Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612596 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #2340 on: May 06, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »
Doesn't do my Ochlophobia any good!     ;)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Karen and Derek

« Reply #2341 on: May 07, 2012, 09:14:41 am »
That looks like Trojan in the crowd!  :)

I wondered what had happened to him.

Karen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2342 on: May 08, 2012, 01:21:18 pm »
Appeal after vehicles damaged in Llandudno
08/05/2012

Police are appealing for information after 11 cars parked outside hotels on Llandudno promenade were damaged over the Bank holiday weekend.

The vehicles were parked on the hotel side of the promenade between Gloddaeth Crescent, Mostyn Crescent and St George’s Cresecent.

Inspector Ian Verburg said that the damaged cars had been scratched as they were parked between Saturday May 5 and Sunday May 6.

He said that they were now anxious to speak to anyone who might have noticed anything suspicious.

He said: “I would appeal for any witnesses to what was mindless damage caused on an otherwise quiet and good natured Bank Holiday weekend in Llandudno, which saw the hosting of the Victorian Extravaganza."

Anyone with information is asked to contact North Wales Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.  here

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2343 on: May 08, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »
 :o Terrible that after all of the good work done to bring tourists here this weekend this happens! Why oh why do they do it? Too much alcohol probably!  $angry$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2344 on: May 13, 2012, 04:21:37 pm »
The Clarence Hotel is looking very sad these days. All work stopped on site and the word is that the structural problems are so bad that demolition/rebuilding may be the only way forward.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2345 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:03 am »
I received an email this morning from CCBC regarding the Oympic Torch Relay. Roads will be closed whilst it passes through and any vehicles blocking the route will be towed away.  Seems an awful lot of fuss to me, for an event that is of no relevance to this area and has resulted in Lottery funds being diverted from the rest of the UK to London.

As you’ll be aware the Olympic Torch Relay visits Conwy County Borough on Tuesday, 29 May 2012.

The relay will take most of the day to travel from Conwy to Kinmel Bay and will involve a rolling roadblock as it travels through the area.

I have attached a copy of the itinerary so that you are able to warn staff, colleagues, suppliers or customers in advance that the relay is in your area.   If advised in advance, most people will be able to make alternative arrangements to minimise disruption to their travel plans.

For example: Bangor Road, Conwy will be closed to traffic from approximately 08:20 until 08:50hrs.

If you have any questions about the Torch Relay visiting Conwy County Borough please contact Alun Pritchard, Senior Marketing Officer on (01492) 575498 or email alun.pritchard@conwy.gov.uk

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2346 on: May 14, 2012, 09:31:09 am »
Seems a big fuss about nothing to me too, a complete waste of money!

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #2347 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:38 am »
Seems a big fuss about nothing to me too, a complete waste of money!

Agree, of no interest to me.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2348 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:07 pm »
I've been driving around for years with a torch in the car, never had any need for a rolling roadblock  ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2349 on: May 15, 2012, 10:02:32 am »
I just noticed this in a recent Planning Application:

"Over the past 15 years, population growth in the Llandudno and Colwyn Bay areas has
been significantly greater than previously forecast, such that the drinking water supply
design population for 2055, predicted in 1997, has now been reached. 
As a result, during periods of peak demand DCWW has difficulty in maintaining water
levels at downstream service reservoirs and this has led, in turn, to numerous customer
complaints regarding low tap pressure. "

This was a point I was making the other day - we can't just carry on building more and more houses that are creating an ever greater strain on the infrastructure.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2350 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
Might need to dam an English valley to supply North Wales!  ;D  $walesflag$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2351 on: May 15, 2012, 10:57:13 am »
Imagine the howls of outrage if that was suggested...

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2352 on: May 15, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »
There seem to be two separate issues here.  Pressure issues are not necessarily the same as security of supply.  Areas like Llanrhos have suffered low pressure at peak times for years which is why the old Board/Council built the two pumping stations at Glan Conwy Corner.  One was demolished as part of the A55 works and I don't know if the other still works.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2353 on: May 15, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
The report draws a clear connection between the expanding population and the resulting fall in water pressure?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2354 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
I haven't noticed it before but there is a flag flying near the jetty awarded by Keep Wales Tidy.  $good$

In March each year, the distinctive yellow and blue flag is awarded to beaches that meet mandatory standard water quality and are;

• Clean
• Safe
• Well-managed

Because beaches are all very different in character, the Seaside Awards are split into two categories, resort and rural.

A Seaside Award ‘RESORT’ beach attracts many visitors with its facilities and activities. Usually found in or near towns, resort beaches provide toilets, car parks, access and facilities for disabled people and restrict access for dogs.

There are 29 different criteria which are checked at each resort beach before the award is made.

So congratulations, Llandudno.