Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612073 times)

Offline Ian48

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3435 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:26 pm »
I see on the weekly county planning applications register that an application has been submitted to develop the Augusta Holiday Flats. They will be reduced in number from 35 to 28 apparently. So, hopefully another eyesore going soon. I wonder who is developing them...Mostyn, housing assoc? Anyone know? Will be much better hopefully and some more life for that area too!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3436 on: February 08, 2013, 12:20:07 pm »
Just seen this on the CCBC website

13/02/2013 - Planning Committee Code Ref: 0/39171 - Construction of 3 no. fourth floor bedrooms, installation of 2 no. sash windows to east elevation on fourth floor, extension to smoking shelter and relocation of air handling unit. Empire Hotel, 73 Church Walks, Llandudno 13/02/2013

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3437 on: February 08, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »
Has that not just been sent back to the committee to confirm because they went against the Planning Officer's recommendation? They usually have to do that the following month after they reject it.

Usually in Conwy the councillors do reject it again and then it goes to appeal in Cardiff and the Inspector allows it and they end up costing us a lot of money in the process.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3438 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
Has that not just been sent back to the committee to confirm because they went against the Planning Officer's recommendation? They usually have to do that the following month after they reject it.

Usually in Conwy the councillors do reject it again and then it goes to appeal in Cardiff and the Inspector allows it and they end up costing us a lot of money in the process.

This time it was a little bit different Ian, instead of the usual retrograde planning application that the Empire submit when caught out, they actually did apply in a correct manner to build the 4 extra bedrooms but all the occupants of Tan-Yr-Ogo Terrace put in objections
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3439 on: February 10, 2013, 11:15:36 am »
instead of the usual retrograde planning application that the Empire submit when caught out
Do you have an examples of this? I don't recall any?

Offline Blongb

« Reply #3440 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47:02 am »
instead of the usual retrograde planning application that the Empire submit when caught out

I have a friend who is a neighbour to the Empire and his entire conversation is about problems he and his family have with unauthorised work being carried out, normally by Anwyl (a company I haven’t forgiven for the destruction of Penmorfa (Gogarth Abbey)), on behalf of the Empire. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of what I have been told.  &shake&

Offline Blongb

« Reply #3441 on: February 10, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »
Further to my above Dave, a simple FOI request to CCBC would easily settle how many retrograde planning applications have been submitted on behalf of the Empire. Purely from a personal point of view, I wouldn't have any objections to their plans for more bedrooms as it would help make the Empire a stronger business, which in this economic climate must be seen as a good thing.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3442 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:53 pm »
Well, all of CCBC's Planning Applications are listed in Google but, try as I might,  I can't find any examples of retrospective planning permission being applied for:

"retrospective planning permission" "empire hotel" llandudno

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #3443 on: February 13, 2013, 05:38:03 pm »
13/02/13 - Coastal defences on North Shore

Work is scheduled to take place on North Shore, Llandudno as part of maintenance to retain the standard of the coastal defences.

The work, which will start next week, will take place on a section of beach extending from 100m west of the Trevor Street Slipway and along the shore to 180m east of Ty'n Y Ffrith Road.

The work involves returning beach material, moved by natural processes, to its original location within the coastal defences.  We'll be moving existing material within the area and importing additional material to replace materials that have been washed away. 

The Council will also be temporarily working along North Shore, as part of the planned coastal defence scheme for Colwyn Bay.  A steel pipeline will be constructed on the upper section of North Shore beach and once constructed will be floated out to sea and transported by boat to Colwyn Bay.   

Sections of the promenade and beach will be closed to the public for short periods when work is taking place and to allow materials to be delivered and unloaded.

Work will start on Monday, 18th February 2013 and will take three to four weeks to complete.

For more information please contact Conwy's Environment and Infrastructure Department on (01492) 575337 or e-mail environment.infrastructure@conwy.gov.uk

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3444 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »
    My God, this should stir up some emotions from the Llandudno nobility.

A bloody great pipe ----- being built on our promenade  ----- and then,  and then  ( now speechless) 

being towed away to that bloody lot behind the Little Orme.      Mike

Please excuse the strong language.   Its the only way I can translate the speech into words.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3445 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:44 pm »
This is the same guy who killed the swan at West Shore a few years back.  &shake& When he was arrested then, one of the officers told Miah it was illegal to kill a swan because it was the property of the Queen, to which Miah replied: "I hate the Queen, I hate this country.". Apparently, doesn't hate it enough to go and live somewhere else to scrounge benefits there?

Community order for Llandudno Muslim man who claimed religion allowed him to hit wife

By Owen Hughes
Feb 13 2013

A Muslim man who claimed his religion entitled him to hit his wife has been given a community order.

Shamshu Miah, 58, of Alexandra Road, Llandudno, struck his wife three times after she did not get him a cigarette.

He later told police his religion allowed him to hit his wife if she did not do as she was told.

Yesterday Llandudno magistrates court heard his wife continued to support Miah, who suffered from bipolar episodes.

The court heard she wanted him to move back to the family home.

Miah was ordered to undertake community mental health treatment. He has to pay £85 costs.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3446 on: February 13, 2013, 08:36:21 pm »
and if that had been a british guy he would have been fined a lot more or jailed 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3447 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:48 pm »
and if that had been a british guy he would have been fined a lot more or jailed

You are probably correct Norman,   Do you know if this was the same Miah from Alexandra Road that killed a Swan on West Shore and tried to eat it because he was hungry in the month of Ramadan?        :rage:

I've just checked Google and it is the same person. He's a nutter to put it very kindly.      :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3448 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:50 pm »
I hope as many people as possible attend the March to show their support for Llandudno Hospital:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3449 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:43 am »
We'll be there.  It's been very good to me - admittedly for only minor issues - but the facility as a whole is much needed.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.