ignore the Extravaganza? I visit both and the Extravaganza is ten times the event Prom Day ever is.

Offline Jack

« Reply #3509 on: March 07, 2013, 08:55:33 am »
My apologies if he is referring to the Prom 'two' Days but he states 'new' events further in his text!