Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612387 times)

Offline Jack

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2010, 02:08:22 pm »
Lot of work going on to get the Past Times shop (formerly Bay Trading) ready for business. They must have had 6 or more people stocking the shelves today.

According to today's NWWN, the Past Times shop is a 'pop-up' shop.  Do I understand this to be just here for a couple of months and will then close again?  Therefore are they coming into the town just for the busy period in the run up to Christmas to 'cherry pick' business.  It must be irritating for existing businesses who sell similiar merchandise but are paying rates and overheads the whole year round.  Is this the future for retail?  Shops becoming seasonal - opening in late October and closing early January.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
It seemed quite busy in there this morning, most of the stock is being displayed as reduced and the back of the shop has been made into a makeshift storage area

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »
The wind really got up in the late afternoon, the gusts were scattering A-boards, cafe tables and chairs everywhere! I was looking warily at the scaffolding surrounding Wetherspoons but it seems pretty secure, although the dust sheets were starting to get ripped off. The dust from the sandblasting was flying everywhere as well.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2010, 06:47:41 pm »
If the past is anything to go by, you'll need to watch out for flying roof slates,   :(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2010, 10:14:32 pm »
If the wind was bad in town, you can guess what it was like up the Orme. The surprising thing is how quickly it came, no more than ten/fifteen minutes from fairly calm to holding on for your life

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2010, 12:16:46 am »
You are spot on there Mike,
I was chatting to a couple of people on the Pier at 3.30 ish and we were celebrating how mild the weather was compared to the forecast.... and within 20 seconds of nodding our heads,   my stock was all over the pier,  my sign was flattened... and we were all running for cover.
Scary stuff and damaging.

When I got home, (up the Orme)  my large wooden gates were badly damaged, and bins were all over the road.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:36 am »
The surprising thing is how quickly it came, no more than ten/fifteen minutes from fairly calm to holding on for your life

Indeed. It also went fairly quickly, but it reminded me of the fact that the UK experiences about 200 tornadoes a year, and the intensity of the wind made me wonder for a moment...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2010, 09:28:29 am »
I was saying the other day that I was working at the end of the Pier one day in the Summer many years ago and what felt like a tornado blew up out of nowhere. It went from being a peaceful, sunny day to absolute chaos in a few minutes, with the heavy wooden doors being ripped off their hinges in the Pierhead Pavilion. Then, it all went calm and sunny again and the Pier's maintenance staff had a hard time believing that high winds had caused the damage.  :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:56 am »
From what I can find out, it seems that the trailing edge of a front went through.  That often causes squally winds, followed by a veering or backing of the wind direction, and the wind has now veered round to the West.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2010, 11:09:38 am »
I drove down Arvon Ave at about 10 to 5 and the leaves were whirling up in spirals. A very strange sight.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Sara

« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2010, 04:25:51 pm »
Asda's car park is a nightmare. Just taken me an hour to get out of there. Cars were bumper to bumper, how there weren't any accidents I don't know. The staff are directing traffic and as I left, the slip road into Asda was being coned off, so traffic coming down the Conway Rd couldn't enter. And it's not even Christmas yet  :(  :( :( :(

Yorkie

« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2010, 06:36:17 pm »
Nothing unusual about that Sara!   It happens quite often.     $uk

Offline Sara

« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »
Never taken me that long before tho! Next time will walk and hubby can come in his electric wheelchair, it's amazing how many bags of shopping i can load onto it even with him in it LOL.  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: November 01, 2010, 05:26:26 pm »
Manor Fine Foods has opened in Upper Mostyn Street:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #194 on: November 01, 2010, 05:40:59 pm »
 :o    Looks very nice the sort of shop that will attract the finer shopper,will certainly be poping in.Very few postings over the weekend is everybody on holiday,i notice Oscar has gone very quiet so lets try not to go the same way.   ΒΆΒΆ##