Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2615895 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3450 on: February 19, 2013, 08:15:25 am »
I'd certainly be there but am out of the area this weekend, unfortunately.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3451 on: February 20, 2013, 03:02:06 pm »
Just seen this on the CCBC website

13/02/2013 - Planning Committee Code Ref: 0/39171 - Construction of 3 no. fourth floor bedrooms, installation of 2 no. sash windows to east elevation on fourth floor, extension to smoking shelter and relocation of air handling unit. Empire Hotel, 73 Church Walks, Llandudno 13/02/2013

Just seen in this week's Pioneer, that the application has now been approved
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #3452 on: February 21, 2013, 10:17:14 pm »
Walking my dogs in the early hours of Monday morning (2.30am) couldn't believe my eyes when four armed Police officers entering with haste the flats at 129 Mostyn street. dont know much more as I was moved on by Police Officers. What was that all about ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3453 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:20 pm »
It's a 'wild world', Cat.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3454 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:19 pm »
Which is 129 Mostyn St?   Is that above the closed Gimberts shop?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3455 on: February 21, 2013, 10:59:32 pm »
Which is 129 Mostyn St?   Is that above the closed Gimberts shop?
Correct. I believe those flats were the probable target of the arson attack on the shop that took place a few months ago.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3456 on: February 28, 2013, 07:36:16 am »
Can;t wait to go and build my sandcastle on the town beach.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3457 on: February 28, 2013, 07:55:18 am »
Yes, the news that 'Council officials' have decided to spend money on moving sand from the West shore to the North shore comes only about two years after Hugo and several others in here asked why they weren't doing it anyway.

Here's an idea: why don't we have - on one day a year - a special open session in which anyone from the town can ask any councillor anything at all? It's perfectly feasible. Tickets could be sold in advance for a nominal fee - say, £1.00 - and the sales would give an approximate idea of what size venue to book.  Alternatively, admission could be free, but pre-registration would still be required and people could use their rate demand notices as admission tickets.

At the session, anyone could ask anything to any councillor, and this could be spontaneous, although probably some sort of pre-filtering process - ideally done by a local community group to avoid the possibility of councillors 'losing' questions they didn't want to answer - might be desirable.

There are all manner of questions that arise in here and many - like the sand issue - have answers which seem glaringly obvious, so it might be nice to know what the reasons are for the systematic prevarication which seems to pervade every aspect of council business. If this were made an annual event and attendance by all councillors mandated then I suspect good councillors would find it an opportunity while the poor ones might seize the opportunity to stand down in the future. Just a thought, anyway.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3458 on: February 28, 2013, 08:09:31 am »
A suggestion that has been mooted in the past, but with the apathetic attitude of the Electorate the attendance could consist mainly of cranks, in both camps! >>>

I did notice yet another flotilla of porcine beasts preparing to take off over the County of Conwy but they stayed grounded due to poor results from the reconnaissance reports received!  :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3459 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:13 am »
Interesting idea, Ian. As we saw with the Colwyn Bay Pier meetings a few years ago, the people will turn out in large numbers for issues that concern them.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3460 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:31 pm »
Thick fog has covered most of central Llandudno all afternoon, this was the scene on the Pier earlier:

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #3461 on: February 28, 2013, 06:55:42 pm »
Love that one DaveR!
I think it is unusual for Llandudno to be foggy?
I miss the fog from my Peak District days.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3462 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »
It's very unusual, I think we get 1 or 2 foggy days a year at most. Today has been the foggiest day I can ever remember, it's hung around all afternoon, giving me a chance to get some great photos.  ;D Outside, right, now, the fog is the thickest I've ever known it.

Foggy Day by [davidrobertsphotography], on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3463 on: February 28, 2013, 09:48:09 pm »
The fog may have been playing tricks with my eyes but there appeared to be a horse assisting with the coastal defence works...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3464 on: February 28, 2013, 10:45:19 pm »
You can never have enough horsepower! The fog did seem very strange, we drove up the Orme for a look at it!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas