Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616802 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #3285 on: December 05, 2012, 08:29:20 am »
what is the point in getting on the town council when they do nothing for the good of the resort.

Maybe it would take the formation of a new party: the 3T forum party could field candidates in every seat, and - if enough got on - they could start to make a difference.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #3286 on: December 05, 2012, 09:16:23 am »

Maybe it would take the formation of a new party: the 3T forum party could field candidates in every seat, and - if enough got on - they could start to make a difference.

I'm willing to have a go!   Lots of campaigning experience!    $good$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian48

« Reply #3287 on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:53 pm »
Hopefully the Pioneer is right about the Clarence restarting soon *fingers crossed*

I also saw in the planning applications list om Conwy's site that there is an application in for number 5 Vaughan St to be converted into 5 self-contained flats and for the verandah to be glazed and repaired. If I am correct, this is the Orme View guest house above Collector's Corner.

Perhaps Mostyn are doing it, in which case they'll probably do a nice job as it's started to look quite run down really (not helped by the plasterwork obviously having been hacked off in some work decades ago). I would imagine that it's hard running a guest house, up a side door above a shop in that sort of set-up these days as people have different expectations (sea view, parking, ground floor reception etc.). So perhaps it's good that it'll get converted into nice flats.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3288 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:29 pm »
Hopefully the Pioneer is right about the Clarence restarting soon *fingers crossed*

I also saw in the planning applications list om Conwy's site that there is an application in for number 5 Vaughan St to be converted into 5 self-contained flats and for the verandah to be glazed and repaired. If I am correct, this is the Orme View guest house above Collector's Corner.

Perhaps Mostyn are doing it, in which case they'll probably do a nice job as it's started to look quite run down really (not helped by the plasterwork obviously having been hacked off in some work decades ago). I would imagine that it's hard running a guest house, up a side door above a shop in that sort of set-up these days as people have different expectations (sea view, parking, ground floor reception etc.). So perhaps it's good that it'll get converted into nice flats.
Definitely. I see no harm in losing the odd poor quality hotel or guest house if it means the remaining ones become more viable as a result.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3289 on: December 08, 2012, 09:31:00 am »
An iPhone shot of the waves bashing against the Pier yesterday afternoon:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3290 on: December 08, 2012, 09:33:52 am »
A Colliers 'For Sale' sign has recently appeared outside the Baytree Hotel:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3291 on: December 17, 2012, 05:29:19 pm »
Carlton roundabout is flooded again, water is right across the road.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3292 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »
   What is the water?  Heavy rainfall, or has the very high tide levels stopped the rain water escaping, or, heaven forbid, has the tide level been so high that sea water has entered into the towns drainage system?

I cannot believe that is possible at the present time, but who knows for the future.  It is not given much publicity but probably around a mile inland from Rhyl high street, around the Ffordd Derwen area, at very high tides water comes UP out of the drains for surface water.  I've seen it, I used to live there.  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3293 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33:46 pm »
It's just caused by heavy rainfall, I think, but it seems to be getting worse as time goes by. Maybe one of the sewers is obstructed?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3294 on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:55 am »
The Carlton Roundabout was flooded on at least 3 occasions today, (Monday)...each time after a rain storm.

It seems take about an hour and a half for it to drain away afterwards.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3295 on: December 18, 2012, 07:09:13 am »
Heavy rainfall, or has the very high tide levels stopped the rain water escaping, or, heaven forbid, has the tide level been so high that sea water has entered into the towns drainage system?

The old toilets at the lowest point along the Rhos prom seawall would always flood during the high tides.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3296 on: December 18, 2012, 07:15:15 am »
Heavy rainfall, or has the very high tide levels stopped the rain water escaping, or, heaven forbid, has the tide level been so high that sea water has entered into the towns drainage system?

The old toilets at the lowest point along the Rhos prom seawall would always flood during the high tides.
...and the road outside still does. There are other similar low spots locally; outside the Station in the Junction and two spots on the road from Junction to Deganwy.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #3297 on: December 18, 2012, 05:02:00 pm »
I don't think the guys on the drain cleaning crew do a good job or know how to do a good job. Another case of the 'that'll do' attitude?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3298 on: December 18, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
I don't think the guys on the drain cleaning crew do a good job or know how to do a good job. Another case of the 'that'll do' attitude?

That would be a management issue in that case.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3299 on: December 18, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »
Just look at the mess CCBC made this year of looking after the gardens and grass verges and like Fester says that was not the fault of the workforce,its the management,In the case of the drains the worst place is the swimming pool car park,then outside Cotton Traders and now the Carlton roundabout and they are incapable of clearing these drains.