Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613289 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3390 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:48 pm »
At noon today it had landed in the playground of the school in Conwy, (just outside the castle walls, Gyffin side)

It was being demonstrated to hundreds of excited schoolkids.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3391 on: January 11, 2013, 09:04:36 am »
More appalling mismanagement from the BCUHT:

Llandudno Hospital breast cancer surgery will cease
Jan 10 2013 by Judith Phillips, North Wales Weekly News

BREAST surgery at Llandudno Hospital will cease almost immediately despite protests from campaigners.
And a councillor has called for The Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board to be dissolved for going back on a promise to retain the service.

Shocked Llandudno town councillors discussed the issue as an urgent item on Tuesday, and Cllr Greg Robbins received unanimous support for letters to be sent to the chief executive of the health board and to Welsh health minister lesley Griffiths asking for surgery to be retained at the hospital.

“The letters should express our extreme shock and disappointment that promises made have been broken and totally disregarded.

“I believe we should also say that we as a council have lost all trust in the Betsi Cadwaladr Board and ask that it be dissolved.”

The vice-chairman of the Llandudno Hospital Action Group, Carol Marubbi said she and the chairman, Linda Groom had been given assurances by former health minister Edwina Hart that breast surgery would be safe, and that the hospital would have a new women’s health centre.

“This unit is a centre of excellence and the service it offers is exceptional.
“It is just appalling that all the promises we were given just three years by the minister, have been broken.
“We never thought for a minute that the breast surgery service was at risk,” she complained.

Doreen Atkinson and Dorothy Smith from Llandudno, have both undergone surgery on Maesdu Ward at Llandudno Hospital and are fighting to keep it.

Doreen commented: “I am horrified about the way the public and patients have been let down after all the promises made by the previous health minister, Edwina Hart, and the work done by a project board regarding the plans for new hospital departments in Llandudno, in particular a dedicated Women’s Health unit combining screening, surgery and aftercare.
“I have heard all the arguments but am not convinced that a way cannot be found to keep this unit.
“The unit was classed as being excellent. Breast surgery is very traumatic and having a dedicated unit away from the main large hospitals cuts down the chance of infection.
“Part of the recovery process from surgery, which is so excellent in Llandudno, is that you are with women suffering from the same problem, and it must save the NHS money that it helps ladies recover quicker rather than being with patients having different operations.
“I think it is overlooked that it is the people who pay the taxes that supply the Welsh Government with the resources to fund the NHS.
“The services at Llandudno have been reviewed and reviewed over the last few years, and the money that this has cost could have helped fund a new unit and it could be up and running now.
“I feel there has been a hidden agenda all along to cut all types of surgery at the hospital, gradually transferring operations to Ysbyty Gwynedd, including the endoscopy unit. So much money is wasted in the NHS on projects that never seem to get off the ground,” said Doreen.

A statement from the Betsi Cadwaladr Trust issued yesterday (Wednesday) said shorter hours for junior doctors meant surgery at the hospital was at risk.
However there were plans to ensure patient safety if it was moved elsewhere.
And gave an assurance: “The majority of breast services at Llandudno Hospital, including clinics, diagnostics and the Breast Test Wales service will not be affected.”

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3392 on: January 11, 2013, 10:44:24 am »
Oh, that's just sickening.
Once again, we are informed by pompous politicians that some great new resource is coming to our town, only to have the whole house of cards collapse.
I bet they are not even ashamed of themselves.

It makes me wonder whether the whole ''project'' was just a scam, to line the pockets of the project team, the politicians, and to perpetuate the employment of the overpaid NHS managers.

Having worked on many 'projects' in my time, the use of resource has to be justified, the need has to be established and the outcome agreed by all (including the financiers) before spending the time and money on it.

At the end of the day, there are human beings with very frightening health issues, who now find themselves with the additional worry of where and how they will be treated. The uncertainty will not help, and it is not fair.

One day, we will learn to completely ignore the hollow words of politicians.  &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3393 on: January 13, 2013, 06:20:51 pm »
Now the excellent weekend of tAKE PART has ended, Venue Cymru has FREE washed builders sand for collection now and tomorrow!!!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3394 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:07 am »
Belle Vue Hotel going up for auction, £300k guide price:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25496178.html

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #3395 on: January 15, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »
What a superb location

Does it have car parking ?
Would make three or four nice apartments there

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3396 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:02 pm »
What a superb location

No car parking, I dont think.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3397 on: January 18, 2013, 07:50:43 pm »
A bitterly cold wind and a rough sea today:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3398 on: January 18, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
Yes, a very cold wind, made my face ache earlier when we had a quick walk!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3399 on: January 18, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
It's fair to say the Prom wasn't particularly busy!  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3400 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59:30 pm »
No cyclists? No Punch and Judy?  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3401 on: January 19, 2013, 08:00:36 am »
...or deck chairs...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

« Reply #3402 on: January 19, 2013, 08:50:15 am »
.....or snow....which is a pity because I was hoping for some more snowy promenade pictures.
It was interesting to see your photos from yesterday though because I was wondering if you had had much snow down there.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3403 on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:18 pm »
What a superb location

No Codyline no Parking and most defiantly no to Apartments you would never be granted change of use as all apartments have to have there own dedicate parking spaces. Once it's sold we will have to meet our sixth set of neighbours since 1997
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3404 on: January 22, 2013, 02:19:47 pm »
News,anything,even a rumour,something must be happening somewhere.I never thought things could get this quiet.