Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2646563 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1335 on: July 20, 2011, 07:47:51 pm »
  :-[   So Mr Williams of the Hospitality Assoc has spoken up and what has he come up with,Llandudno needs a multi-story car park,who would spend millions in Llandudno on a car park ,hope someone tells him there is a new car park going on the station .   

I think we have known since the year dot that Llandudno needs to do something about its traffic problem.  More parking is not the answer.  Parking outside of the town is what we need.   Park and Ride has been spoken of but to my mind not with enough thought.

Llandudno is not the only place with a traffic and parking problem, Colwyn Bay has a lesser problem and Conwy has an increasing problem.

I think a Park and Ride could be set up (and more important a viable solution) by having a P & R system to service all three areas with a circular journey in both directions.   All that is required is a suitable piece of land within the triangle of the Three Towns, such as the strip alongside the A470 between the Junction and  Llandudno.

It could be called the Three Towns Park and Ride!!!   ZXZ   What does everybody else think?   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1336 on: July 20, 2011, 09:35:35 pm »
It would have to be linked to the A55 somewhere central so what about one of the fields around the Mochdre area?
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1337 on: July 21, 2011, 12:26:55 am »
First, I think that more needs to be built and created to give people a reason to bring their cars here...

Before you build more carparks, build more attractions!

The amount of signs in hotel windows saying 'VACANCIES' in July is pretty alarming.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1338 on: July 21, 2011, 09:25:50 am »

The amount of signs in hotel windows saying 'VACANCIES' in July is pretty alarming.

One of the reasons for this is that since the completion of the A55 Expressway and the M56 Llandudno has become within the day trip limit from as far away as Birmingham and Sheffield etc.   The increase in day trip coach traffic over the past years has been a testament to this.

Irrespective of vacancies in hotels the traffic problem still exists.  Before increasing this problem by attracting more visitors we have to ensure that the infrastructure is in place to cope with the numbers!   Also Llandudno is a centre for tourism in North Wales and it is not just local attractions that bring people here.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1339 on: July 21, 2011, 09:38:40 am »
Before we spend all this money, it's worth nothing that car journeys are actually falling in response to high fuel prices. 30% of drivers have cut down on longer car journeys. This is a trend that can surely only continue as oil supplies diminish? Perhaps we should be thinking about building a bigger Railway Station instead?  ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13863089

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #1340 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:14 am »
Before we spend all this money, it's worth nothing that car journeys are actually falling in response to high fuel prices. 30% of drivers have cut down on longer car journeys. This is a trend that can surely only continue as oil supplies diminish? Perhaps we should be thinking about building a bigger Railway Station instead?  ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13863089

I somewhat agree with what you say but for a family of 4 it is still much cheaper (and more convenent) to travel by car!   Before the railway comes back into its own, people will have to change their mentality about having a door to door service!    ;)

Cicero

Offline dingo20

« Reply #1341 on: July 21, 2011, 10:42:53 am »
Park and ride seems like a good idea what about a free circular bus services - hop on hop off - like the one's operating in Manchester which stop at all the tram and rail way stations and the main attractions within the city. You could extend this to Colwyn Bay and Rhyl which would encourage the need for people not to use their cars. With families you can get a family rail card which is about £ 10 (this could've gone up) this give 2 for 1 on some tickets. What about a taxi pick up linked in with the hotel / B&B's deals they offer. I did see one hotel in Colwyn Bay that offers a home pick up drop off and day trips using their own vehicles, good idea? Add a suppliment to cover fuel?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1342 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:48 am »
Many people are not aware of a scheme called Groupsave, whereby 3 or 4 people can travel by train for the price of 2. Applies to any destination in the UK, single or return.

"GroupSave offers the opportunity for three or four people (minimum one adult) to travel for the price that two adults would normally pay on various off-peak ticket types. Up to four additional children can accompany the main party, and travel at the flat fare of £1 each, single or return (not valid on ScotRail). In addition two children under the age of five can travel free of charge with each fare paying passenger."

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/pr354fdc0a0400020101fea1769fbf60/details.html

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1343 on: July 21, 2011, 10:53:52 am »
I somewhat agree with what you say but for a family of 4 it is still much cheaper (and more convenent) to travel by car!   Before the railway comes back into its own, people will have to change their mentality about having a door to door service!    ;)

It will be along time before I'm forced out of using cars (probably never!), I love travelling in my own space and don't forget two thirds of the petrol price is tax  :rage: :rage:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1344 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
There's always the Segway....

Offline dingo20

« Reply #1345 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:20 am »
What about a horse and trap or ever a donkey

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1346 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:25 pm »

As I said just the other day, I'd love a go on one of them  :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1347 on: July 21, 2011, 12:05:51 pm »

there's an idea, remove the horse from the trap and fit an engine! wonder if anyone's tried that yet?  ^*^0

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1348 on: July 21, 2011, 12:24:26 pm »

there's an idea, remove the horse from the trap and fit an engine! wonder if anyone's tried that yet?  ^*^0

Yes they have. It was called a Horseless Carriage. The forerunner of the modern motor car.  :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1349 on: July 21, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »

As I said just the other day, I'd love a go on one of them  :laugh:
Just looking at their UK website. The main model, the i2, has a 24 mile range and top speed of 12.5mph. Would be ideal for the cycle track along the Prom!
http://www.segway-uk.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=5