Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2615623 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1710 on: November 06, 2011, 12:50:03 pm »
I enjoyed them from up on the colonnades, seemed like a good show but I hadn't been for several years so hard to say if better or worse than last year. Was it supposed to be set to music, we couldn't hear any?

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #1711 on: November 06, 2011, 05:41:35 pm »
Well our children thought the fireworks were fantastic and we were in a great spot at the bottom of Happy Valley. I thought there was going to be music too but it didn't spoil it that there wasn't, we had a great night !  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1712 on: November 06, 2011, 10:16:02 pm »
Grabbed this photo of the fireworks (only done with a cheap camera balanced on a railing, so not top quality!):

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #1713 on: November 06, 2011, 11:00:03 pm »
Wow, that's a great pic DaveR. I had to delete all ours, they were utter rubbish! How cheap is your cheap camera then? (Ours was about 80 quid in the sale and I can never take a good pic at night!)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1714 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:58 am »
The coast road is currently completely closed between Bryn Y Bia and the top of Penrhyn Hill, looks like a crash.
A MAN was seriously injured and two others suffered minor injuries after a smash in Llandudno on Saturday evening.

Emergency crews were alerted to the incident outside the Craigside Inn on Colwyn Road at 8.18pm.

A police spokesman said a vehicle had collided with another vehicle and struck a lamppost.

Three ambulances and two fire appliances were sent to the scene.

A North Wales Fire Service spokeswoman said firefighters from Llandudno used cutting equipment to release the casualty from the wreckage of the vehicle.

“While he was being cut out, paramedics, assisted by fire crews, cared for the casualty,” the spokeswoman added.

A Wales Ambulance NHS Trust spokesman said the man was unconscious in the vehicle.

“He was taken by ambulance to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan for treatment.

“Two other casualties, described by paramedics at the scene as ‘walking wounded’, were also treated at the scene and taken to hospital for further treatment.”

The condition of the injured man was not known.

Joan and Alf Nugent were walking to the pub to meet friends.

“We’d been to see the firework display on the prom and heard a loud noise. We knew it wasn’t a firework and it looked a nasty crash,” said Joan.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident. Anyone with information is asked to call 101, 0845 607 1001 or 845 607 1002.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/11/07/three-taken-to-hospital-after-llandudno-crash-55578-29731987/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1715 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:58 am »
Wow, that's a great pic DaveR. I had to delete all ours, they were utter rubbish! How cheap is your cheap camera then? (Ours was about 80 quid in the sale and I can never take a good pic at night!)
It's a Nikon S640, you can get one for about £100. It's ok but nothing special.

Taking good photos at night means either using a tripod or sitting the camera on top of a wall or similar. The long shutter speeds needed for night exposures means that trying to do it hand held will just result in a blurred mess. Ideally, for something like the fireworks, you would set up a camera on a tripod and choose an exposure of about 5-10 seconds, that way you capture the fireworks from the moment it leaves the ground to it exploding in the sky (like in my pic above). You could also have a a far longer exposure, like 20 seconds, and capture several fireworks in the same photo.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1716 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:00 am »
That's a great photo of the fireworks, Dave.  I went down on to the beach with some friends and we thoroughly enjoyed the show.  A few of the fireworks seemed to come up from the sea - does anyone know how they did that? 

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #1717 on: November 07, 2011, 11:39:04 am »
Rowing boat?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1718 on: November 07, 2011, 12:40:54 pm »
I did wonder about a boat but I thought that it might be a bit difficult to "Light blue touch paper and retire"!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1719 on: November 07, 2011, 01:00:17 pm »
Mounted on a raft and detonated by remote control!  Maybe!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline CurlyCap

« Reply #1720 on: November 07, 2011, 01:27:45 pm »
Thanks for the info on the night shots DaveR, I'll keep trying and hopefully perfect them for next year !

As Blodyn said, some of them did come up from the sea and were very effective. (Although a friend of ours watched a firework display in Benidorm last year where they set them off in the sea and the next morning the beach was covered in dead fish !!)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1721 on: November 07, 2011, 01:53:32 pm »
Whether you rated the fireworks in Llandudno as good or poor, spare a thought for these poor so and so's in Oban.

Due to a technical hitch, the whole display which was due to last half an hour, went off in 50 seconds!

Here is the short but sweet display...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15611160
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1722 on: November 07, 2011, 02:23:45 pm »
Priceless!    L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1723 on: November 07, 2011, 04:35:02 pm »
Just been past the pier entrance and noticed that the amusement arcade was closed. Theres a notice on the door saying that they will be closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the Winter. Never known that happen before, they've always opened every day - Six Piers must be struggling.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1724 on: November 07, 2011, 10:47:43 pm »
Just been past the pier entrance and noticed that the amusement arcade was closed. Theres a notice on the door saying that they will be closed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the Winter. Never known that happen before, they've always opened every day - Six Piers must be struggling.

Ha!  If thats the case, I shall open MORE...
Because the small amount amount of money spent on that pier at this time of year, may well drft towards me!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -