Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2617030 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1410 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21:00 pm »
:( I am not quite sure how many cuts have been made in the CCBC parks dept, but considering its the hight of the season our grass and flower beds have been left unweeded and uncut and it all looks a mess,Either CCBC parks dept are only concentrating on Conwy and Colwyn Bay or they have nobody to look after Llandudno. :rage:
Very true, Wrex. I don't see why the Town Council can't save the £4000+ cost of the Civic Sunday event and spend that on enhancing the flower displays around town? Something that all the people could appreciate, not just the chosen few...  $angry$
I saw this comment on Oscar's blog:

"In the Bay of Colwyn Town Council we don't have a sergeant of a Mace bearer or any other trappings of pomp and ceremony. Our Mayor making ceremony is done at the AGM of the council and the mayor lays on a buffet for visiting mayors. There is a Civic Sunday church service and lunch which councillors themselves have to pay for. The Mayor's Allowance is £1000 per year, to pay for travel, hospitality and any contributions the mayor wish to make to societies etc that invite them -such as raffle tickets, donations. The Mayor also hols an event to raise money for their nominated charity."

Take note, Mayor Robbins! The Town Council is not a gravy train to fund your jollies!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1411 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »
Several people have commented to me lately about the street traders that have appeared in Llandudno. First, there was the Jewellery guy often to be found outside RBS, now there is the Temporary Tattoos stand that wanders around Mostyn Street. I take it they are operating illegally, or can we all set up shop on the pavement free of any rent or rates to pay? At a time when CCBC is cracking down on legitimate businesses with a A Board on the pavement or a cafe displaying signage on its canopy, it seems a little odd that they are quite happy for the street traders to continue operating?

Wheel clamp them  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline dwsi

« Reply #1412 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »
Several people have commented to me lately about the street traders that have appeared in Llandudno. First, there was the Jewellery guy often to be found outside RBS, now there is the Temporary Tattoos stand that wanders around Mostyn Street. I take it they are operating illegally, or can we all set up shop on the pavement free of any rent or rates to pay? At a time when CCBC is cracking down on legitimate businesses with a A Board on the pavement or a cafe displaying signage on its canopy, it seems a little odd that they are quite happy for the street traders to continue operating?

I saw this street trader on towyn crossroads 2 weeks ago

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1413 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:30 am »
The Council have the powers to deal with such matters but like fly posting, promenade parking by campers and a miriad of other things they do absolutely eff all. >>>

They make the Rules and then throw the book away it seems!    $angry$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1414 on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:28 am »
I was amazed to see the temporary tattoo man providing his service yesterday right outside M&S. He was almost in the place where the man normally stands with the Big Issue.
 If it is illegal how they possibly could stand in such a prominent position?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1415 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:49 pm »
Nice to meet you and your family today, Barbiroli.  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1416 on: August 03, 2011, 06:23:56 pm »
I was amazed to see the temporary tattoo man providing his service yesterday right outside M&S. He was almost in the place where the man normally stands with the Big Issue.
 If it is illegal how they possibly could stand in such a prominent position?
The Tattoo Man and Jewellery Man were side by side outside RBS Bank today, I'm surprised the Manager hasn't asked them to move.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1417 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:40 pm »
They may well be on land leased or owned by the Business (Bank or whatever). They only commit an offence if they trade on the public highway (pavement) and do not have the required licence.  You can bet they know the law and use it to their own advantage! 
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1418 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15:20 pm »
Interesting, I'll have to set up a car boot sale stall there, it would save me the cost of the pitch fee :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1419 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
...and i shall have a fleet of bicycles selling ice cream from pavement locations throughout Llandudno!

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #1420 on: August 03, 2011, 08:22:32 pm »
Maybe PC MIke Smith could tell us what the law is and why they are not being moved on?
I have often seen sellers in cities packing up quickly and moving on if they see a policeman coming.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1421 on: August 03, 2011, 08:33:37 pm »
...and i shall have a fleet of bicycles selling ice cream from pavement locations throughout Llandudno!

Mobile Ice-Cream sellers have to have a licence!  They get moved on by the CEO's (Parking Bods).  If my memory serves me right all Llandudno Roads are covered by the Statute and Trading is forbidden.  Begging is easier!   Sit there with a cap in front of you, say nothing and people will literally throw money at you! L0L

Hollins - they don't want to get booked and the offence generally used is Obstruction of the Highway (pavement).
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1422 on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:04 pm »
Speaking of begging, I notice that a man has taken up residence in the entrance to the empty Hoosons Corner premises and is there begging every day.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1423 on: August 03, 2011, 10:49:30 pm »
Before I took on my current miniscule business on Llandudno Pier, I applied to CCBC to be able to sell local seafood produce, from a mobile van around town.

I wanted to sell Conwy mussels etc, as I had seen a kiosk on Conwy Quay with a long queue, and I thought it would be a nice business in many ways.  (I could eat the left overs too!)
CCBC gave me the list of streets where trading would be allowed, (at a price for the license)
You've guessed it,  any street of any reasonable footfall was banned, ... I think Madoc St was the closest I was allowed to get to real people.  So it was a non-starter.

But now, if the tattooist and jewellery guy can hawk their wares unmolested, then I might as well set up on the Prom, next to the Punch and Judy.  Whats fair for one.....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1424 on: August 04, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »
Well, what an interesting afternoon I've had. I was just walking through town when I spied a Friend of the Forum. He told me that workmen were busy in the Clarence Hotel, so we went over to see and, after a brief chat, were allowed to go inside for an accompanied look around.

We went in though the side door and straight into the old Beijing Chinese Restaurant (originally the Royal Oak Bar). No furniture remained, but the old range in the kitchen was intact and still smelt of Chinese food! We then walked through into what had latterly been the Rumourz bar before closure. There were pools of water on the floor here and you could see where a large section of ceiling had collapsed over the bar. There was also an old Punchball coin-operated machine, that had been destroyed by vandals. The smell of damp was very strong. On the ceiling here was a massive plasterwork rose, must have been 10 foot across, still in good condition. There was a very nice tiled floor in this area, must have been original, very intricate design.

Next up was the old main staircase area - another massive plasterwork ceiling rose and an ancient lift (the sort where you had to slide the metal folding door across) was slotted into the middle of the staircase. A quick peep through into the old Sakura Restaurant (still furnished), and we headed up the once very grand staircase to the First Floor. It was sad to see that some of the carved wooden tops of the staircase bannister had been smashed by vandals but the good news was that there were lovely stained glass windows on the staircase that were completely intact.

On the First Floor, we had a quick look in the Bedrooms, still furnished in some cases with wardrobes etc but everything combustible is currently being removed from the building. There were small items of debris strewn around the entire building and I noticed the electric sockets and switches had been ripped out by thieves. Up again to the second floor, lots more bedrooms with odd pieces of furniture in them and even the odd picture hanging on the wall. Floor was a bit ropey in places, perhaps as a result of thieves pinching copper pipes. Up once more to the top floor, lots of attic rooms that must once have accommodated the staff. Not tiny rooms but not much fun for a tall guy like myself, as headroom was very limited in the corners. The roof was leaking in quite a few places and the plaster had fallen away. A quick look into the room that held the winding gear for the Lift (all original) and we headed back down.

No photos, I'm afraid, it was a spur of the moment visit and it was too dark inside for my iphone camera to operate. The building was actually in slightly better shape that I expected, but a considerable investment will be needed to transform it into its new role. As to what that role is, it would appear that my earlier 'unconfirmed fact' regarding the new owners was correct.  ;)