Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2649899 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #2265 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:54 pm »
I'm pretty sure it was storm damage. Some of the other globes were intact but just hanging down or out of position. I've reported the damage to CCBC.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2266 on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:22 am »
A little damp

Offline dingo20

« Reply #2267 on: April 09, 2012, 09:34:52 am »
Anything happened today I feel like a day out but the weather give me the hump. Any suggestions?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2268 on: April 09, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »
Anything happened today I feel like a day out but the weather give me the hump. Any suggestions?

Take a couple of sleeping pills and wait until Tuesday!    Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2269 on: April 14, 2012, 05:30:37 pm »
Who else has noticed these supposed 'Rag Mag' sellers in Llandudno. They are usually to be found on the corner outside Caffe Nero, working in a team of about 4 or 5. Thing is, I don't believe they are actually students and I don't believe the mag they are selling has anything to do with any University Rag Week.

These women are quite aggressive in their selling techniques but I've not seen any sign of Police or PCSOs tackling them or checking their credentials.

I think they are part of this lot:
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8429288.Warning_over_York____Rag_Mag____vendors/

Just say NO is my advice.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2270 on: April 14, 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
soft lad me got done yesterday ,good job i was tight 50p  :rage:

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #2271 on: April 14, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »
Against my better judgement, my missus purchased one this afternoon from one young girl claiming to be a student for £2, although it has £3 on the front cover.

Since getting home, my curiosity got the better of me and this is what it says inside the front page confirming it is a scam.

Thank you for buying this magazine.

Although students ‘Rag Week’ is normally in February/March this gag Mag is sold throughout the year.

There are 6-8 editions per year, produced as an initiative to give students, ex-students and the unemployed, the opportunity to earn money, by selling of it.

This particular edition was compiled and printed by scholars and top wits at the university of Manchester, Leeds Sheffiled, Cardiff, Swansea, Bangor, London and Glasgow.

Contributions also from Bristol, Essex, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham, Plymouth and Nottingham.

If you are of a delicate disposition or easily offended, then do not turn the page, this may contain adult humour and artwork. Not for sale to minors.

A percentage of the cover price is retained by the vendor.

Periodical magazines can be sold exempt from licence quoting the Miscellaneous Street Trading Provisions Act Schedule 4 Paragraph 3a.

The punctuation is as it is in the mag.

It does seem to be a scam as there is no mention of any of the proceeds being passed on to any of the universities mentioned.

I guess this could be another version of the ‘Big Issue’ where individuals purchase a supply of mags, come into town to flog them and go home at the end of the day with bulging pockets.

BTW, this issue is undated and could easily be the same issue quoted by DaveR and sold in York during October 2010.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2272 on: April 14, 2012, 11:47:10 pm »
This topic should really be under the heading 'Scum'

This GANG of women are extracting money under false pretences, and are no doubt linked to more organised crime in some way.

It is obvious by looking at them that they have never been to any university, nor could they spell it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2273 on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:46 am »
One of the reasons that we now rarely walk about in Mostyn Street when it's busy, what with those awful big issue sellers, drunks etc  $angry$. I found it very pleasant on Christmas day when it was very quiet, bliss!   D)

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2274 on: April 15, 2012, 08:37:26 am »
"Council issues warning about Gag Mags (2009)

Lichfield District Council has been tipped off about people who are selling 'Gag Mags' in the city centre.

Gag Mags are magazines produced to resemble Rag Mags. They deliberately trade off the fact that they look like magazines that are created by students to raise money for charity.

Councillor Ian Pritchard, Cabinet Member for Housing, Health and Environmental Protection at Lichfield District Council, said: "We would urge shoppers not to buy one of these so called Gag Mags as they are not connected to a university and the funds raised do not go towards charitable endeavours, but instead go directly to the sellers. You can tell if the person selling a Rag Mag is who they say they are by checking their student ID and their collection permit. If you spot anyone selling Gag Mags in the district, please report them to Staffordshire Trading Standards on 01785 330356." "
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2275 on: April 15, 2012, 08:44:52 am »
I bought one yesterday ( £3) on my way to Holy Trinity for the Bungee jump which was cancelled. A right load of rubbish, most of the content was so old I had heard the jokes at school.
What got me upon reading same was the bit inside the front cover--- a percentage of the cover price is retained by the vendor--
As you say Bri, the content is undated and could have been printed years ago.
Caveat emptor!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2276 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:39 am »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2277 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:33 am »
Have added a comment to that.
Shut down indeed. :rage:
Wish I hadn't been in a benevolent mood--- I'm not usually ! :D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2278 on: April 15, 2012, 10:55:21 am »
Hang on to those Rag Mags - In 50 years time when everyone else has cast them out with the recycling, _))*  they will be the only ones in existence and probably worth a fortune!   L0L

Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #2279 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:17 am »
Oh heck I was taken in by a woman outside "Burtons".  I asked if she was from Bangor Uni. as I usually support them.  She told me she had a scholarship to study design at a college in Preston.  Ho hum ever been had!

Seems to me anyone can rock up in Llandudno and play musical instrument badly or beg etc. and there's no one to chase them.