Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612072 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1305 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:11 am »
to think, there used to be a great tramway here and in the good old days of the Llandudno Urban District Council great rides on great old buses (Marine Drive and the Circular tour) I like DaveR's  idea of hiring vintage buses, it could combine with the current Marine Drive Tour  D)

Where did it all go wrong?....   (still a great place though! :) )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1306 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:09 pm »
The delivery of water to the standing steam train yesterday has badly damaged the station platform.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1307 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »
Light rail systems cost a minimum of $15m (so say £10m) a MILE.

That's assuming land purchasing - the biggest element - ground levelling and much more.  A local tramway could operate on the proms and public highway, which would slash the capital investment required, plus the fact that Tram systems - although incurring initially higher capital costs than buses - recoup this through greater reliability, prolonged life and passenger attraction.  Can't imagine too many making a special trip to Llandudno to ride a bus....  WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1308 on: July 12, 2011, 06:29:19 pm »
Hmmm...how many towns of Llandudno's size have had a tram system built in the last 50 years?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1309 on: July 12, 2011, 06:36:02 pm »
Two things I noticed in town today...the Cashpoint at Lloyds Bank was out of action and it looked as though it had been attacked, the bit where the cash comes out was melted away. Secondly, there seems to be a Lifeboat launching trial taking place next to the Paddling Pool.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »
Hmmm...how many towns of Llandudno's size have had a tram system built in the last 50 years?

Good reason to start the ball rolling...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1311 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:00 pm »
Two things I noticed in town today...the Cashpoint at Lloyds Bank was out of action and it looked as though it had been attacked, the bit where the cash comes out was melted away. Secondly, there seems to be a Lifeboat launching trial taking place next to the Paddling Pool.

I saw the destroyed cashpoint too, all burnt out.....  there was a sign attached saying ''out of order''   The most pointless sign in the history of the world I thought.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1312 on: July 12, 2011, 11:13:44 pm »
I saw the destroyed cashpoint too, all burnt out.....  there was a sign attached saying ''out of order''   The most pointless sign in the history of the world I thought.

how about this one?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #1313 on: July 14, 2011, 04:01:21 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous and if anyone knows how to keep this beautiful weather for the next two days I would be most grateful!
My sister is staying in Llandudno for the weekend to clebrate her 20th wedding anniversary.
Fingers crossed but the forecast is bad.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1314 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »
 ;) Im of to Sandwich for the open golf, so when i get back i expect the water feature in the happy valley to be working, the flower beds that CCBC have left to have been weeded, the Arena to be booked up with gigs and at least one shop to have been occupied.I can dream. :-*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1315 on: July 14, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »
There was a lot of activity with the lifeboat going on just beyond the paddling pool on the Promenade today. I didn't stay there long enough to find out what exactly was going on but noticed that there were a number of prominent signs in that area of the prom that said there was to be no parking there on Saturday and Sunday.    ???

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1316 on: July 14, 2011, 04:26:37 pm »
Saw a repeat on BBC 2 last night of the Great British Railway Journeys and it covered Llandudno.  Excellent filming of Llandudno but a pity about the Railway Station which is an eyesore.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1317 on: July 14, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »
Hugo, I am sure I read somewhere they were carrying out a test over at Craigside I suspect for a new lifeboat station.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1318 on: July 14, 2011, 05:08:11 pm »
Yes, it has been a beautiful day again.

We strolled down the promenade and then the pier stopping off for a coffee.

I did something what I have been meaning to do for while and timed the little kiddies’ balloon ride on the pier and noticed for £1.50 per kiddie and the ride always lasts 2 minutes and 45 seconds before cutting off

The speed boat from the jetty lasted 7 minutes and cost only £4 per person.

After having been on the sped boat for the first time earlier this month I would definitely recommend it.

Next, my first trip on the cable cars.    ;D

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #1319 on: July 14, 2011, 05:50:55 pm »
Oooh Bri I went on those cable cars a few years ago and the kids thought it was funny to rock the car..............needless to say I haven't been on them again nor will I.   ;D  Not even I'm that brave.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley