Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616706 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1500 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:03 am »
Llandudno carnival unlikely to go ahead next year
Aug 18 2011 by Judith Phillips, North Wales Weekly News

IT’S unlikely there will be a Llandudno Carnival next year as the weekend two-day event operated at a loss.

Organiser Linda Groom said people seem to have been put off by the £3.50 entrance fee which also included entry to Bodafon Farm Park in Craig-y-Don.

“It was very disappointing that we didn’t get better support as the event was in aid of two local charities, Ysgol y Gogarth and St David’s Hospice,” she said.

“We had the best ever entry for the carnival queens competitions, and for the morris dancing and majorettes, with competitors coming from all over North Wales and the north of England, but it was a pity local people didn’t support us better.

“It’s unlikely it will be held again, and I’m not willing to continue as chairman as it’s upsetting to put in so much work and not get public support,” she explained.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/08/18/llandudno-carnival-unlikely-to-go-ahead-next-year-55243-29252943/

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1501 on: August 19, 2011, 10:06:41 am »
 ;) I pray that CCBC parks dept do not get a job lot of chrysthanums again next year ,tyey look cheap and nasty, not sure what Conwy and Colwyn Bay have got.Obviously they have made massive cuts in staff and flowers ,no weeding ,very little grass cutting, ok sign of the times but what will they cut next Llandudno railway station development .

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #1502 on: August 19, 2011, 12:17:40 pm »
Actually I was thinking how nice and jolly the orange and yellow flowers round the islands are looking especially in the misderable weather. Shame they do it just for that competition - isn't that cheating?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1503 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
As I drove round the roundabout, by the Carleton, I too thought how cheerful the huge Marigolds edged with blue Lobelia looked !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1504 on: August 19, 2011, 02:55:04 pm »
The Carlton display is a good one.  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1505 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57:36 pm »
Probably the only one I see as I usually have to wait to drive round the roundabout. $good$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1506 on: August 19, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »
 ;) If everyone is happy with the display , no problems.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1507 on: August 19, 2011, 05:34:12 pm »
The ones on the Prom need the most attention, as far as I can see. Weeds everywhere, large patches of bare earth, half dead plants...not good.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #1508 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
I walked up Mostyn Street today and also thought how nice the marigolds looked on the corners of  Trinity Square

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1509 on: August 20, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
This clever device appeared outside the Library a few weeks ago; it is a touch screen information point and contains information on everything from local cafes to the time of the next bus or train.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1510 on: August 20, 2011, 08:57:50 pm »
Looks very similar to one put up in Llanrwst a fair while ago. I thought that was fine except I had some doubts about its positioning. Its in the main car park on the way to the toilets, and, maybe, walked past to the town. Apart from that, full marks.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1511 on: August 22, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »
Escape to the country on BBC at the moment. Just done a piece on Llandudno, the pier, St Tudno's church.

Just catching up with things after a week away.

This sounds like a programme which my sister saw the last time it was on.  My sister was horrified to hear the Blue Badge Guide talking about St. Tudno's Church while in the background could be seen not the ancient church of St. Tudno but the 20th century cemetery chapel!  It was also a bit odd that the Guide was able to pronounce "Llandudno" correctly but could not do the same with "Tudno".  Blue Badge Guides are supposed to know what they are talking about, so my sister emailed the Guide in question and received a rather unsatisfactory answer about the BBC being responsible for what was shown.  It seemed to be very sloppy research and production. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1512 on: August 25, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »
The view over Llandudno just before the thunderstorm hit this afternoon:

Offline dogstail

« Reply #1513 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:41 am »
the sky was awfully dark when i was lookin out the window at work, didnt hear any thunder although many people told me it did!!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1514 on: August 26, 2011, 01:27:30 am »
Looks like a volcano erupted in the Carneddau.  :)