Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611712 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3465 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:14 am »
* llandudno fog horse

Surely that ought to have been stabled at the Great Orme Light-horse...   WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3466 on: March 01, 2013, 08:10:09 am »
 :laugh: Beefburgers, someone had to say it!  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #3467 on: March 01, 2013, 08:32:38 am »
It's very unusual, I think we get 1 or 2 foggy days a year at most. Today has been the foggiest day I can ever remember, it's hung around all afternoon, giving me a chance to get some great photos.

Did you take any of the prom?

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3468 on: March 01, 2013, 11:42:05 am »
From The Daily Post on the seafront works:

"A THOUSAND tonnes of sand is being switched between a town’s shores in the first step towards restoring it’s once golden beach.

And the move will also tackle the problem of windblown sand accumulating at Llandudno’s West Shore.

The trial project starts next week, when the first batch of sand which has been blighting the West Shore boating lake is carried to the beach on the prom at North Shore.

Conwy County Council cabinet member for the environment, Mike Priestley, said: “We have listened to what people have said – both about the nuisance effect of windblown sand at West Shore and the concerns about diminishing sand on the North Shore.”

Over the winter, tonnes of sand are blown from the beach at West Shore, and much of it accumulates near the nearby White Rabbit statue and lake.

Gogarth ward councillor Margaret Lyon originally came up with the idea of using it to replenish the North Shore – and she is delighted that her suggestion is being taken up.

“That’s brilliant news. There’s an awful lot of sand at West Shore which is blighting the area, and not enough at North Shore. I’m hoping this trial will work – if it does, it will benefit both shores in terms of tourism and amenity for locals,” she said.

The council’s technical manager Dyfed Rowlands said the trial will be closely monitored. He added: “Over the years, a large build up of sand has accumulated and now comes right to the top of the secondary sea wall, which encourages windblown sand entering the area towards the properties of West Shore.

“A thousand tonnes of sand will be deposited between the RNLI slipway and the pier to increase the amenity value of the beach in this area in readiness for the tourist season.”

He said engineers recognised that some sort of groyne or similar structure might be needed to keep the sand in place, but the situation would be reviewed after the trial.

He added that beach management work was underway at North Shore which involves the importation of 6,000 tonnes of shingle and re-profiling of the existing shingle bank to help protect the town from flooding. Rocks are also being cleared from the sand seaward of the lifeboat slipway to improve launching of the lifeboat and to provide a suitable surface for donkey rides.

Cllr Graham Rees, who heads the Destination Conwy tourism body, said: “Enhance the visitor experience is welcome. We are also working on plans to replace the North Shore shelters with Victorian style ones, and also to smarten up the Craig y Don paddling pool.”

One or two points, I appreciate them doing this, but I would have said that it's the other side of the slipway that needs sand, the little beach by the pier entrance already has a fair bit of sand left. Likewise, I am quite perturbed by them saying that 6,000 more tons of of shingle are to be placed the other side of the slipway, going down the prom. I hope there is a very pressing environmental need for yet more rocks to be placed on that section of the beach!

On the other hand, the last sentence sounds promising about the shelters. Few things would improve the seafront at Llandudno more than replacing those shelters. I imagine that the Victorian ones there originally must've been replaced as they were rusted or past-it perhaps. Does anyone know the year? - probably in the 60s at some point. Is the shelter in the central reservation in Gloddaeth Avenue a lucky survivor of them? Or was that always there?

However, various people have talked about replacing the shelters since the late 80s (at least), so I don't know how much we can hope!

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3469 on: March 01, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »
It's very unusual, I think we get 1 or 2 foggy days a year at most.

It rolls in off the sea from the North Shore like a big blanket of cotton wool.
It happened one day when I was working Llandudno Signalbox and was so bad the train drivers were ringing me in the box to ask if the signal was off as they couldn't see the end of the platform.
It wasn't quite that bad yesterday but there were some pockets when it came very close.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3470 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
A thousand tons of sand is a mere drop in the ocean and will have little or no impact on either problem.

Beach sand on West shore will be almost immediately replaced by the sand in the estuary.  A cube metre of sand weighs approx 2 ton so 1000 ton will just about fill a space of 50 x 20 metres to a depth of 1 metre or the equivalent of a half decent size swimming pool!

Another silly spend by the Temple of Waste. ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3471 on: March 01, 2013, 12:35:52 pm »
Did you take any of the prom?
As the fog lasted all afternoon, I was able to spend a good hour or two walking round Town, the Prom,Pier, Happy Valley, taking photos - I managed to get over 500 pics. Here's a couple of the Prom:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3472 on: March 01, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »
Few more:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3473 on: March 01, 2013, 12:43:36 pm »
On the other hand, the last sentence sounds promising about the shelters. Few things would improve the seafront at Llandudno more than replacing those shelters. I imagine that the Victorian ones there originally must've been replaced as they were rusted or past-it perhaps. Does anyone know the year? - probably in the 60s at some point. Is the shelter in the central reservation in Gloddaeth Avenue a lucky survivor of them? Or was that always there?

However, various people have talked about replacing the shelters since the late 80s (at least), so I don't know how much we can hope!
I agree, it would make a fantastic difference - here's a pic of one of the original Prom Shelters:

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3474 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:48 pm »
Cheers Dave, that looks so much better. Such a shame they got rid of them. They look so much lighter and more open. It would be good to have something less blocky and more see-through like that again (if only to stop some of the nefarious activities that go on in the shelters - or at least used to when they had that opaque plastic glass)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3475 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »
Yes, the new ones should have a light & delicate design with clear glass. I'd also like to see them have led lighting fitted, to both create an attractive night time feature and reduce anti-social behaviour in them.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3476 on: March 01, 2013, 01:58:04 pm »
That's a very good idea! I've often felt that as lovely as the prom is, in the dark away from the town side and the lights, the prom and the beach below quickly become very dark and unwelcoming. The shelters don't help as because they are so blocky and hidden it makes you think anyone could be hiding around there. With a bit more light on the subject, it might encourage a bit more late-evening strolling and make the beach less of a dark spot.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3477 on: March 01, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »
etI think pochin built the shelters on the prom as a reward for allowing that brick mish mash by the Royal,as for the sand issue the only reason we are getting it is because of all the beach replenishing work being done in Colwyn.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #3478 on: March 01, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »
Thanks DaveR for putting the foggy photos on here. I've enjoyed looking at them. Have you put an album of them on Flickr?
I was wondering if I could choose a couple and buy the prints from you (Llandudno Emporium) like before?

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #3479 on: March 01, 2013, 08:29:16 pm »
Great photos DaveR quite spooky. Well done hope it wasnt to cold.  romanjohn.