Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612575 times)

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #2190 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:35 pm »
01/03/12 - Conservation Areas
The Council has a duty to preserve listed buildings and designated conservation areas.

Some historic commercial buildings have had PVCu windows and doors installed without consent.

Properties that are commercial, namely those in use as flats, apartments or in mixed-use, for instance shops and offices/flats must apply for planning permission, or if applicable, Listed Building Consent for installing modern and PVCu windows if these differ from the previous features. Many owners have not been checking with the planning authority prior to carrying out works.

The situation regarding future enforcement action against historic properties that have been the subject of unauthorised changes will be considered individually on the circumstances of the particular case. In the case of listed buildings, the character established by authentic historic fabric and features is of particular and protected importance. Unauthorised changes represent a criminal offence and there is no immunity period in respect of enforcement.

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=142&doc=30826&Language=1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I've had an e-mail from Guto Bebb M.P. on the subject of UPVC windows which I'll share with you

Guto Bebb MP

Public Meeting

Saturday 24th March 2012 at Imperial Hotel, Promenade, Llandudno

10.30am – 12noon.

Guto is concerned at the attitude of Conwy County Borough Council with regard to replacement windows in Listed Buildings and the wider Conservation Area.  He would like to hear your concerns and views.

Constituency Office/Swyddfa Etholaeth – 1 Ashdown House.  Riverside Business Park.  Conwy.  LL32 8UB

For details please phone/am fanylion ffoniwch: 01492 583094.   Or e-mail/neu ebost: office@gutobebbmp.co.uk

Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2191 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:41 am »
Lots of demolition and clearance work going on at the back of the Clarence Hotel today. Apparently, the former garage block can't be demolished yet as CCBC have still not processed paperwork...  &shake&

Thanks to our reporter on the ground for this photo:

Offline dwsi

« Reply #2192 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:13 pm »
nice to see someone else who has reporters on the ground  D)  _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2193 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:11 pm »
nice to see someone else who has reporters on the ground  D)  _))*
:laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2194 on: March 09, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »
The Alexandra Hotel is having the missing 'O' from its original Victorian wooden sign replaced on Sunday morning, along with the damaged window in the tower. How many of you had noticed it was missing?

Offline Paddy

« Reply #2195 on: March 09, 2012, 06:54:44 pm »
I began my illustrious drinking career at The Alex many years ago but I've never noticed.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2196 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:02 pm »
With the welcoming sight today of Mike driving up and down the Orme to the pitch and putt course  it must mean spring cannot be too far away. Welcome back mike.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2197 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:40 am »
This was on the Cabinet agenda yesterday:

20. Disposal of Former Youth Club at Trinity Avenue, Llandudno
View the reasons why item 20. is restricted
View the background to item 20.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2198 on: March 14, 2012, 08:34:28 am »
Clouds of dust billowing out of the windows at the Clarence yesterday afternoon. :o
Cars and everything else covered, we could taste it in the air as late as 10.15 last night.
I imagine that this will provoke another bout of grumbling.
Omelettes and eggs come to mind again ! :roll:
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2199 on: March 15, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »
A drilling rig has been brought into Arvon Ave to test ground levels at the Clarence Hotel, after builders found that the subsidence problem was far worse than anticipated.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2200 on: March 15, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »
A drilling rig has been brought into Arvon Ave to test ground levels at the Clarence Hotel, after builders found that the subsidence problem was far worse than anticipated.
I wonder if they will turn out to be as bad as the ones at the Pen Morfa (Gogarth Abbey)  and the whole building will have to come down   WWW
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2201 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:33 am »
I suspect the Arvon Ave frontage is going to need substantial underpinning at best. At worst, that part of the building may need to be rebuilt.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2202 on: March 16, 2012, 08:00:43 am »
Who is going to tell Andrew Roberts that the project may take a little bit longer than 1 year.oops

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2203 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:52 am »
I wonder if they will turn out to be as bad as the ones at the Pen Morfa (Gogarth Abbey)  and the whole building will have to come down   WWW

Maybe the developers are hoping so!   However, the subsidence problems at the Clarence are not new and the poor ground conditions have been known about for over 15 years to my knowledge.   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2204 on: March 16, 2012, 09:23:39 am »
I remember John Oddy talking about the subsidence problems several years ago. One look at the photo of the rig I posted shows a substantial movement in that part of the building above the archway.