Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2642209 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3330 on: December 22, 2012, 07:06:42 pm »
I see Oscar has taken issue with Nemesis' post regarding M&S and in the process has kinda missed the point that the issue is not about the store but rather the hysteria over shopping for what is just two days of the year.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #3331 on: December 22, 2012, 07:34:16 pm »
OMG-- I must be crazy. Went down to M&S at about 9.10am this morning. Only wanted a bit of bread and some Cheshire cheese to go with the Christmas Cake  ( remember where I come from-- Christmas Cake with out the cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze !!!! :-*) A few grapes would be nice, perhaps a joint of beef for a treat and my Saturday Telegraph-- can't function without the GK Crossword.
The whole place was solid, people, trollies, staff replenishing the shelves and the floors were so slippery with people's wet feet it was getting dangerous.
No Telegraphs and no Cheshire cheese, so I had to settle for Wensleydale, got my nice piece of beef, some grapes and bread and managed to squeeze to a till which had just opened. The queues were all the way back through the shoppers. I could have done with spikes on my elbows as my requests for" Excuse me, may I pass through" were ignored.
Could someone please tell me what people do with all the food they buy? Unless they are feeding the whole of the British Armed forces they couldn't possibly use it all !

Here's a tip for all Locals during mad shopping times at M & S. If the problems getting a till in the food hall, take your purchases up to the cloths department and pay for it there. Then when the sales are on after Christmas take your cloths purchases and pay for them in the food hall. It Works for me every time, after all a bar code reader is a bar code reader no matter where it's positioned.  ;D
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3332 on: December 23, 2012, 08:51:21 am »
I see Oscar has taken issue with Nemesis' post regarding M&S and in the process has kinda missed the point that the issue is not about the store but rather the hysteria over shopping for what is just two days of the year.

SDQ. I shouldn't worry about it ! :twoface:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3333 on: December 25, 2012, 06:59:01 pm »
Last year we had a walk in llandudno on a very quiet Christmas day and today we repeated it!

Llyn Bodafon

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3334 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:32 pm »
Great photos, Andy.  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3335 on: December 25, 2012, 09:48:06 pm »
Not a coffee bean in sight.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3336 on: December 25, 2012, 09:54:17 pm »
Thanks Dave, seems strange seeing it so quiet!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3337 on: December 26, 2012, 09:05:28 am »
Thanks Dave, seems strange seeing it so quiet!
Ideal if you're making an 'end of the world' type film.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3338 on: December 26, 2012, 09:13:12 am »
Yes, but last year we heard Christmas music playing from the Victoria Centre, very spooky! Wasn't playing this year!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3339 on: December 26, 2012, 01:55:46 pm »
Packed today-- especially at the dip .

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3340 on: December 27, 2012, 09:42:34 am »
My question is ,what is Llandudno going to be like next year?. I don;t mean xmas lights or things like that,unless we take things like that off the town council they will never improve,what i mean is how many more High st stores are we going to lose,will any developers gamble on any of our eyesores,what will CCBC cock up next,2012 was the parks dept ,2013?.The future that is what im wondering,11 emty shops on Mostyn st,6 or 7 in the Victoria center,Comet on Mostyn Champneys,luckily no pubs have gone,Madoc St is holding up,just want to know the thoughts of other members.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3341 on: December 27, 2012, 03:11:20 pm »
My question is ,what is Llandudno going to be like next year?. I don;t mean xmas lights or things like that,unless we take things like that off the town council they will never improve,what i mean is how many more High st stores are we going to lose,will any developers gamble on any of our eyesores,what will CCBC cock up next,2012 was the parks dept ,2013?.The future that is what im wondering,11 emty shops on Mostyn st,6 or 7 in the Victoria center,Comet on Mostyn Champneys,luckily no pubs have gone,Madoc St is holding up,just want to know the thoughts of other members.

Upper Mostyn St is my biggest worry Wrex.
(Apart from the Pavilion site, the Pier itself and Tudno Castle)
Too many retailers have abandoned it in 2012, and with Hoosons Corner still boarded up it doesn't auger well for 2013.

I was sorely tempted to move my business to the Silver Gem Jewellers when it closed, but I realised that Gimberts has gone, Merrymoon has gone, Hoosons is still closed, The London is for sale, and the other retailers look frankly terrible.
BW Ryders and the Sewing machine shop are never busy, and The Rock Shop is now in a y poor state.
Also.... Pars Restaurant now gone too!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3342 on: December 27, 2012, 03:23:10 pm »
Just read this :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-20579589
Seems to be making your point about Upper Mostyn Street Fester.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3343 on: December 27, 2012, 03:47:05 pm »
I've often said Merrymoon would make a great coffee shop.

Businesses come, and businesses go. The renovation of the Clarence will boost that end of town significantly. Hoosons (£35k a year) and Merrymoon (£19k a year) are the key properties that need letting to boost the street.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3344 on: December 27, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »
I think the swimming pool car park drains have been fixed at long last, only took them...4 years?

...and people say they're not on top of things...
It would appear my optimism was misplaced, sadly: